LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 255 users in the forums

College Football Thread

Originally posted by Geeked:
I remember when Paul Hackett came to town and made similar comments... Hey, maybe Herm will lead you to finding the next Pet Carroll.

All I have to say is the PAC-12 Podcast of Champions will be a riot this week.

Oh, and SD, below is a piece you may find interesting. At least it explains why I seem to recall things a bit differently.

https://www.ocregister.com/2009/01/28/usc-football-recruiting-bye-bye-burfict/

So your basis is a message board comment?

As I've said before, ASU provides recruits with a game plan on qualifying by taking online classes over the summer.

That article also doesn't say admissions were sole deciding factor. As I said before, we had 4/5 kids on roster from his high school including some of his closest freinds.
  • Geeked
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SunDevilNiner79:
I remember when Paul Hackett came to town and made similar comments... Hey, maybe Herm will lead you to finding the next Pet Carroll.

All I have to say is the PAC-12 Podcast of Champions will be a riot this week.

Oh, and SD, below is a piece you may find interesting. At least it explains why I seem to recall things a bit differently.

https://www.ocregister.com/2009/01/28/usc-football-recruiting-bye-bye-burfict/

So your basis is a message board comment?

As I've said before, ASU provides recruits with a game plan on qualifying by taking online classes over the summer.

That article also doesn't say admissions were sole deciding factor. As I said before, we had 4/5 kids on roster from his high school including some of his closest freinds.

Ya, well the guys that actually get PAID to report on recruiting seem to not agree with your free assessment.
Ya, well the guys that actually get PAID to report on recruiting seem to not agree with your free assessment.

The "guys"? Your source is 1 guy whose possible pay is rooted in bias usc coverage
[ Edited by SunDevilNiner79 on Apr 5, 2018 at 9:11 AM ]
  • Geeked
  • Veteran

The "guys"? Your source is 1 guy whose possible pay is rooted in bias usc coverage

Do you follow ASU, in a formal way??? I ask because I was listening to the ASU 247 recruiting analyst and HE BROUGHT UP the Burfect situation in context of recruiting gamesmanship, and how to sell your program.

But I guess the ASU coverage analyst is bias towards USC...??? It's all biased to something when we don't like what we read or hear....

Hey, enjoy the 2018 season.... Enjoy the Roy Hemsely, the guy that couldn't start over a FRESHMAN on a crappy USC line... and is in line to start for you guys.
Do you follow ASU, in a formal way??? I ask because I was listening to the ASU 247 recruiting analyst and HE BROUGHT UP the Burfect situation in context of recruiting gamesmanship, and how to sell your program.

But I guess the ASU coverage analyst is bias towards USC...??? It's all biased to something when we don't like what we read or hear....

Hey, enjoy the 2018 season.... Enjoy the Roy Hemsely, the guy that couldn't start over a FRESHMAN on a crappy USC line... and is in line to start for you guys.

I had access to paid content at the time Burfict was recruited.

ASU with Jean Boyd has always recruited players by providing them with an academic plan to improve core grades/scores to qualify, and stay eligible.

Do you know who Jean Boyd is? Originally his whole role in ASU was to get kids qualified and graduate. Lots of former players love the guy because he is very hands on with staying on top of their grades, making sure assignments are done, and getting them tutors.

It's not gamesmanship. It's just telling a kid they have a 2.0 and you have a list of classes they need to take with a minimum B average. Most kids are confused on how to qualify and how grades are counted per ncaa rules.

Many colleges have coaches in recruitment talking about football. Not many recruit a kid with a plan to help them academically

At the time Burfict was recruited he loved ASU because Jean had a plan to follow to stay qualified, 5-6 highscool teammates he hung out with everyday in high school were in the program, and DE coached Ray Lewis and had an undisciplined atmosphere

As far as Roy Hemsley, why do you say he will start? I read every spring practice note, I don't think he is on campus. Or if he is, he's not on the 2 deep.

Casey Tucker will likely be LT. if Hemsley starts it will be LG because they are kicking Cabral inside. Losoya, a former walk on from JUCO, is at LG. Not big on him starting so more competition will be great. Sam Jones leaving early left a hole at LG

Nice to see USC fans talk s**t about their former players. Stay classy.

It's entertaining you're obsessed with lil ol asu
[ Edited by SunDevilNiner79 on Apr 5, 2018 at 1:22 PM ]
  • Geeked
  • Veteran

I had access to paid content at the time Burfict was recruited.

ASU with Jean Boyd has always recruited players by providing them with an academic plan to improve core grades/scores to qualify, and stay eligible.

Do you know who Jean Boyd is? Originally his whole role in ASU was to get kids qualified and graduate. Lots of former players love the guy because he is very hands on with staying on top of their grades, making sure assignments are done, and getting them tutors.

It's not gamesmanship. It's just telling a kid they have a 2.0 and you have a list of classes they need to take with a minimum B average. Most kids are confused on how to qualify and how grades are counted per ncaa rules.

