LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 229 users in the forums

Would Taylor Mays really be so bad?

Originally posted by lynwood49ers:
I say we take Trent Williams #13 and if joe haden and earl thomas which i feel are is to small for the nfl are gone at #17. Taylor Mays is worth the pick has great amount of upside and most of the analyst that talk all there non sense about players get it wrong most of the time anyways.Many players that were suppose be great equal bust and many players that werent end up being great. This guy has was to many abilities to pass up.

I think the talk about Haden and Thomas being too small is nonsense.
I think that the issue with Mays is coachability. If he can be coached into better tackling, and more coverage awareness then he may have value. No one is questioning his atheleticism. But I question whether we need to draft someone in the 1st or 2nd round that needs a lot of coaching before he can start. I want our first 3-4 picks to be starter ready. If Mays can do that then lets get him for our SS position and if Lewis goes down Mays should be able to step in an function well for us. If he can't then lets draft a player who can.
I've been one of the MANY Taylor Mays hater on this board, but I'm really starting to warm up to the idea of him being a Niner. If he opted to enter the draft last year, he would've been a top 10 pick no doubt. But since he stayed, we all nitpicked every small thing about him. I took under consideration the fact that he played WAY out centerfield the majority of the time under Carroll's defense. He is a very coachable player and I see his tackling technique to get much better once he becomes a pro.
  • lynwood49ers
  • Info N/A
One more thing I didnt see anyone talking all this mess about troy polamalu even though he had only one interception his senior year at USC. Look at him now.
Originally posted by lynwood49ers:
One more thing I didnt see anyone talking all this mess about troy polamalu even though he had only one interception his senior year at USC. Look at him now.

Good point. This team NEEDS a player like Mays with the lack of speed that we have at Safety and DB.
I wouldn't mind taking him. What he lacks, he can learn. That speed will make up for a lot.
  • lynwood49ers
  • Info N/A
Its funny how everyone labels players bust because when it comes down to it more than half of the first round players drafted end of being bust or mediocre. Most of the analyst that talk crap are always wrong anyway. Just look at mel kiper the guy is an idiot. I just find it hard that a sure top 10 player last year is being so overlooked a year later.

[/u]
[ Edited by lynwood49ers on Apr 14, 2010 at 3:10 PM ]
I would like him at 17. The guy is a physical beast like 52 and 85. They turned out ok. You can be taught to do any job as long as you have the tools to do it. And Mays has all the tools plus some.

No. But that's for asking.
  • lynwood49ers
  • Info N/A
I wouldnt mind taking Taylor at 17. Everyone has something negative to say about this kid but its funny how last year everyone was all over him because he was a sure top 10 pick but a year later everyone hates him. This past year taylor played a different role on USC. He palyed alot more in the box and was not really used to be a ball hawk. Yes he had only 1 interception but so did Troy Polamalu his senior year at USC and i didnt hear everyone talking crap and ripping him. He was taken 16 by the steelers and look how that turned out. This kid has the ability to learn and is very coachable. Look at Bob Sanders of the colts he aint a ball hawk but has great presence in that secondary. All im saying is Taylor has the ability to become a great nfl safety. Taylor and Dashon that would be SICK!!! He went to the senior bowl and was asked to find the football instead of just hitting and that is exactly what he did when he intercepted Tony Pike. He could be the next Ronnie Lott. We should give him a shot.

Its funny how everyone labels players bust because when it comes down to it more than half of the first round players drafted end of being bust or mediocre. Most of the analyst that talk crap are always wrong anyway. Just look at mel kiper the guy is an idiot. I just find it hard that a sure top 10 player last year is being so overlooked a year later.
http://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/thread.php?num=137143&page=18
I think you got merged into this thread...
More Taylor Mays!!!
Share 49ersWebzone