LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 316 users in the forums

Crabtree Discussion Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Steve Young was just on sportscenter and said like he thinks crabtree will sign, its just a matter of when because he cant hold out all year and it wouldnt work because he has too much to lose. he said after the win vs az that we have most of the leverage. i hope hes right.
Originally posted by mrbusinessman499:
do u think he wont sign cuz he knows jimmy raye and sing will run 1st then pass they said 60% run and 40% pass and of course he would want the ball right?

ITS A STRONG POSSIBILITY.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Quote:
you dont follow espn or nfl network too often do you?

its been said plenty of times..

not to mention if you understand how the whole contract/rights system works within the NFL its pretty straightforward ..

I watch plenty of that stuff, I just don't think it's really been discussed once a team makes a trade for said player does that team hold his rights up until the draft or is he the property of the new team for the whole year. I was under the assumption that that was the case without really doing any research on the matter. You sound like you know what your talking about so I'll go by what you and the other poster said. But, I don't think this has ever been mentioned on any TV program.
[ Edited by mayo63 on Sep 16, 2009 at 12:08 PM ]
He's going to the cowgirls. Deion and Jerry Jones are as tight as two turds in a toilet. Crabtree is from Texas and is huge there. The cowgirls have a new billion dollar stadium and the niners play in a 50 yr old dump. Crabtree wants a BIG stage to perform on, afterall, he is a rock star. Jones will pay him big money (not 40mil) next year. They have probably talked through Deion about a ball park figure. Michael is tighter than a CRABS a$$ at high tide. He will hold out for ever penny he can squeeze out of anyone. The niners need to make a big banner that says F--- You Crabtree and hang it outside the locker room when Nowin used to have the "helmet banner". Better yet, over the "not so jumbotron" at the stick.
Originally posted by 5280High:
Originally posted by English:
Originally posted by MaliCali:
Originally posted by PTulini:
I don't know what's going to happen at this point? Can someone please answer me this question...

Why do so many people think Michael Crabtree will have the oppertunity to re-enter the 2010 NFL Draft? If anything, he doesn't sign, and the 49ers will trade him in an effort to get some value for him. Also, Does Crabtree have the option to reject the trade? He shouldn't get to choose where he goes. I just don't get it!

if he is traded, he isn't required to sign with that team, there is no contract being traded, and only his rights...

so if his rights are traded to a team, he still has the option to re-enter the draft, because he is not contractually obligated to that team, so now that team is out of whatever they traded to the 49er's to get his rights..

no team will trade for him unless they know they already have contract agreements with him...

Surely no team can make contact with him, let alone have a contract agreement?-

It would be a Sign & Trade, basically the other team agrees in principle to a contract with Crabs, we sign him to that contract and trade him to the team for what they are offering.

No team would trade simply for the "rights" to him unless there was tampering involved. They would require a contract to be in place, and Im sure there is some enforceable agreement to ensure the trade actually takes place once the contract is signed.

Crabtree will not be able to sign any contract until the draft is over. Basically what will happen is we will grant Crabtree permission to seek a trade, and his agent/ team will agree to the principals of the contract. From there it comes down to us and "x" team agreeing to what the compensation will be.

My 2 cents is won't get market value for him because we have no leverage in this situation. No team is going to fear us putting him back in the draft because they know they will be able to get him there anyways. No team will trade for Crabtree unless they're positive a deal can get done.

It's another TO Philly-Baltimore situation. We're going to be stuck negotiating with the team Crabtree wants, and that's it.
Originally posted by WillistheWall:
Steve Young was just on sportscenter and said like he thinks crabtree will sign, its just a matter of when because he cant hold out all year and it wouldnt work because he has too much to lose. he said after the win vs az that we have most of the leverage. i hope hes right.

That is funny..... as I mentioned in several of my "earlier posts" before the Cards game, that I bet Craptree and his crew were hoping for the 9ers to lose to increase their negotiationg leverage, and some of you (and you KNOW who you are) laughed at that time.

Now what say you?
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by tjd808185:
I don't know what's going to happen at this point? Can someone please answer me this question...

