LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 135 users in the forums

Sonicsgate: Requiem for a Team

Saw this on another forum, and thought a lot of you would be interested in watching this- it's basically a documentary about the Sonics franchise relocation to Oklahoma as seen through the eyes of Sonics fans.

Outside the Lines covered this last week it looked pretty interesting.
12321, say wha?!?
That's messed up, makes me really really angry. Seems as though the NBA is more interested in the owners than the fans.
  • crzy
  • Hall of Fame
I watched it. It was depressing. It's why I will never like the Thunder ever even though Durant is badass.
f**k the Thunder.
My Seattleite friends made me watch this after I asked them why they had such hatred for the Thunder earlier this regular season and why not have them be your new favorite team (it seems like the majority of them have adopted the Blazers as "their team") and they sighted this documentary for me to watch...s**ts really upsetting honestly

s**ts ridiculously painful to even imagine...having to go through that kind of pain and see all of that go down without being able to do anything...despite the rallies, the protests, the fan support, all of it was for nothing because at the end of the day, your team, your love, its gone...
Originally posted by AmpLee:
Seriously, f**k David Stern, f**k the mayor, f**k the Starbucks guy, and f**k the current owner/owners. It took a lot of people to shaft Seattle in the tailpipe and every one of these douchebags had a big role. A bunch of money-grubbing worthless excuses for human beings. It's just a microcosm of national and world-wide issues imo.

Fred Hoiberg had nothing to do with this
That was a pretty sad documentary, I can't believe Bennett got the Sonics name rights and history on top of it all. Really makes you realize that this kind of thing could happen to your teams. If the the Santa Clara vote doesn't pass, there's a strong, realistic chance the niners are going to L.A.

However, I also agreed that the tax payers should not have to pay for arenas. The NFL, MLB, NHL, and NBA all have more than enough money to fund these things, but they squeeze the tax payers with threats of taking away their teams because they're greedy money snatchers. I consistently hear these owners, coaches, and players say "this is a business," which it obviously is, so there is no reason for the public to get involved in funding and further deepening these millionares' pockets.

Northern California is definitely going to be losing some of its pro sports franchises in the next decade. The Kings have thier eyes on Las Vegas, The Raiders and Niners have both come up in talks to move to L.A. if they don't get new stadiums, The A's are a real question mark if a stadium deal doesn't go through in San Jose, and I highly doubt the Warriors will move but who knows what direction a new ownership group is going to take this team.
Originally posted by 49erfoeva:
That was a pretty sad documentary, I can't believe Bennett got the Sonics name rights and history on top of it all. Really makes you realize that this kind of thing could happen to your teams. If the the Santa Clara vote doesn't pass, there's a strong, realistic chance the niners are going to L.A.

However, I also agreed that the tax payers should not have to pay for arenas. The NFL, MLB, NHL, and NBA all have more than enough money to fund these things, but they squeeze the tax payers with threats of taking away their teams because they're greedy money snatchers. I consistently hear these owners, coaches, and players say "this is a business," which it obviously is, so there is no reason for the public to get involved in funding and further deepening these millionares' pockets.

Northern California is definitely going to be losing some of its pro sports franchises in the next decade. The Kings have thier eyes on Las Vegas, The Raiders and Niners have both come up in talks to move to L.A. if they don't get new stadiums, The A's are a real question mark if a stadium deal doesn't go through in San Jose, and I highly doubt the Warriors will move but who knows what direction a new ownership group is going to take this team.

Just wow at all of that.

• jrg
  • Veteran

Originally posted by blunt_probe:
f**k the Thunder.
Share 49ersWebzone