There are 224 users in the forums

Should we prepare for luck now?

Originally posted by TalkinBoutWILLIS:
if sadly we owned the first pick overall next year with all this fan talk id rather be the team that takes 3 first round draft picks instead of drafting luck. that would be the most ridiculous trade. idc if luck turns into joe montana id still rather have 3 first rounders instead of him

True. Look what the Cowboys did with all those draft picks they got for Herschel Walker.
if sadly we owned the first pick overall next year with all this fan talk id rather be the team that takes 3 first round draft picks instead of drafting luck. that would be the most ridiculous trade. idc if luck turns into joe montana id still rather have 3 first rounders instead of him

So you would rather have three 1st than the re-incarnate of Montana (your words, not mine, and obviously hypothetical)?

Really?

I mean really?

2012 49ers with Montana re-incarnate (again the above disclaimer) and Harbaugh at coach and you will trade that for three 1st's?

Look all I know is this. Harbaugh has said some pretty remarkable things about Luck. Harbaugh has a good track record with QB's. Harbaugh and Baalke both agree that QB is the most important position on the team. Anything is possible, including Luck busting, but I personally wouldn't have a problem with a ridiculous trade for Luck.

We need a stud QB in a QB driven league. If those 2 feels strongly that Luck is exactly that then I have no problems with showing the guts to do what you feel is necessary.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Watch Luck not even be the highest rated QB next year.

Next years QB class should look even better.
Originally posted by WINiner:

So you would rather have three 1st than the re-incarnate of Montana (your words, not mine, and obviously hypothetical)?

Really?

I mean really?

2012 49ers with Montana re-incarnate (again the above disclaimer) and Harbaugh at coach and you will trade that for three 1st's?

Look all I know is this. Harbaugh has said some pretty remarkable things about Luck. Harbaugh has a good track record with QB's. Harbaugh and Baalke both agree that QB is the most important position on the team. Anything is possible, including Luck busting, but I personally wouldn't have a problem with a ridiculous trade for Luck.

We need a stud QB in a QB driven league. If those 2 feels strongly that Luck is exactly that then I have no problems with showing the guts to do what you feel is necessary.

what usually works out better...a stud qb with nothing around him or a decent quarterback with a bunch of talent around him
Most of the qbs coming out this draft are career backups anyways so why can't we get a vet and a career backup then the following draft do whatever it takes to get luck who Is our promise qb to get us back to the promise land. And we also establish his career backup if he gets hurt and if he's backup ends up being a stud well then we have trade bait
Originally posted by Kolohe:

Locker '10= Luck '11

FAIL

Luck could be great. But let's see him play next year before concluding he's the automatic No. 1 pick in 2012. Remember Brian Brohm? He was consensus pre-season No. 1 pick ... and then played terribly his final year ... and then worked out poorly for teams ... and then was drafted in the mid rounds.
Originally posted by mandy49er:

Locker '10= Luck '11

Locker was mostly internet hype last year at this time. IIRC he actually got a 2nd round grade from the draft advisory board, and that was why he really stayed in school. Obviously he hasn't helped himself since.

Luck seems like a lot more of a legit prospect in most people's eyes, in a Sam Bradford vein. A lot of people thought he had thrown his career away by not coming out after winning the Heisman and then getting hurt, but he still went #1 overall. I'd expect the same for Luck, unless his production really nosedives without Harbaugh.
[ Edited by Digger on Jan 25, 2011 at 11:36 AM ]
Originally posted by RedWaltz24:

True. Look what the Cowboys did with all those draft picks they got for Herschel Walker.

Herschel does not equal Monatana. I would rather have Joe Montana, a sure thing than 3 unknown things, beisdes RB are easier to find than a great QB, SB winning, Hall of Fame player.
  • Amir
  • RIP Amir, Hall of Fame

I highly doubt that but anything is possible.

I just hope Luck gets caught with talking to an agent. Gets deemed ineligible. Enters the supplemental draft. Says he only wants to play for the niners. We give up a 7th round pick for him.
[ Edited by Amir_Mamu on Jan 25, 2011 at 11:50 AM ]

That's what we said about this year's draft last year
Originally posted by SF69ers:
You live in Madden-trade world.

I wouldn't do this in Madden or my keeper fantasy football league.
Originally posted by Draftology:
Do you really want the future of this organization to be in the hands of Christian Ponder or some other 3rd round developmental quarterback while we don't have a competent quarterback on the roster?? If Luck ends up not being worth the first pick, we still have 3 first round picks for next year. I don't get why this is such a horrible idea

Fact of the matter is, you or I, are not the QB Guru here.. Harbaugh is.. And if Harbaugh thinks there is a person in the 3rd round that he can groom into the QB of the future, then that is what Harbaugh is going to do and probably succeed at.....

It's all fun to speculate who we all want and why, but in the end, Harbaugh is the QB Master with the track record and I am fine with whoever he decides to draft or pick up via FA, if there is one....
Originally posted by Eduardo75:
Do you really want the future of this organization to be in the hands of Christian Ponder or some other 3rd round developmental quarterback while we don't have a competent quarterback on the roster?? If Luck ends up not being worth the first pick, we still have 3 first round picks for next year. I don't get why this is such a horrible idea

Fact of the matter is, you or I, are not the QB Guru here.. Harbaugh is.. And if Harbaugh thinks there is a person in the 3rd round that he can groom into the QB of the future, then that is what Harbaugh is going to do and probably succeed at.....

It's all fun to speculate who we all want and why, but in the end, Harbaugh is the QB Master with the track record and I am fine with whoever he decides to draft or pick up via FA, if there is one....

Thats why Harbaugh and Baalke will take Cam Newton
Originally posted by Eduardo75:

I agree that Harbaugh knows more than me, you, or anyone else in the zone, but I think, because the position is so important, we should invest a first round pick into it, unless Harbaugh thinks everyone else is under estimating some middle round qb. I think there are very few Niner fans that don't want Andrew Luck, and I'm trying to think of some ways that we could have an outside shot at getting him
Share 49ersWebzone