LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 273 users in the forums

Hypothetical: Would You Grab Shanahan if We Had the Opportunity ?

Shop 49ers game tickets
  • ZRF80
No.....and no. This is not a bash Singletary because we lost today thread. Im quite content with Singletary's attitude with this team. I think he has better command this his predecessor, and I think the players respond to him since he's one of those "been there, done that" guy.

With that said, it seems like this season will be like every other since the Mariucci era ended. We're probably not going to the playoffs, and even if we did........chances are we'll get our asses handed to us in the first round. I think back to 2005, when we drafted Alex Smith......and how there were rumors that we were willing to trade down for more draft picks. It seemed disheartening that the draft was so weak when it came to QB prospects, and it made it that much worse knowing that the following year boasted talent that we would be (at the time) salivating for.

Sometimes you get that window of opportunity, and we may just get that next season, knowing that guys like Mike Holmgren, Mike Shanahan, Tony Dungy, and maybe even Bill Cowhers might be thinking about comebacks. Forget Dungy and Cowhers, but I would hate for us to lose a golden opportunity to bring back a classic Bill Walsh tutored coach to the Bay Area, just because we felt that Singletary deserves a fair shot. And it would make it even more worse if we lost that opportunity, only to break from Singletary two years from now, and not have a legit coach to go after.

So keeping the following in mind, would you be willing to part ways with Sing for Shanahan knowing:

1) He's a proven coach in this league. Has HAS won Superbowls, and has put winning teams with winning players on the field. He understands how to run a successful football team.

2) He's an offensive genius. He had that great run of RBs that excelled under his tutelage + oline, only to see them leave and become less than adequate on other rosters.

2A) He brings the WCO tradition back to where it belongs. Im sorry, but this Singletary "Im going to play not to lose" philosophy just doesnt fit with Niner tradition. It's as ludicrous as expecting the Steelers to execute the West Coast offense with perfection. Some teams live and die by their legacy. As adamant as Rooney has been to keep the hard nosed, stuff your face football in Pittsburgh, we should expect just the same with the WCO in San Fran. Shanahan will do just that.

3) He's from the Bill Walsh coaching tree. Nuff said.

4) He brings attention back to Ninerland, and we become an NFL franchise on the map just because of his presence alone.

Holmgren would be a great substitute as well, but I prefer Shanahan. I hope we dont miss the opportunity when it presents itself.........
F. YES.
A little off topic but if Houston's year goes down the tube I really hope we make a bid at Shanahan's son for OC.
depends on how the rest of the season pans out. but if the team keeps playing like this I wouldnt mind a change.
Only if he was buying the team
Ya, that's exactly what we need: an entirely new coaching staff, and a new system for all our players to learn AGAIN
  • ZRF80
Originally posted by Thorhawk:
depends on how the rest of the season pans out. but if the team keeps playing like this I wouldnt mind a change.

No forget the season. Im not asking for a knee-jerk reaction here. Lets be honest. We're not winning the Superbowl, we all know that. But even if we miraculously made it to the playoffs, would you be willing to commit to Sing long term, and give up an opportunity to bring back a guy like Shanahan ?
Not to nitpick, but I think Shanny is more from the Reeves coaching tree.

But he had his great three year OC run under Seifert to soak it all up . . . and hell yes . . . that would be a bold move I could get behind.

Chances of happening - - - - less than 1%
Originally posted by YourHuckleberry:
Ya, that's exactly what we need: an entirely new coaching staff, and a new system for all our players to learn AGAIN

Why because Nolan part two, I mean Singletary has transformed this team into pretty much what it has been for the last four years? Really, Sing kept too many of Nolans staff in place, if he doesn't flush Forester and Sullivan then he might just find himself looking for a job.

What exactly has this coaching staff shown that makes you think they are changing the culture here? This team plays and looks like a Mike Nolan coached team if you ask me.
The same problems that plagued the Mike Nolan squads are still evident.

Originally posted by Thorhawk:

What exactly has this coaching staff shown that makes you think they are changing the culture here? This team plays and looks like a Mike Nolan coached team if you ask me.
The same problems that plagued the Mike Nolan squads are still evident.

I'm not saying this team doesn't suck, and they are playing exactly like they have been the last couple years.

I'm just saying we can't dump our new head coach because our team is playing s**tty, after he inherited a s**tty team.
sure would pick Shanahan. Sing and co ucking phugly with a pee.
I guess I would, but I doubt he ever wins a SB. My guess is it will be like Denver where we're in the hunt every year, but never bringing home any glory.
no
  • Mex49
TOMORROW
Share 49ersWebzone