LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 231 users in the forums

Any chance Baalke would go after Josh Johnson?

Shop 49ers game tickets
Johnson is the backup QB for the Bucs, and you may remember has been their Wild Cat QB this season. He is schedule to make just under $600,000 next year. Harbaugh was his QB coach when Johnson played at USD.

I was critical when people wanted him in the draft that coming back to the Bay Area would cause to many distractions for him seeing his friends and family are in Oakland, but I think his familiarity with Harbaugh and vise versa would be a cheap short term option for us. If we could trade a 5-7th rounder for him.

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/player_main.aspx?sport=nfl&id=4706
Just how good is Johnson, you ask? Well you might want to start with former San Diego head coach, Jim Harbaugh. “He's the best quarterback in college football, period,” said Harbaugh. Can you say Troy Smith, Brady Quinn? “I've watched Troy Smith play,” said Harbaugh. “Our guy's better.” Those are lofty words of praise from the current Stanford head coach and I wouldn’t have believed him either until I watched Johnson in the East-West Shrine game.

Draft 2008
Global, you are on the right track. If Harbaugh becomes the HC, I could see a short-order trade to obtain Johnson. Freeman is clearly the long-term QB starter in Tampa Bay.

I do think that it might take a 3rd or 4th rounder to get Johnson. That might sound expensive, but look at the Niners track record with 3rd and 4th rounders in recent years (other than Gore). I would rather have a toung guy, with eniugh NFL experience to know the ropes, and one with HC - QB synergy, that some re-tread who has already reached his ceiling.

If Harbaugh gets hired as the Niner HC, this trade for Johnson could go down within a week.
what is this infatuation with the former QBs of Harbaugh?
Theres already a thread about this.

http://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/thread.php?num=150701

[ Edited by jojomellon on Jan 4, 2011 at 22:38:17 ]
Harbaugh was bragging about his QB compared to Troy Smith when they were in college right?

It's not like he said either one of them is a franchise QB. I don't see the point in getting him.
Share 49ersWebzone