There are 242 users in the forums

Danny Shelton-DL-Washington

Shelton has been absolutely on fire so far this season. He leads the nation with six sacks and has been a stalwart defender versus the run. Built very thick at 6'2", 330, Shelton has the potential to either play NT or DE in the 49ers system. If anything he might be better off dropping some more weight but I like what I've seen thus far from him. He's an experienced starter and someone that has opened up a lot of of people's eyes this season by stepping his play up.

http://www.columbian.com/news/2014/sep/16/uws-danny-shelton-getting-big-time-attention/

Opposing quarterbacks have a reason to be wary when visiting the shores of Lake Washington this fall.

At nearly 340 pounds, nose tackle Danny Shelton is literally a big reason Washington has one of the most fearsome defensive fronts in the Pac-12.

Shelton's six sacks are the most in the nation despite him not having one in Saturday's 44-19 ingurgitation of Illinois. His 7.5 tackles for loss are second-most in the nation.

The senior's early college years were shaped by trying to overcome the shooting death of his older brother, which he witnessed at age 18.

Now Shelton is being viewed as a possible first-round NFL draft pick.

Saturday was a strong statement from a UW defense that allowed 573 yards to Eastern Washington the previous week.

Against Illinois, the Huskies allowed 351 yards, including 72 rushing yards. They also forced three turnovers, two of which were returned for touchdowns.

"We met together as a defense and addressed the problems that we needed to address," Shelton said. "This game here proved that we can really step up as a defense."

When Illinois linemen double-teamed Shelton, it opened chances for other UW defenders to wreak havoc. Defensive end Hau'oli Kikaha had three of the Huskies' six sacks on Saturday.

Shelton laughed when asked if he's worried about Kikaha challenging him for the team's lead in sacks.

"I think I'm going to have to work out a deal with (defensive line coach Jeff Choate) to take him out a few plays," Shelton said after Saturday's game. "Hau'oli is a great player. He's always going to attack and have that mindset to get to the ball."

National attention

Kikaha noticed a difference in Shelton's intensity when the Huskies gathered for fall camp.

"Danny's practices have been the best by anyone on our team since the start of fall camp, no doubt," he said. "He just has way better pad level than he's ever had. He runs to the ball, he's consistently physical, his energy is always up there and he's finishing plays like it's game day."

[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Sep 20, 2014 at 8:43 PM ]
Between him Carl Davis Mario Edward Jr. And Shawn Oakman, there's going to be a huge surplus of 3-4 DE coming out. We're probably going to have some choices to make at 32.
I hope we're able to get a beast for the DLine.

Fangio probably wouldn't use him but there's always hope.

Interesting guy, where do you see him being picked?
Imo mid second. He could go higher (mid to late first) but there's such a wealth of five tech guys coming out this year that it'll drop him.
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
I hope we're able to get a beast for the DLine.

Fangio probably wouldn't use him but there's always hope.

Interesting guy, where do you see him being picked?

• Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by shmuck:
Imo mid second. He could go higher (mid to late first) but there's such a wealth of five tech guys coming out this year that it'll drop him.

I disagree, if teams view him as a NT, then I think 15-25 range. I've had the opportunity first hand to watch him man-handle Hawaii's O-line. I know it's Hawaii, but he keeps a constant pressure all day. Danny Shelton is most definitely in the mold of Vince Wilfork, drafting Shelton would erase all the mistakes from the 2004 draft.
Originally posted by Kolohe:

I disagree, if teams view him as a NT, then I think 15-25 range. I've had the opportunity first hand to watch him man-handle Hawaii's O-line. I know it's Hawaii, but he keeps a constant pressure all day. Danny Shelton is most definitely in the mold of Vince Wilfork, drafting Shelton would erase all the mistakes from the 2004 draft.

ehh, need to see him against better competition before i start putting him that high. But I like the idea of him being a NT. Although with Dorsey and Williams, I'd much rather take a five tech or a CB.
6-2? sounds like he has got too short arms in order to play as a 2-gap-DE, does he?
count me in on the Shelton bandwagon. guy is an absolute monster
Originally posted by communist:
6-2? sounds like he has got too short arms in order to play as a 2-gap-DE, does he?

Not necessarily. Because he lines up over the guard all he has to do is sit right and keep eyes on the RB coming through one of his holes.Because he is so stout it hard to gain leverage against him so he can often push em backwards and make the play.

so, where would you line him up here? 3-technique? nose?
Originally posted by Kolohe:

ehh, need to see him against better competition before i start putting him that high. But I like the idea of him being a NT. Although with Dorsey and Williams, I'd much rather take a five tech or a CB.

With a better pass rush and a year of playing together, our secondary might look a lot better. I'd love taking Shelton along with another prospect of DE. NT isn't a high need, but it would be nice to have a player like Shelton in the middle. Justin Smith, RayMac, Dorsey, Williams, Carradine, Dial, Shelton, and another rookie DE would be a pretty good rotation for 2015.

But I'm with you and would prefer a CB or a true deep threat at receiver after taking a 3-4 DE.
He's tearing it up.
I saw Dick Sherman on the sidelines for Stanford and I wanted to reach out and slap him.
Originally posted by fortyninerglory:
I saw Dick Sherman on the sidelines for Stanford and I wanted to reach out and slap him.

I saw him too. I wondered if Jim Harbaugh were on the sidelines, what words would be exchanged?
Share 49ersWebzone