There are 120 users in the forums

The bidding war for Clausen

Come draft day I fully expect Bradford to go #1 overall (I've been saying that for months now). But with the recent flurry of teams trying to get QB's I think Detroit's wish to trade back may come true. Looking at potential suitors I see Washington, Cleveland, Seattle, and Buffalo all in the mix. Without any trades I can see him landing in Washington easily, but I think this will start to get crazy.

Considering Carroll has been looking for a new guy: During a Tuesday appearance with Mike Missanelli of 97.5 The Fanatic in Philly, ESPN's Sal Paolantonio dropped a couple of bombs regarding the current quarterback situation in Philly.

Paolantonio said that the Seattle Seahawks have been contacting the Eagles "non-stop" regarding quarterbacks Donovan McNabb and Kevin Kolb. As we reported last week, the Eagles have been hearing from multiple teams regarding McNabb, but the Eagles have not yet entertained any offers.

But offers apparently will come; Paolantonio says that Seattle coach Pete Carroll wants to win right away, and in Carroll's mind that includes getting McNabb or Kolb. And Paolantonio says that he now firmly believes that McNabb will be traded by the Eagles at some point in the offseason.

Considering Holmgren is cleaning house: Derek Anderon's rollercoaster career in Cleveland has come to its logical conclusion.

The Browns released Anderson Tuesday, well aware that no one wanted him via trade with a monster roster bonus due in ten days.

The Oregon State product was picked off the waiver wire in one of former G.M. Phil Savage's best moves, and made the Pro Bowl in 2007 on the strength of vertical passing and an easy schedule.

Things fell apart dramatically since, as Anderson's accuracy and decision-making were among the league's worst the last two years.

With all that out of the way, Anderson now becomes the best free agent quarterback available. (This was a market in which four teams showed interest in David Carr.)

We're just speculating, but Arizona, Carolina, and Oakland are three places that would make logical suitors.

and

One day after the Cleveland Browns released quarterback Derek Anderson, there is mounting evidence around the league that quarterback Brady Quinn could be next.

Cleveland has offered Quinn to other teams, league sources said Wednesday. Not only are the Browns looking into a deal for Quinn, but they also are investigating other quarterback options as well.

The Browns are exploring the acquisition of another quarterback through trade, free agency or the draft, according to multiple league sources. These talks come at a time when Cleveland already has added former Seattle backup Seneca Wallace.

Should one of these scenarios for another quarterback work out as expected, then Cleveland would have a surplus of quarterbacks, including Wallace and Brett Ratliff. That would leave little room for Quinn, a former first-round draft pick who has struggled to succeed in Cleveland.

With Tampa firmly in place to land one of the top DT's I don't see them wanting to trade back. Because Detroit has expressed interest to move back and is sitting at a place where a team could block Washington.....I think a trade happens with either Sea or Cle on draft day.

Looking at the trade possibilities...

Detroit at #2-2600
Seattle at #6-1600 and #14-1100
Cleveland at #7-1500
I think you can take the Skins out of the mix b/c they don't have the fire power unless they trading away next year's picks. I don't think they even have a 2nd rounder this year. I think Buffalo will stand pack and take one of the tackles who will fall. As for Seattle I think they will get there qb from Philly. But it's just so hard to tell b/c all these teams have sever multiple needs ..
I would LOVE it if Seattle packaged both firsts to move up to number 2 and get Clausen.

I think Clausen will bust big time. And right now the scariest thing in this draft is Seattle with 2 high first round picks. I have nightmares about them taking all the players I want the Niners to draft. Could you imagine if they get Berry and Spiller?

I'd much rather watch them invest all their money, picks, and time in a guy like Clausen.
Originally posted by lamontb:
I think you can take the Skins out of the mix b/c they don't have the fire power unless they trading away next year's picks. I don't think they even have a 2nd rounder this year. I think Buffalo will stand pack and take one of the tackles who will fall. As for Seattle I think they will get there qb from Philly. But it's just so hard to tell b/c all these teams have sever multiple needs ..

Washington wouldn't have to trade up if a trade doesn't happen. Because they are sitting at #4 he could fall to their laps easily. I just named them as a potential team where he could land.
Originally posted by TheFunkyChicken:
I would LOVE it if Seattle packaged both firsts to move up to number 2 and get Clausen.

I think Clausen will bust big time. And right now the scariest thing in this draft is Seattle with 2 high first round picks. I have nightmares about them taking all the players I want the Niners to draft. Could you imagine if they get Berry and Spiller?

I'd much rather watch them invest all their money, picks, and time in a guy like Clausen.

what is with all of the jimmy clausen hate? ppl have been talking so much smack against this kid but i honestly believe he is going to be a stud in the nfl. i'm a usc fan and i've seen him play. i think he would've had a "better" career if weiss (most overrated/worst coach in history) knew how to put a defense together. their defense was pretty bad and the only weapon jimmy had on offense was tate. floyd is an average receiver imo.

the kid has an arm, accurate, played in a pro-style offense, football iq, and displayed leadership qualities last year. i think bradford will be a bust.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Best QB in this draft.
It sounds like Pete Carrol will do better the second round of his NFL coaching career. The NFC West is ripe for the taking. If the niners or the Seahawks got donovan mcnabb, they would be the favorite to win the west.

