LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 217 users in the forums

Trade Down from 13?

This is a pretty risky move, but if the Niners can get a true upgrade at 17 for their RT position, this is a pretty deep draft. At times, I have been a fan of draft a RT at 13, and a LG at 17, but then I keep thinking, thats just too high for those positions.

But if they traded back, they could do something like:

17: Bryan Bulaga
Later 1st: Iupati

2nd: CB/KR
2nd: OLB/DE
Uh....NO.

We should stay put in the 1st draft Iupati and Bulaga with 1A and 1B..

Then trade our 2nd and 3rd (worth 600 value points per the chart) and for #31, with that choice draft a DB or OLB
Originally posted by DaveWilcox:
Uh....NO.

We should stay put in the 1st draft Iupati and Bulaga with 1A and 1B..

and maurkice pouncey florida center ,to complete the oline remake, in the 2nd round

kind of like when walsh drafted lott, wright & williamson to fix a broken dbackfield
I like the idea of trading down to 20-23 with picking up a second round pick. It really boils down to if you think Iupati will be there in the early 20s. I personally think he will be. Teams just do not place the value on guards that high in the draft. The draft is deep at OT with 5-6 first round talents, so the 49ers will be able to get a quality RT.

If hes stock goes through the roof through the combine keep the 13 (OT) 16/17 Iupati.

[ Edited by noobie on Jan 12, 2010 at 19:39:15 ]
I thought about this too.

In this draft, it looks like a quality OT will be there @ #16/17, seriously. I think our #13 will become very valuable to someone. We could land a first and second for that pick. In this draft, that could be very, very valuable.

That will allow us to land a quality ROT at #16/17 (when you look at it that way instead of LOT, it seems great value according to talent level anyway). Then, we can land another quality player like Iupati in the early twenties or someone else we liked, but not at #13.

Anyway, I believe that this draft will provide some serious options.
Depends on who is on the board & what kind of deal we get to move back in the draft.
Originally posted by noobie:
I like the idea of trading down to 20-23 with picking up a second round pick. It really boils down to if you think Iupati will be there in the early 20s. I personally think he will be. Teams just do not place the value on guards that high in the draft. The draft is deep at OT with 5-6 first round talents, so the 49ers will be able to get a quality RT.

If hes stock goes through the roof through the combine keep the 13 (OT) 16/17 Iupati.

if you want 2 quality OL in the 1st round you can't expect to trade down into the 20's and get both.
I've often thought about this. We hold #13 and their may be a teams eyeing CJ Spiller. With Seattle at 14, and likely thinking about a running back, a team may be willing to trade up to grab Spiller at #13.
Originally posted by tohara3:
Depends on who is on the board & what kind of deal we get to move back in the draft.

• Elric
  • Veteran
13th is to high for a RT. Its not for a left Tackle.Draft a left tackle to back up Staley.
Leave it to Pasho and Boone to fight it out for Rt. Have Snyder to play back up.

But if you have an active mind the Patriots have a pick at #25 and A high snd Round #44 720+460=1180 not even if we give them a 5th this year and 7th in next years draft. There thats fixed

How about Green bays 1st#23 and there second at 2nd #56 that 740+360=1080
We have a ringer. Maybe thay think they need that LT to protect Rogers.
yes the will need to give us compensation 20pts.

oooooooooH how about Philly so close maybe that one player away 1st #24 740 and 2nd #55 at 350 = 1090

Cincy at 1st #21 800 and thier 2nd #54 360 =1160 60 is worth our 4th rounder
mmm they will have to sweaten the pot. I'm only interested in giving up our 7th rounder.

I think the picks should go for quality over quantity at this point. We need impact players, we have enough backups. So no, do not trade down.
Originally posted by matt49er:
Originally posted by noobie:

if you want 2 quality OL in the 1st round you can't expect to trade down into the 20's and get both.

Like i said it all depends on how high you think Iupati is going. I think hell be there in the low 20s.

21 Sam Baker
28 Joe Staley
29 Ben Grubbs
29 Nick Mangold
32 Logan Mankins
34 Chris Snee

plenty of interior linemen in the 20s
Originally posted by ChaunceyGardner:
I think the picks should go for quality over quantity at this point. We need impact players, we have enough backups. So no, do not trade down.

Just keep saying it. Everyone agrees we need starters and impact players. So let's get them.

Imagine the zone if we trade down then find we miss all the top tackles.

To get an extra later pick, I don't believe the risk is worth it.
No stay put. We have the chance to have some good players fall to us.
Originally posted by English:
Originally posted by ChaunceyGardner:

Just keep saying it. Everyone agrees we need starters and impact players. So let's get them.

Imagine the zone if we trade down then find we miss all the top tackles.

To get an extra later pick, I don't believe the risk is worth it.

Yeah but we have an extra pick 3-4 picks later, and there are so many quality players in this draft that are 1st rounder type players IMO that quantity>quality. Like would you rather get Iupati and Bulaga, or Bulaga and Graham and Morgan Burnett or another player. I mean we'd have to wait till we see who is on the board at 13. If Haden is on the board, or Berry, or someone like that, DON'T trade down. If you can get a stud at an impact position. I am all abourd the draft OLine bandwagon, don't get me wrong, but I have a hard time stomaching taking a guard and a right tackle with our 1st 2 picks. They might be good players but if we don't get anything extra that's horrible value IMO. Especially when the guy we want(Iupati or Bulaga) may very well be available 3 or 4 picks later. If there's more players that you like then there are spaces between the 13 and 16/17th picks, then you trade down IMO because you're assured of getting at least one of those players. There are a ton of players I like in this draft, potential late first rounders/2nd rounders include:

Brandon Graham
Jerry Hughes
Patrick Robinson
Sergio Kindle
Jahvid Best
Reshad Jones
Morgan Burnett

we have a hole here and there, not just OLine, OLine's the biggest problem, but you can still fill other problems and get a guard in FA or something. Bobbie Williams and Stephen Neal are going to be free agents. Get one of them, draft a RT, use the other pick to fill other spots, and pick up and extra 2nd and get a safety or something.

[ Edited by WillistheWall on Jan 13, 2010 at 01:57:22 ]
Share 49ersWebzone