LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 251 users in the forums

49ers Article Talking About Baalke Drafting by Talent Instead of Need

• LA49erFan4ever
  • Info N/A
i dont know if any of you have read this yet...

Baalke: 49ers' draft based on talent, not need

David White, Chronicle Staff Writer

Thursday, April 22, 2010

Trent Baalke remembers his predraft routine around this time, last year. Every morning, he'd go for a walk with then-49ers general manager Scot McCloughan, and they would air out their thoughts before getting ready for daylong meetings.

Baalke and McCloughan didn't talk so much about the need to address the offensive-tackle position, or some grand concerns about the quarterback spot. They were dreaming about a top-five talent tumbling into their lap at the No. 10 spot.

"We actually for a week talked about the possibility of Michael Crabtree falling to us," Baalke said. "When Michael fell to us, it was a pretty easy decision to make."

Easy, because the 49ers weren't interested in addressing their most pressing needs. They wanted to pick the best player on the board, whether they needed him or not.

McCloughan is now gone, ousted five weeks ago. Don't expect that draft philosophy to change under Baalke, the director of player personnel who has been handed McCloughan's final say authority for today's NFL draft.

Yes, the 49ers need a cornerback and a safety to strengthen the secondary. Absolutely, they need an offensive tackle, like now, to protect the quarterback.

That doesn't mean the 49ers will use their two first-round picks - No. 13 and No. 17 overall - to plug those leaks. That's what makes them such an unpredictable factor in this draft, capable of single-handedly ruining every mock draft on Earth's face.

Team officials say Alex Smith is their quarterback, but they won't rule out drafting a quarterback if, say, Notre Dame's Jimmy Clausen falls their way. They talk up the trade for speed receiver Ted Ginn Jr., but won't allow that to disqualify them from taking, perhaps, Oklahoma State's Dez Bryant.

"When you're up in the first round, you're trying to put the best football players you can on your team," Baalke said. "I think that's exactly why you don't lock yourself into positions. That's why you place value on players and you draft based on their value and not just on your need.

"We're a value-based team. The board is going to reflect their value as a player. Then, we'll address the needs."

This can make for some fascinating scenarios, starting with Bryant.

Bryant would be long gone by No. 13 if he didn't knucklehead his way to a season-ending suspension last season, lying to NCAA investigators about his involvement with NFL Network analyst Deion Sanders.

If Bryant is there as expected, the 49ers will have decided if the reward is worth the risk. They interviewed him at the NFL combine. They hosted him at team headquarters.

Coach Mike Singletary and Baalke went to so far as to travel to Bryant's personal pro-day workout in east Texas. Name another prospect who got three rounds of face time with them.

"You put on the film, and the film says yes," Baalke said of Bryant's lid-lifting speed. "You take the stopwatch, the stopwatch says no. We believe what the films tells is and, every chance he's had, he's gotten behind people, he's gotten deep. We definitely feel he's the type of guy who can do the same things in the NFL.

"We have no problems with Dez Bryant's character. None whatsoever."

The situation is no different with Clausen. He is clearly the second-best quarterback, which makes him a value at No. 13.

The 49ers insist Smith is their quarterback, but the 2005 No. 1 pick is under contract through 2010, then that's it.

Remember, the 49ers say they are a value-based team. That makes Clausen all the more plausible if he gets past the Seahawks, Raiders and Bills.

"It's always a possibility, you just never know," Singletary said. "It depends on, 'Is he the best guy on the board?' We might have to look at it. I'm never going to say, 'We won't take a quarterback, we've got our guy.' I'm not going to do that."

Which is why they just might, assuming they don't trade down.

After all, if Baalke says nothing has changed in the draft philosophy, and the 49ers haven't gone defensive back in the first round since 2002, and haven't gone cornerback in the top 17 since Ronnie Lott in 1981, and haven't taken an offensive lineman in the top 17 since 1966 ...

Then the unexpected shouldn't be so unexpected.

link:http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2010/04/21/SP6U1D275G.DTL

CJ SPILLER A POSSIBILITY??
[ Edited by LA49erFan4ever on Apr 22, 2010 at 12:43 AM ]
Crabtree and Bryant.....wow. The thought of it is simply stunning.

Yeah, the OL is hurting, but you do not pass up on a Dez Bryant or CJ Spiller.
Originally posted by zillabeast:

I would not be upset if we drafted Bryant or Spiller...I wouldn't even be upset if we drafted both. IMO, you can never have enough playmakers on your team in today's NFL. I think it's more than possible to address RT in the 2nd round...it's not optimal, but not impossible.

That said, I don't think we get out of the 1st round without an OT.
[ Edited by GhostofFredDean74 on Apr 22, 2010 at 12:51 AM ]
  • LA49erFan4ever
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:

I would not be upset if we drafted Bryant or Spiller...I wouldn't even be upset if we drafted both. IMO, you can never have enough playmakers on your team in today's NFL. I think it's more than possible to address RT in the 2nd round...it's not optimal, but not impossible.

but to be honest i dont think we need spiller AND bryant..either one would be enough and then drafing an O linemen would be a good 1st round..what would really be sick is if baalke traded for another 1st rounder in the 20's...

could u imagine a draft like this.. Spiller/Bryant followed by an O-linemen then with the pick we acquire we get Kyle Wilson??

this aint madden i know but if something like that happened on draft day i dont know what the heck i might do
Originally posted by LA49erFan4ever:

but to be honest i dont think we need spiller AND bryant..either one would be enough and then drafing an O linemen would be a good 1st round..what would really be sick is if baalke traded for another 1st rounder in the 20's...

could u imagine a draft like this.. Spiller/Bryant followed by an O-linemen then with the pick we acquire we get Kyle Wilson??

this aint madden i know but if something like that happened on draft day i dont know what the heck i might do

Not sure we'd be willing to pay 3 1st rounders, but as a fan, I'd bust a nut if something like that happened!
  • LA49erFan4ever
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by LA49erFan4ever:

Not sure we'd be willing to pay 3 1st rounders, but as a fan, I'd bust a nut if something like that happened!

well maybe baalke is more gutsy than we think and maybe york is willing to back him up on it
I have warmed up to drafting Bryant, i suppose, as long as Thomas/Bulaga/Berry/Graham are already gone... i guess
[ Edited by Ibleedgoldnred on Apr 22, 2010 at 12:09 PM ]
I think the 49ers take a top 4 OT @ 13 if they're there...unless there's a glaring top player that's slipped -- like Bryant or Clausen.

Bryant AND Spiller would be crazy! Then you take a RT in the 2nd.
Share 49ersWebzone