Why do so many people think Michael Crabtree will have the oppertunity to re-enter the 2010 NFL Draft? If anything, he doesn't sign, and the 49ers will trade him in an effort to get some value for him. Also, Does Crabtree have the option to reject the trade? He shouldn't get to choose where he goes. I just don't get it!

if he is traded, he isn't required to sign with that team, there is no contract being traded, and only his rights...

so if his rights are traded to a team, he still has the option to re-enter the draft, because he is not contractually obligated to that team, so now that team is out of whatever they traded to the 49er's to get his rights..

no team will trade for him unless they know they already have contract agreements with him...

It would be a Sign & Trade, basically the other team agrees in principle to a contract with Crabs, we sign him to that contract and trade him to the team for what they are offering.

No team would trade simply for the "rights" to him unless there was tampering involved. They would require a contract to be in place, and Im sure there is some enforceable agreement to ensure the trade actually takes place once the contract is signed.

Crabtree will not be able to sign any contract until the draft is over. Basically what will happen is we will grant Crabtree permission to seek a trade, and his agent/ team will agree to the principals of the contract. From there it comes down to us and "x" team agreeing to what the compensation will be.

My 2 cents is won't get market value for him because we have no leverage in this situation. No team is going to fear us putting him back in the draft because they know they will be able to get him there anyways. No team will trade for Crabtree unless they're positive a deal can get done.

It's another TO Philly-Baltimore situation. We're going to be stuck negotiating with the team Crabtree wants, and that's it.

But, if a team is picking later in the draft, Crabtree surely would be gone by then. That's why I think a team in need of a reciever picking later would want to make a trade knowing they have no chance of him falling that far in the draft.
Originally posted by BigMar:

That is funny..... as I mentioned in several of my "earlier posts" before the Cards game, that I bet Craptree and his crew were hoping for the 9ers to lose to increase their negotiationg leverage, and some of you (and you KNOW who you are) laughed at that time.

Now what say you?

Anyone who thinks is thinking way too hard. The 9ers aren't going to cave into Crabtree's demands just because they lost a single game. The only people this effects is the media and the more thickle fans.
  • dj43
Originally posted by mrbusinessman499:
do u think he wont sign cuz he knows jimmy raye and sing will run 1st then pass they said 60% run and 40% pass and of course he would want the ball right?

ITS A STRONG POSSIBILITY.

That is a point I have been making for three weeks. It may not be the only thing holding up the signing but until that final drive of the game, what we all watched when the 49ers had the ball was what Michael Crabtree does NOT want to play in.
Originally posted by BigMar:
That is funny..... as I mentioned in several of my "earlier posts" before the Cards game, that I bet Craptree and his crew were hoping for the 9ers to lose to increase their negotiationg leverage, and some of you (and you KNOW who you are) laughed at that time. Now what say you?

well yea i thought it was a no brainer that a win would give us leverage and a loss would show we needed him to win more and give him leverage.

Do we play this week? Man by now I would be breaking down the Seahawks games with my 9er buddies and on this board but this Crabtree thing has most of my attention, aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!
Originally posted by tjd808185:

Pretty sure we can sign him anytime, but after march it will count against the 2010 rookie pool. Not being able to sign him till after the draft doesnt make sense because we wont have his rights.
  • ddc58
  • Info N/A
Great take on Crabtree....[url=null]null[/url] http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcwest/post/_/id/5135/video-smith-mcshay-on-michael-crabtree
The cowboys have crabtree holdout and then offer their 3rd, 2nd or late 1st round pick for him depending on how many teams are interested in crabtree. The niners trade their rights to crabtree to the cowboys so they can salvage something out of this mess. Jones laughs his a$$ off and the rich get richer. The cowboys want a T.O. caliber talent. Their wideouts are only so so.
Originally posted by SonocoNinerFan:

I think it would go down like this:

1. Team X calls McCloughan and makes an acceptable trade offer.
2. The Niners give Team X permission to work-out contract terms with Crabtree.
3. The trade is completed.

I think the prime candidates for trade partners would be bottom of the 1st round teams looking for a playmaking WR but won't be within reach of the top 2010 prospects, assuming they're not scared off by Crabtree's act.

Seattle would be a candidate as well. They have 2 1st round picks in the 2010 draft as well if I remember correctly. they could use a WR for sure.
Share 49ersWebzone