LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 234 users in the forums

San Francisco Warriors or Golden State?

San Francisco Warriors or Golden State?

• mayo49
  • Veteran
Should we go back to San Francisco Warriors or keep it Golden State?
Oakland Warriors
Only if Santa Clara 49ers
Wouldn't changing the name defeat the entire purpose of being called the "Golden State" Warriors?
Originally posted by Niners99:
Wouldn't changing the name defeat the entire purpose of being called the "Golden State" Warriors?

Frankin Mieuli, the original owner of the San Francisco Warriors, renamed the team the Golden State Warriors because he couldnt stand the thought of calling the team the Oakland Warriors after he moved the team across the Bay. It would simply restore the name back to what it was 50 years ago when they did play in "the city".

I seriously doubt they will change the name now given their success over the past few years.
Go back to 'The City' ... always thought that looked good.

Keep the name golden state. Dont insult the fanbase even further
Warriors of the Bandwagon has an accurate sounding ring to it
  • MuggD
  • Veteran
I say change it to SF just to piss off all those insufferable f**king A's and Raiders fans.

Originally posted by Bluesbro:

City uniforms are my all time favorite.

And I think our current jerseys are the awful. I cant stand that we are the only team in all of American sports that list our team name and where we are from on the front. Its beyond stupid.

That said, I do own one.
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
Originally posted by Niners99:

Frankin Mieuli, the original owner of the San Francisco Warriors, renamed the team the Golden State Warriors because he couldnt stand the thought of calling the team the Oakland Warriors after he moved the team across the Bay. It would simply restore the name back to what it was 50 years ago when they did play in "the city".

I seriously doubt they will change the name now given their success over the past few years.

I thought they went to Golden State because when they moved to Oakland it was supposed to be a temporary move with the Ws toying with the idea of moving to San Diego. They even played some games in San Diego and called themselves Golden State to unify not only SF and Oakland but also in case they moved to San Diego.

With that said, despite being born and raised in SF, they should keep Golden State so they aren't completely turning their backs on the Oakland fans when they move. I also always thought of it as an FU to LA/So Cal by implying that the Ws are claiming California and I'm all for that.

Get rid of the Bay Bridge and go back to the GGB though.
[ Edited by IEAD on Mar 21, 2017 at 9:21 PM ]
Originally posted by SteveWallacesHelmet:
Originally posted by Bluesbro:

City uniforms are my all time favorite.

And I think our current jerseys are the awful. I cant stand that we are the only team in all of American sports that list our team name and where we are from on the front. Its beyond stupid.

That said, I do own one.

[ Edited by Niners99 on Mar 22, 2017 at 2:26 AM ]
Golde State Aids
Thanks 99. Not a hockey fan, but those are awful too.
Share 49ersWebzone