LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 256 users in the forums

Was Hostler really that bad?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
We looked like we were doing quite well through the Steelers game in 2007. Then Smith got injured and we have Trent Dilfer who sucks. Then Hill comes in and we begin doing better again.

I just think back and remember Hostler using the spread offense in the Steelers game. Was it that he had crap at QB for most of the year?
yes.

yes he was that bad
Let's see... Run Run Run Punt... Run Run Screen Punt... Run Run Pass Punt... Run Run Run Punt.

Uh... Yeah... I think so.
He was WORSE than that bad, WAY WORSE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!111
Really? You are gonna ask that question? Did you watch that season?
yeah he was pretty bad. To his only defense, he really wasn't qualified to be an OC. It was pretty much a panic move after Norv bounced. It only would have worked if we had a offensive HC guiding him,,,which ofcourse we didn't.

Whom the Niners choose to hire at these very important positions can be quite puzzling.
We could have beaten the Steelers if Vernon would have just caught the ball. Run run punt pass?

What else has any Coordinator with Alex Smith done? He certainly changed things up with Hill in there. I don't know, I thought he was having a solid start for a first time coordinator in those 3 games. I also think Nolan had too much control in the plays being called or the plan being applied.

Who knows.
Originally posted by FGore2121:
yes.

yes he was that bad
  • kem99
  • Veteran
Yes, he was THAT bad...lets not forget that the offense struggled in the first 2 games leading into the Steeler game but managed to do just barely enough to eek out 2 wins. The OL became a sive under Hostler, which led to Smith getting hurt and Gore's production falling by a third. Dilfer certainly didn't help matters BUT he was only playing because the OL allowed 1 too many jail breaks. Yes, Hill played well but remember he got hurt too because of the beating he took. And, regardless of Smith getting hurt, the offense was last by a good distance. They trailed the next to last team in total offense by something like 50 yards a game. So, yes, he was that bad.
Wow, you have around 30,000 posts(experience) and ask a question like that?

Originally posted by FGore2121:
yes.

yes he was that bad
Yes, he was REALLY bad.
Originally posted by Daniel2778:

It's getting boring this offseason.
Originally posted by Joecool:

Not after Rod Green commiting career suicide its not. It could bring a few funny threads on a wide range of topics now.
Originally posted by Joecool:

Just a couple days till the combine, hang on there.
Share 49ersWebzone