• DeUh
  • Veteran
OG
A.J. Cann
Height 6-3
Weight 313
South Carolina #50

Player Overview

Cann has been a rock for South Carolina at left guard, starting 38 of 39 possible games since redshirting in 2010. He signed with South Carolina as a highly regarded prep, turning down North Carolina, Clemson, Georgia, Tennessee and others to play for coach Steve Spurrier.

Cann has the square-ish frame so condusive to playing inside. Impressive mix of athleticism and power, with a flexible lower body and generating power through his hips, midsection and hands to latch-and-grip with excellent technique.

He bursts out of his stance and quickly gets into position, showing instinctive eyes to know what's happening around him while extending his reach to keep space between himself and his target. He has excellent knee bend and good core flexibility and power to absorb bull rushes and often is able to drive opponents off the ball because of his strength and leverage advantage.

He's alert to stunts and blitzes and can knock defenders down with a powerful punch.

Cann is well respected for his work ethic and leadership and was voted a permanent team captain in 2013.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1737106/aj-cann

NFL Draft Report

Leading into the season, Cann was overshadowed by 6-foot-8, 344-pound Gamecocks offensive tackle left tackle Corey Robinson. But through three games, Cann has stood out. Cann isn't overly big at a listed 6-foot-4 and 311 pounds, but he has few flaws. His handwork is technically sound and violent. He keeps a good base and knows how to adjust.

Against Georgia last Saturday, many of South Carolina's best runs cam directly behind Cann. Even late into the fourth quarter he pushing the acclaimed Bulldogs defenders around to help South Carolina finish off an upset win.

http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2014/9/17/6290617/nfl-draft-report-south-carolinas-a-j-cann-looking-like-a-1st-rounder

[ Edited by DeUh on Mar 2, 2015 at 11:25 AM ]
Excellent looking prospect!
Good looking prospect
  • DeUh
  • Veteran
Reserved For Tape.
[ Edited by DeUh on Feb 1, 2015 at 12:44 PM ]
How good is his pass blocking?

I know it's very early but where do you see him going?
  • DeUh
  • Veteran
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:

Where he really excels is in the run game. His ability to get underneath peoples pads and violently push them around is something to be seen. He plays with excellent leverage and technique.

A violent technician.

In pass protection he plays with a good base and shows very good strength. He is excellent at identifying stunts, twists, and blitzes.

He can get into trouble vs speedy pass rushers.

I think Cann is a 1st - 2nd round talent who should be available in the 2nd round.

Day 1 starter in a power scheme.
[ Edited by DeUh on Feb 3, 2015 at 7:34 PM ]
Originally posted by DeUh:
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:

Where he really excels is in the run game. His ability to get underneath peoples pads and violently push them around is something to be seen. He plays with excellent leverage and technique.

A violent technician.

In pass protection he plays with a good base and shows very good strength. He is excellent at identifying stunts, twists, and blitzes.

Where he can get into trouble is against speedy pass rushers.

At this point I think he is a 1st - 2nd round talent who will be available in the 2nd - 3th round range.

Day 1 starter in a power scheme.

Thanks!
I think this guy deserves a thread. 4 year starter and captain last season. Monster in run game and in pass pro. He's my new target as a round 1 trade down scenario for my mocks. He looks like a potential Pro Bowl LG, and if Iupati leaves, this guy would be a starter day 1.

• DeUh
  • Veteran
http://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/nfl-draft/179884-aj-cann-og-south-carolina/
Originally posted by DeUh:
http://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/nfl-draft/179884-aj-cann-og-south-carolina/

I searched for it but it didn't pop up.

Merge please

He would he nice prospect for the 49ers if we could get him in 2nd round
I have this guy in my Mock.
Perfect fit for our offensive line
  • DeUh
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Quest4six:
I have this guy in my Mock.
Perfect fit for our offensive line

What are your thoughts on him in a ZBS ?

I´m a fan of Cann in a power scheme but think he has the movement skills to excel in a zone blocking scheme as well.
[ Edited by DeUh on Feb 3, 2015 at 7:31 PM ]
Cann is a perfect fit for our system. If there's one guard who might crack the 1st round, Cann might be it. As it stands right now, I am doubtful that he'd make it to our 2nd round pick. We'll see how the combine goes.
Share 49ersWebzone