LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 262 users in the forums

Is it time to go to a 4-3 D?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Is it time to go to a 4-3 D?

• pd24
  • Veteran
I think it's time to move on from this 3-4 that Nolan couldn't finish. I think if we go 4-3 with a DL of Smith, Franklin, McDonald, Harlson, with Sop, Balmer, and Brooks rotating in we would have a better rush. The LB's would be Spikes, Willis, and Lawson. The Db's would still be the same. I also think a down 4 will make it eaiser for Lawson or Willis to blitz more.
I think it's time to bring back the big nickel.
  • pd24
  • Veteran
Originally posted by nvninerfan1:

You know against a passing team like the Colts, that is exactly what Nolan would have been playing on Sunday.

LOL Our D shutdown the Cardinals and stopped AP and Favre up until the last 2 minutes and we want to abandon the 3-4? No way man. The problem isn't the defense, when they get rest they play well. The problem is when they have to take chances because of so many 3 and outs by the offense, and they're gambling to make plays because they're getting exhausted. The held an explosive texans offense to 3 points in the 2nd half. Once Smith came in and let them rest they performed admirably. We don't have the pass rushers at the OLB spots, but at the same time if we switched to a 4-3 that'd make it even worse because we don't have the D-Ends and you can't blitz from as many places in the 4-3.
IMO its time to use some 4-6 Mr Sing and knock some QB`s out of the game!
Where's Mike Nolan when you need him??
Ooooohhhh....

Too soon???
  • pd24
  • Veteran
Originally posted by WillistheWall:
LOL Our D shutdown the Cardinals and stopped AP and Favre up until the last 2 minutes and we want to abandon the 3-4? No way man. The problem isn't the defense, when they get rest they play well. The problem is when they have to take chances because of so many 3 and outs by the offense, and they're gambling to make plays because they're getting exhausted. The held an explosive texans offense to 3 points in the 2nd half. Once Smith came in and let them rest they performed admirably. We don't have the pass rushers at the OLB spots, but at the same time if we switched to a 4-3 that'd make it even worse because we don't have the D-Ends and you can't blitz from as many places in the 4-3.

You know switching to a 4-3 won't change anything on how we play against the pass, it might help if we get to the QB. It's easy to hang your hat on a game where we almost won and the 1st game of the year against a rival. The fact of the matter is that Favre still therew for over 300 yards and threw 2 TD's, we got blown out by ATL, and Houston moved the ball pretty easy.

As far as D ends, Justin Smith is a 4-3 D end playing out of position.
Originally posted by pd24:
I think it's time to move on from this 3-4 that Nolan couldn't finish. I think if we go 4-3 with a DL of Smith, Franklin, McDonald, Harlson, with Sop, Balmer, and Brooks rotating in we would have a better rush. The LB's would be Spikes, Willis, and Lawson. The Db's would still be the same. I also think a down 4 will make it eaiser for Lawson or Willis to blitz more.

How many teams have gone through an entire training camp, preseason and nearly one half of the season with a defense, only to change it completely? Do you have any idea what sort of harm a change in defensive scheme would cause the unit? Have you ever played organized sports of any kind?

Put down the controller.

You know switching to a 4-3 won't change anything on how we play against the pass, it might help if we get to the QB. It's easy to hang your hat on a game where we almost won and the 1st game of the year against a rival. The fact of the matter is that Favre still therew for over 300 yards and threw 2 TD's, we got blown out by ATL, and Houston moved the ball pretty easy.

I remember one of the guys on TV saying that Justin Smith has put on more weight since being in the 3-4 and is finally growing into a 3-4 DE. I think it was Billick who said that after talking to him or whatever. If he was still 270 or 280 sure but I'm guessing he's more like 300 now. And one of the good things about the 3-4 is you can blitz from a lot of different angles.

It's actually quite nice this time of the year.

• pd24
  • Veteran

I remember one of the guys on TV saying that Justin Smith has put on more weight since being in the 3-4 and is finally growing into a 3-4 DE. I think it was Billick who said that after talking to him or whatever. [b]If he was still 270 or 280 sure but I'm guessing he's more like 300 now. And one of the good things about the 3-4 is you can blitz from a lot of different angles.
Quote:

The Blitz is the good thing in the 3-4, but we don't have the right people for it. Even if Smith put on weight, his natural position is 4-3 DE, he was a guy that would get 8 sacks a year. We pay him to eat blocks and get 4 sacks a year.
[ Edited by pd24 on Oct 27, 2009 at 1:40 PM ]
  • pd24
  • Veteran
Originally posted by redrathman:

How many teams have gone through an entire training camp, preseason and nearly one half of the season with a defense, only to change it completely? Do you have any idea what sort of harm a change in defensive scheme would cause the unit? Have you ever played organized sports of any kind?

Put down the controller.

Yes I have. All they would Change is Where 2 or 3 guys line up.

Put down the controller.

Are you serious?

Gap assignments totally change. Every scheme and assignment would change for every player inside the box (defensive line and linebackers). Also, the secondary would need to adjust to various blitz coverages.

If you think a team can just one day switch to a scheme they haven't practiced as a unit for any realistic amount of time, you're sorely mistaken.

A prime example is the Jacksonville Jaguars. They're transitioning from a 4-3 to a 3-4 this season, and have yet to fully evolve and we're at week eight.
  • pd24
  • Veteran

Put down the controller.

Are you serious?

Gap assignments totally change. Every scheme and assignment would change for every player inside the box (defensive line and linebackers). Also, the secondary would need to adjust to various blitz coverages.

If you think a team can just one day switch to a scheme they haven't practiced as a unit for any realistic amount of time, you're sorely mistaken.

A prime example is the Jacksonville Jaguars. They're transitioning from a 4-3 to a 3-4 this season, and have yet to fully evolve and we're at week eight.
I don't know how much you watch, but we go 4-3 sometimes, so they know what to do.
Share 49ersWebzone