LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 221 users in the forums

Kawakami Makes the Case for Jim Harbaugh as our next Head Coach

Shop 49ers game tickets
Kawakami thinks that Harbaugh > Gruden because (1) Gruden may not be compatible with the 49ers internal power structure and (2) Harbaugh is a lot cheaper than Gruden.

http://blogs.mercurynews.com/kawakami/2010/11/23/jim-harbaugh-the-49ers-likely-opening-their-plans-and-the-jedmarathe-power-structure/
  • Shemp
  • Hall of Fame
awesome article. I also like how it states that in order for the niners to be successful, Jed and Paraag both need to have lesser roles.
Holmgren, Harbaugh, or Gruden. Those are the best options.
Originally posted by BleedRandG:
Holmgren, Harbaugh, or Gruden. Those are the best options.

Yes, with Shurmur and Billick as second-tier options.
man I would love Harbaugh... he will bring an attitude to the offense that would be amazing, what worries me its that he is unproven in the nfl, the other two are excellent way to go also... in the end if the niners do their research and he looks for real I would go with Harbaugh,.....
Originally posted by servegmo:
man I would love Harbaugh... he will bring an attitude to the offense that would be amazing, what worries me its that he is unproven in the nfl, the other two are excellent way to go also... in the end if the niners do their research and he looks for real I would go with Harbaugh,.....

The college thing doesn't worry me, because he doesn't fit the profile of a college coach who fails in the nfl. The failures were career college guys who finally came up.

I don't want to make this comparison, but Harbaugh's resume is more like Walsh: A career NFL guy who took a job at Stanford before going back to the NFL.
I'd love for Harbaugh to become the next HC. The question is, as we all know, is if the Yorks are smart enough to hire him or Holmgren in the first place?
Shurmer may also be a nice addition but I would rather go with Harbaugh. We need to blaze the trail once again.
Originally posted by blunt_probe:
I'd love for Harbaugh to become the next HC. The question is, as we all know, is if the Yorks are smart enough to hire him or Holmgren in the first place?

I don't think they'll repeat the Dennis Erickson experiment all over again.

Jed York has a lot more influence now, and he wasn't in charge with the last two intra-season coaching changes (Erickson and Nolan). Singletary was just too impressive as an interim not to hire. Too bad he was figured out.

What are Harbaugh's credentials? Why is everyone so high on this guy?

Originally posted by Joecool:
Shurmer may also be a nice addition but I would rather go with Harbaugh. We need to blaze the trail once again.

Would Mooch ever consider coming back to the Bay?
Originally posted by nickbradley:

I don't want Mooch back. He will get you only so many wins before he levels out and he's not an attack type of coach. The talent on this team with him was immense on the offensive side at the time. Personally, I think he underperformed with the given talent.
Originally posted by daragon:

What are Harbaugh's credentials? Why is everyone so high on this guy?

1. Familiarity w/ the speed of the NFL Game.
2. Son-of-a-coach
4. NFL QB Coach
5. West Coast Offense
6. Developed Luck
7. Does a lot with limitations at stanford (not a huge school, high standards, etc.)
8. Feiry attitude
Originally posted by nickbradley:

I don't want Mooch back. He will get you only so many wins before he levels out and he's not an attack type of coach. The talent on this team with him was immense on the offensive side at the time. Personally, I think he underperformed with the given talent.

Still should have never fired him. I thought they were going to get Holmgren that year -- he was in an option year.
Thanks for posting that, Nick. That's as enthusiastic as I've been while reading a Niners article in weeks. I've done my best to curtail my enthusiasm regarding Harbaugh as I didn't think we had a hope in hell of landing him, but Kawakami's article got me wondering if it really might be possible. That's likely just desperation going to work within my mind.

I also liked this: "Harbaugh can ask for a lot, but it still might be about half of the Gruden rate. And Gruden has already shown he can mess up a roster when he has full power." Gruden is the Jiffy Lube of Super Bowl winning coaches, we need a full service mechanic--and that's exactly what Harbaugh appears to be.
Share 49ersWebzone