LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 201 users in the forums

Sammie Coates-WR-Auburn

I'm surprised there isn't a thread about Coates already. In many ways he fulfills what a lot of people are looking for at WR for the 49ers, namely, explosiveness, a true downfield threat that can create separation and be a major playmaker. He just came off a 200+ yard performance against Alabama. While raw and in need of development, his upside is undeniable. Coates also has decent size for the position, going about 6'2" and 200 pounds with excellent speed and leaping ability.

Morton would eff up his growth
I think he would be good value in the 2nd round.
Originally posted by Allx9er:

Good thing he won't be around.
Think he will be gone before we can get to him. Nice prospect for the 49ers though
If things stay the same (unlikely), I see no point in taking any receiver that needs any kind of development. There are some pretty legit guys out there however and all of them cannot go in the first round. If we actually do miss the playoffs, things could get really interesting because our pick will be MUCH higher and opens the door to all kinds of trading scenarios.

I'm surprised a thread isn't made on Coates as well. He pretty much has everything we need at the moment. Quite simply, a playmaker.
Seems to be a solid citizen too. I like him as a #2 speed receiver on the outside.
seen him against 'Bama. Sherman would learn to respect his speed very fast, thats for sure. 6-2@200, which seems likely to be almost true, at his speed and with his hands, why not; then again, he would be gone very early.
Originally posted by ChaunceyGardner:
Seems to be a solid citizen too. I like him as a #2 speed receiver on the outside.

That combination starting opposite of Stevie Johnson, with Ellington working the slot, and Patton playing all positions would be lethal.
Originally posted by communist:
seen him against 'Bama. Sherman would learn to respect his speed very fast, thats for sure. 6-2@200, which seems likely to be almost true, at his speed and with his hands, why not; then again, he would be gone very early.

Not sure if that's true. Lots of good WR in this draft. Cooper, White, Coates, Parker, DGB, Funchess, and a handfull of others that I can't think of right now. Someone is bound to fall, and Coates is not a plug and play guy yet, so he's as likely as any to fall to us.

very early=round 1-2, not top10. Sorry, should have mentioned that before
[ Edited by communist on Dec 6, 2014 at 1:04 PM ]
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
I'm surprised there isn't a thread about Coates already. In many ways he fulfills what a lot of people are looking for at WR for the 49ers, namely, explosiveness, a true downfield threat that can create separation and be a major playmaker. He just came off a 200+ yard performance against Alabama. While raw and in need of development, his upside is undeniable. Coates also has decent size for the position, going about 6'2" and 200 pounds with excellent speed and leaping ability.

Agree with you! I was sort of ignoring Coates because I had assumed 1) he would go top fifteen and 2) niners would be drafting bottom fifteen. But I see him sliding down many lists for some reason. Have any idea why?

He's come up several times in other threads, though. We can cut ourselves some slack
Originally posted by Allx9er:

Good thing he won't be around.

Hope your right.
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
That combination starting opposite of Stevie Johnson, with Ellington working the slot, and Patton playing all positions would be lethal.

A new OC + THIS
Share 49ersWebzone