LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 241 users in the forums

Tampering?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Can someone explain to me how this isn't tampering?

"McCloughan, however, said the team would not be big spenders in free agency. He reiterated that the 49ers' priority would be re-signing their own players, such as Patrick Willis, Vernon Davis and Dashon Goldson. He said he'd love to have someone like, say, CB Dunta Robinson if Robinson reaches free agency. But he wouldn't sign him when his own marquee players needed new deals." from MB's blog

I thought he would have to be released or receive permission to speak with other teams until march 5th when free agency starts. right now, i don't think it is permitted for other GMs to express interest in players that are not free agents. Houston has exclusive negotiating rights.

[ Edited by alburns on Feb 25, 2010 at 12:41:03 ]
soooooo do you want to turn this over to the league or should i do it
I don't think he actually said Robinson's name that might have been put in there by whoever wrote that
Originally posted by valrod33:
soooooo do you want to turn this over to the league or should i do it

neither. but if he actually said this at the combine in front of pretty much everyone, we might be screwed.

reported

[ Edited by BirdmanJr on Feb 25, 2010 at 12:46:01 ]
I don't see tampering... He was just stating his opinion.
Originally posted by lamontb:
I don't think he actually said Robinson's name that might have been put in there by whoever wrote that

from beerows' blog
here is a comment from PFT about the Bears interest in Peppers.

"Technically, the Bears aren't allowed to comment to anyone, publicly or privately, about their interest in Peppers or any other player whose contract has yet to expire. And if the league actually cared about tampering (other than when the 49ers do it), the league employee who has broken the news might have an awkward moment or two in the biggest office at 280 Park Avenue."
shhhhhhh
Houston already said they are not franchising Robinson, making him an unrestricted free-agent. Is that still tampering?

Originally posted by alburns:

"Technically, the Bears aren't allowed to comment to anyone, publicly or privately, about their interest in Peppers or any other player whose contract has yet to expire. And if the league actually cared about tampering (other than when the 49ers do it), the league employee who has broken the news might have an awkward moment or two in the biggest office at 280 Park Avenue."

Difference being he was using someone as a comparison vs. stating out right that they are targeting that individual...

Originally posted by kidash:

Difference being he was using someone as a comparison vs. stating out right that they are targeting that individual...

if not tampering, then dangerously close for a guy that has already been docked picks

if not tampering, then dangerously close for a guy that has already been docked picks

Tampering only works if there was contact with the player and/or agent...

[ Edited by kidash on Feb 25, 2010 at 13:55:21 ]
I wouldn't worry about it. I wouldn't be surprised if the league wrote us an IOU after the incident with the jets this year.

Tampering only works if there was contact with the player and/or agent...

not true. expressing interest in a player without any contact still constitutes tampering.
Share 49ersWebzone