There are 221 users in the forums

Sources: Matt Holliday to Cardinals

• jrg
  • Veteran
The Athletics and Cardinals have completed a trade that sends outfielder Matt Holliday to St. Louis in exchange for third baseman Brett Wallace, outfielder Shane Peterson and right-handed pitcher Clayton Mortensen, sources confirmed to ESPN The Magazine's Buster Olney.

In addition, sources said the Athletics will throw in $1.5 million to the Cardinals.

Holliday, 29, is eligible for free agency after this season, and has had a lackluster season overall with the Athletics, hitting .287 with 11 homers and 54 RBIs.

But he has hit well this month, batting .344 with a .421 on-base percentage, and one scout who has seen him play said Tuesday that Holliday is swinging the bat as well now as he has all year. The Cardinals have been searching for a way to upgrade their offense to build some lineup protection for first baseman Albert Pujols.

Earlier this season, St. Louis had indicated to other teams that it did not have a lot of money to spend, but it's possible that the Cardinals' front office could navigate that issue by getting approval from ownership, or by having Oakland kick in some money to offset the money still owed to Holliday, which is about $6 million.

Oakland acquired Holliday in a trade with Colorado last fall, in the hope that he would be the anchor to the Athletics' offense. But Holliday -- and the whole Oakland offense -- has struggled for much of this year, and rival general managers have wondered if the shift in baseball's economics might compel the Athletics to move Holliday.

Holliday is earning $13.5 million in salary this season, and in order for Oakland to recoup draft picks, it would have to offer him arbitration. Holliday could be in line for an award of $16 million, something that might be more difficult for the small-market Athletics to absorb. The Yankees, after all, declined to offer Bobby Abreu arbitration last fall because they feared that he might accept it.

Link

[ Edited by jrg on Jul 24, 2009 at 09:26:50 ]
  • jrg
  • Veteran
From MLBrumors.com
Quote:

11:16am: ESPN.com's Buster Olney reports that the deal is complete. The A's will contribute $1.5MM to the remainder of Holliday's salary, which leaves the Cards with about $4.5MM.
  • JR80
  • Veteran
soo stoked for Wallace
So you posted this in the Cards thread, and then made a thread about it too?
  • JR80
  • Veteran
Originally posted by StOnEy333:

don't forget the A's thread too. Three times the charm!
  • jrg
  • Veteran
Originally posted by StOnEy333:

There are other members on the board who aren't A's/Cardinals fans who wouldn't see it if I didn't post this. If you wanna move it, move it. I just figured I'd make a thread for others to see.
  • jrg
  • Veteran
Originally posted by JR80:
soo stoked for Wallace

• jrg
  • Veteran
Bad deal for the Cards who really rolled the dice here. Unless they win the WS and sign Holiday long term they lose. I cannot believe they gave up their #1 prospect for a guy having a down year and could be there just 2 months.

Personally, I think this is going to trigger the Phillies-Jays deal and have Halliday end up in Philadelphia. If that happens.. Philly is going to be a strong favorite over STL to win the NL pennant even with Holiday and Derosa.
  • jrg
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
Bad deal for the Cards who really rolled the dice here. Unless they win the WS and sign Holiday long term they lose. I cannot believe they gave up their #1 prospect for a guy having a down year and could be there just 2 months.

Personally, I think this is going to trigger the Phillies-Jays deal and have Halliday end up in Philadelphia. If that happens.. Philly is going to be a strong favorite over STL to win the NL pennant even with Holiday and Derosa.

1. You think the Cardinals win ONLY if they win the WS and sign him long term?

2. Why wouldn't they sign him in the off season. You have as much reason to think they WILL sign him in the off season as you do to think they won't.

3. Holliday is a National League player who bats .358 in Busch Stadium.

4. Now Philadelphia HAS to match the Cardinals to keep them near the top of the NL. There are a bunch of good teams Dodgers, Cardinals, Phillies, etc. and if they want to stay there..they need to get a deal done.

5. The Cardinals are playing to win now..Wallace was a tough piece to lose, but Holliday coming back to the National League being sandwiched between Pujols & Ludwick is VERY LEGIT for the Cardinals lineup for the near future.

I'm happy with the deal.

Finally!

Wallace should be a staple at 3rd base for a while.
  • JR80
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Jigga:
Finally!

Wallace should be a staple at 3rd base for a while.

well, until he gets really good. Then we'll trade him.
this is a good deal for the cards they needed another bat, but in no way do i think this makes them the team to beat, it hurts me to say this, but the phillies and dodgers are still the best teams in the NL even after this trade
Great trade for the A's. Wallace is a stud.
Originally posted by jrg:
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:

1. You think the Cardinals win ONLY if they win the WS and sign him long term?

2. Why wouldn't they sign him in the off season. You have as much reason to think they WILL sign him in the off season as you do to think they won't.

3. Holliday is a National League player who bats .358 in Busch Stadium.

4. Now Philadelphia HAS to match the Cardinals to keep them near the top of the NL. There are a bunch of good teams Dodgers, Cardinals, Phillies, etc. and if they want to stay there..they need to get a deal done.

5. The Cardinals are playing to win now..Wallace was a tough piece to lose, but Holliday coming back to the National League being sandwiched between Pujols & Ludwick is VERY LEGIT for the Cardinals lineup for the near future.

I'm happy with the deal.

Those are all short term goals in which Holliday will help with. However, i doubt the Cards will be the top suitors for him in FA and long term will lose him and have lost Wallace.
Share 49ersWebzone