LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 212 users in the forums

Should we prepare for luck now?

Considering that quarterback is by far the biggest need for this team, should we use this draft to put us in a position to take Andrew Luck next year? He is one of the best quarterback prospects in the last 10 years, and fits Harbaugh's system perfectly. This is what I think we should do in this draft to make sure we can get him next year:

-trade back from 7 to the mid-twenties for a 1st next year and a third this year
-trade our 2nd and 4th this year for a first next year

(granted there has to be teams willing to make these trades)

This would give us 3 first round picks for next year, giving us enough ammunition to trade up to the first overall pick. We would also still have a first and 2 thirds this year, but no second or fourth.

I understand that no player is a lock, and that Luck might end up like Jake Locker and have a bad senior season, but there doesn't seem like a single quarterback in this draft worthy of our first pick outside of Gabbert who has accuracy issues which is not a good attribute for a west-coast quarterback. Worst comes to worst we have 3 first round picks next year, and can greatly improve our roster.
  • jimrat
  • Veteran
Worst thread of the year!
Shut up.
Do you really want the future of this organization to be in the hands of Christian Ponder or some other 3rd round developmental quarterback while we don't have a competent quarterback on the roster?? If Luck ends up not being worth the first pick, we still have 3 first round picks for next year. I don't get why this is such a horrible idea
Need two to dance....IMO and the team at #1 ain't gonna trade out # 1 if luck is there.
Originally posted by highway49:
Need two to dance....IMO and the team at #1 ain't gonna trade out # 1 if luck is there.
I wouldn't be surprised if you were right, but usually a team with the first overall pick has a ton of holes, and three first round picks can do a lot. I really don't think the Niners have too many wholes. I'd say they're QB, RG, OLB, and CB. In this scenario, we could pick a CB with our late first this year, pick a guard with one of our thirds (maybe even both 3rd round picks), and use free agency to get an OLB.
You live in Madden-trade world.

This is the bigger issue if Luck is the sure fire first pick again next year.

Our best bet, IF there is any chance of a Luck/Harbaugh reunion, is either that without JH there (and half his staff) that Luck falls a bit, and we can get him with our pick or by trading up slightly OR that he pulls an Eli/Elway and decides he only wants to play for JH and it forces the hand of whomever drafts him.

But odds are, we find both a vet and project QB this year and Luck becomes an option for another team.
Originally posted by SF69ers:

LOL With way too much time on his hands. Keep it simple. Just go 1-15 next year and we should get Luck. I kid I kid.
Neither of those trades are outrageous. Depending on the pick, the other team could come out ahead on the first one and the second one is exactly what we did with the panthers this past year

that's Harbaugh's master plan. Tank the 2011 season to grab Luck with the #1 pick!
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:

LOL With way too much time on his hands. Keep it simple. Just go 1-15 next year and we should get Luck. I kid I kid.

With our schedule next year, I don't see us being all too great, but it could be possible to trade for Luck especially if Matt Barkley decides to declare next season and happens to be available at our spot.
Originally posted by SybErkRimInAL:
that's Harbaugh's master plan. Tank the 2011 season to grab Luck with the #1 pick!

If Harbaugh goes 1-15 people will start b***hing that he must be worst than Sing. I can just imagine the webzone and all the conspiracy theorists., If that happens that tells me he ain't the man to resurrect the niners.

Why does everyone assume that Harbaugh can't get somone he wants either for the now and the future.

Why don't we just forfeit the season already
Dream scenario would be to either trade back or trade a 2nd rounder for a future 1st (as we did with the Panthers 2 years ago), then draft a developmental QB in round 3 or later this year.

Next year if he doesn't look like the real deal, and a little bit of help from BW & the football Gods, move into a position to draft #1.

In addition, he could be injured or falter without Harbaugh. He could still look like the #1 pick like Bradford was, but a team with a lot of needs would surely be more willing to listen to offers.
Originally posted by Draftology:
I wouldn't be surprised if you were right, but usually a team with the first overall pick has a ton of holes, and three first round picks can do a lot. I really don't think the Niners have too many wholes. I'd say they're QB, RG, OLB, and CB. In this scenario, we could pick a CB with our late first this year, pick a guard with one of our thirds (maybe even both 3rd round picks), and use free agency to get an OLB.

There is a hole in your whole of theories. Besides we had a whole lot of holes and still picked Alex.
Share 49ersWebzone