If Seatle gets McNabb, all of the zoners who groned that we should not trade for McNabb will see what the niners could have done with a top 10 qb.
Originally posted by TheFunkyChicken:

I don't; I think Clausen is the real deal. Better than both prospects from last year.
  • Shifty
  • Veteran
I watched a few ND games last year. Never came away impressed to the point where I'm wanting to use a top 5 pick on him.
Originally posted by jreff22:
Come draft day I fully expect Bradford to go #1 overall (I've been saying that for months now). But with the recent flurry of teams trying to get QB's I think Detroit's wish to trade back may come true. Looking at potential suitors I see Washington, Cleveland, Seattle, and Buffalo all in the mix. Without any trades I can see him landing in Washington easily, but I think this will start to get crazy.

Considering Carroll has been looking for a new guy: During a Tuesday appearance with Mike Missanelli of 97.5 The Fanatic in Philly, ESPN's Sal Paolantonio dropped a couple of bombs regarding the current quarterback situation in Philly.

Paolantonio said that the Seattle Seahawks have been contacting the Eagles "non-stop" regarding quarterbacks Donovan McNabb and Kevin Kolb. As we reported last week, the Eagles have been hearing from multiple teams regarding McNabb, but the Eagles have not yet entertained any offers.

But offers apparently will come; Paolantonio says that Seattle coach Pete Carroll wants to win right away, and in Carroll's mind that includes getting McNabb or Kolb. And Paolantonio says that he now firmly believes that McNabb will be traded by the Eagles at some point in the offseason.

Considering Holmgren is cleaning house: Derek Anderon's rollercoaster career in Cleveland has come to its logical conclusion.

The Browns released Anderson Tuesday, well aware that no one wanted him via trade with a monster roster bonus due in ten days.

The Oregon State product was picked off the waiver wire in one of former G.M. Phil Savage's best moves, and made the Pro Bowl in 2007 on the strength of vertical passing and an easy schedule.

Things fell apart dramatically since, as Anderson's accuracy and decision-making were among the league's worst the last two years.

With all that out of the way, Anderson now becomes the best free agent quarterback available. (This was a market in which four teams showed interest in David Carr.)

We're just speculating, but Arizona, Carolina, and Oakland are three places that would make logical suitors.

and

One day after the Cleveland Browns released quarterback Derek Anderson, there is mounting evidence around the league that quarterback Brady Quinn could be next.

Cleveland has offered Quinn to other teams, league sources said Wednesday. Not only are the Browns looking into a deal for Quinn, but they also are investigating other quarterback options as well.

The Browns are exploring the acquisition of another quarterback through trade, free agency or the draft, according to multiple league sources. These talks come at a time when Cleveland already has added former Seattle backup Seneca Wallace.

Should one of these scenarios for another quarterback work out as expected, then Cleveland would have a surplus of quarterbacks, including Wallace and Brett Ratliff. That would leave little room for Quinn, a former first-round draft pick who has struggled to succeed in Cleveland.

With Tampa firmly in place to land one of the top DT's I don't see them wanting to trade back. Because Detroit has expressed interest to move back and is sitting at a place where a team could block Washington.....I think a trade happens with either Sea or Cle on draft day.

Detroit at #2-2600
Cleveland at #7-1500

Your value for Seattle is way off. According to the draft value chart, fair value is a swap of top 10 picks and Seattle sending a second rounder for a third rounder.

Detriot trading down makes perfect sense. The best pick for them is OT, and they might be able to get Okung or Bugala at #6 (if KC and WAS don't take both). If both are gone for some reason, they can get McCoy/Suh or Eric Berry. They could also acquire two excellent players at the top of the second round.

But I definitely see Seattle as a possibility. From my understanding, Carroll was in love with Clausen coming out of HS and would like to build his team around him. Carroll wants to 'win now', but he demonstrated last year that he is not afraid of putting a green QB in (started a true freshman last year).

Originally posted by nickbradley:

and

Detroit at #2-2600
Cleveland at #7-1500

Your value for Seattle is way off. According to the draft value chart, fair value is a swap of top 10 picks and Seattle sending a second rounder for a third rounder.

Detriot trading down makes perfect sense. The best pick for them is OT, and they might be able to get Okung or Bugala at #6 (if KC and WAS don't take both). If both are gone for some reason, they can get McCoy/Suh or Eric Berry. They could also acquire two excellent players at the top of the second round.

But I definitely see Seattle as a possibility. From my understanding, Carroll was in love with Clausen coming out of HS and would like to build his team around him. Carroll wants to 'win now', but he demonstrated last year that he is not afraid of putting a green QB in (started a true freshman last year).

How is the value way off....? Detroit at #2 the value is 2600. Seattle has picks #6 and #14, #6=1600 and #14=1100...its only a discrepancy of 100 points. Which means Detroit can send their 4th rounder back to Sea which =108.
Originally posted by nickbradley:

and

Detroit at #2-2600
Cleveland at #7-1500

How is the value way off....? Detroit at #2 the value is 2600. Seattle has picks #6 and #14, #6=1600 and #14=1100...its only a discrepancy of 100 points. Which means Detroit can send their 4th rounder back to Sea which =108.

Draft calculator is way more accurate

http://www.footballguys.com/pickvalue.htm
If Bradford goes to the Rams #1 overall, then I hope he turns out to be a huuuge bust and it sets the back 10 years.

f**k the Rams
IMO, Suh is the best player available. If Bradford goes #1 and I were the Lions, I would be giddier than a fundraising girl scout at a Weight-Watcher's clinic to have Suh at #2.
Originally posted by King49er:
If Bradford goes to the Rams #1 overall, then I hope he turns out to be a huuuge bust and it sets the back 10 years.

f**k the Rams

I think there's a good chance the Rams and Seattle will end up with the two top rated QBs in this draft. If that happens, it makes for a pretty interesting division. All first round QBs and all of them have questions surrounding them. It's anyone's guess which QB would emerge as the star of the division.
Share 49ersWebzone