LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 245 users in the forums

So... is it Hill or is it our W.R.'s?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
First of all... We are 2 and 0 baby!

Second of all... the Panthers are 0 and 2 baby ( we get their 1st round pick)

But what in the world is up with our barely creeping passing game?

After 2 games:

Bruce = 8 rec /13.6 avg / 50 long / 0 TD
Davis = 7 rec/ 10.3 avg/ 19 long / 0 TD
Battle = 3 rec/ 7.7 avg/ 12 long / 0 TD
Morgan = 3 rec/12.7 avg/14 long / 0 TD
Walker = 1 rec / 17.0 avg / 17 long / 0 TD
Spurlock = 0 / 0 / 0 / 0
J.Hill = 0 / 0 /0 /0
It's Hill. He almost admitted as much yesterday after the game that he was playing it safe and not do too much on some of the third down plays.
[ Edited by qnnhan7 on Sep 21, 2009 at 8:31 AM ]
  • SoCold
  • Hall of Dumb
both
hill. He can make the short throws. Hitting a receiver in stride, 30 yards down the field is another story.
  • SoCold
  • Hall of Dumb
didn't Bruce drop like three balls?
Aren't we a running team?
Easily, it's Hill. He's no different than a Jeff Garcia type. They LOVE the 15 and under throws and the middle of the field. They love looking for the crossing routes. Garcia always had and Hill always will have difficulty finding the WRs. Hill even admitted that he had a couple of chances but did not make the throw considering the situation of the game and where they were at.

Like Steve Young said, "That's not good QBing, that's great QBing."

However, take a look at his 3rd down conversions on that long drive: dude came through!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
[ Edited by Joecool on Sep 21, 2009 at 8:37 AM ]
Originally posted by SybErkRimInAL:
hill. He can make the short throws. Hitting a receiver in stride, 30 yards down the field is another story.

this, and i know people are gonna say well he hit Brucs on the 50 yrad pass in stride in week 1 which is true, Hill can deliver that pass every once in a while but he is not consistent with it, Hills game is the short to mid passing game, which is usually where the RBs and TEs routes go.

So i dont see our WRs having big numbers with Hill as our QB. Im not saying for us to get rid of Hill and start Alex or anything like that, just dont expect big numbers from our WRs with Hill as our QB.

What we can expect with Hill though is managing the game, not making costly turnovers and most importantly giving us a chance to win the game, which he has shown he can do, he is 9-3 after all.

Lets go out and beat the Vikings
Originally posted by valrod33:
Originally posted by SybErkRimInAL:

this, and i know people are gonna say well he hit Brucs on the 50 yrad pass in stride in week 1 which is true, Hill can deliver that pass every once in a while but he is not consistent with it, Hills game is the short to mid passing game, which is usually where the RBs and TEs routes go.

So i dont see our WRs having big numbers with Hill as our QB. Im not saying for us to get rid of Hill and start Alex or anything like that, just dont expect big numbers from our WRs with Hill as our QB.

What we can expect with Hill though is managing the game, not making costly turnovers and most importantly giving us a chance to win the game, which he has shown he can do, he is 9-3 after all.

Lets go out and beat the Vikings

Let's say Hill grasps onto this job with iron clamps with solid play in a game and clutch play when needed. Then it will be time to rethink what type of receiver we want. We would want the TO type who is very powerful after the catch. Basically, a Bill Walsh prototype.
I think it's both but it's more the WR's than Hill imo. I don't think the Wr's are really getting open. These wr's just aren't that great. And Bruce did drop a couple balls yesterday.

• Twister68
  • Info N/A
Yes, let's all start whining. Like we would be 3-0 after 2 games if we had more passing yards and catches.
Originally posted by Joecool:
Easily, it's Hill. He's no different than a Jeff Garcia type. They LOVE the 15 and under throws and the middle of the field. They love looking for the crossing routes. Garcia always had and Hill always will have difficulty finding the WRs. Hill even admitted that he had a couple of chances but did not make the throw considering the situation of the game and where they were at.

Like Steve Young said, "That's not good QBing, that's great QBing."

However, take a look at his 3rd down conversions on that long drive: dude came through!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You are so blatantly biased towards Hill it's not even funny. Now, you're comparing him to a very good quarterback in Garcia? Please. Hill can't make half the throws Garcia could.

As to the original question, it was entirely on Hill. He had receivers open deep, but wouldn't go there.
Originally posted by Twister68:
Yes, let's all start whining. Like we would be 3-0 after 2 games if we had more passing yards and catches.

this.
Originally posted by Twister68:

But wouldn't we be!
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by lamontb:
I think it's both but it's more the WR's than Hill imo. I don't think the Wr's are really getting open. These wr's just aren't that great. And Bruce did drop a couple balls yesterday.

And I think a 20 yard pass to Walker was called back for holding too.
Share 49ersWebzone