Many colleges have coaches in recruitment talking about football. Not many recruit a kid with a plan to help them academically

At the time Burfict was recruited he loved ASU because Jean had a plan to follow to stay qualified, 5-6 highscool teammates he hung out with everyday in high school were in the program, and DE coached Ray Lewis and had an undisciplined atmosphere

As far as Roy Hemsley, why do you say he will start? I read every spring practice note, I don't think he is on campus. Or if he is, he's not on the 2 deep.

Casey Tucker will likely be LT. if Hemsley starts it will be LG because they are kicking Cabral inside. Losoya, a former walk on from JUCO, is at LG. Not big on him starting so more competition will be great. Sam Jones leaving early left a hole at LG

Nice to see USC fans talk s**t about their former players. Stay classy.

It's entertaining you're obsessed with lil ol asu

K dude, it appears we just said the same thing but the way you excused it makes you feel better.

Enjoy.
Geeked - Change the thread title to 18-19. Might as well instead of creating a new thread?

Pac-12 Media Poll out.
North:
1. Washington
2. Stanford
3. Oregon
4. California
5. Washington State
6. Oregon State

South:
1. USC
2. Utah
3. Arizona
4. UCLA
5. Colorado
6. ASU
My stab:

North:
1. Washington
2. Stanford
3. California
4. Oregon
5. Washington St
6. Oregon State
*I'd just flip flop Cal and Oregon. I think they are even but Oregon plays @ Cal.

South:
1. USC
2. ASU
3. UCLA
4. Arizona
5. Utah
6. Colorado
*ASU - Its entertaining to see the huge hate on Herm, lmao. Against Power-5 teams, ASU in the south had the 3rd best defense and I think our D-Coordinator is a huge upgrade and on paper the D looks much better. On offense, the O-Line is ofcourse a big issue, but seriously? A 3 year starting QB with the top WRs in the conference? (Harry returning leading WR, Kyle Williams is returning 6th leading WR), and RB Eno, man if he didn't have 2 seniors in NFL camps ahead of him his hype would be high.
*Arizona, it must be all my bias but I don't see it. Arizona had the 2nd worst defense in the conference, it was a gaping hole. Do people realize that Tate dodged the top 3 defenses in the conference? (Stanford, Utah, Washington). In his last 3 games, his rushing attack was stopped. Yes his October against weak defenses was amazing. I still think Tate is good and will average near 30pts vs power 5, but people have wayyyy too crazy expectations.
*Utah, sorry Jiks, I don't see it. Why are people picking a 3-6 team to suddenly finish second? Did they get some 5-star stud recruit? I see them as the typical Utes team, somewhere between 3-5 wins in conference. I might put Utes 4th above Arizona
*UCLA - their defense should be bad, and Chip can't fix that. But Chip is getting a pretty talented offense that I think will be legit in year one, I think Soso Jamabo in Chip's offense is going to be scary
*Colorado, who the hell picked them 1st? That's a joke. They will have a losing season and their HC will be shown the door.
  • Geeked
  • Veteran
North:
  1. Stanford - everyone picked UW last year and we saw what happened. Between returning difference makers, Stanford appears to have come out on the better end.
  2. Washington - very well could (and should) take the PAC. I just don't see another year of film working out for Jake. Defense will be the difference maker with this team.
  3. Oregon - Decent recruiting and they better be better than a year 2 Cal.
  4. Wazzu - Could be number 3, but knowing Leech was almost out the door for another team along with a very tragic event this offseason has me thinking distraction.
  5. Cal - Team that honestly could have a ceiling number 2 in the North... But too early to place money on anything higher than six wins.
  6. OSU west - We watch CFB, no explanation needed.

South:
  1. Utah - Should be USC, but that's the story every year. Utah owns the trenches and with the majority of the south depending on the run game, I just see this year falling into the hands of the best coached south team (at the moment; UCLA cough... but that's next years problem)
  2. USC - USC returns three "starting" underperforming offensive linemen to protect one of three QB's with practically no experience in real CF games. The fact an incoming Freshman appears to be the likely starter says it all. The coaches are very good recruiters but this team looks like they're playing together for the first time in too many instances. Fact is, talent is the ONLY reason they aren't sharing space with OSU west.
  3. Arizona - this is the team with the highest ceiling in the south. Could be number one without a surprise. Tate is just a machine.
  4. UCLA/ASU - New coaches, all over the map on what could happen. I wouldn't put either above number three this year unless you have some serious inside dirt.
  5. see above
  6. Colorado - See OSU west comment.
[ Edited by Geeked on Jul 27, 2018 at 7:10 AM ]
Updated conference wins since Pac 12 started:

1. Stanford
2. USC
3. Oregon
4. Washington
5. ASU
6. UCLA
7. Washington State
8. Utah (tie with WSU)
9. Arizona
10. Cal
11. Oregon State (tie with Cal)
12. Colorado

5 year recruiting rankings per 24/7
1. USC
2. UCLA
3. Oregon
4. Stanford
5. ASU
6. Washington
7. Utah
8. Cal
9. Washington State
10. Arizona
11. Colorado
12. Oregon State

SunDevil, how are my UC Davis Aggies looking this year?
PFF ranks ASU Wilkins as 2nd best QB in pac 12, 11th best in nation, and best deep ball in nation.
Originally posted by sacniner:
SunDevil, how are my UC Davis Aggies looking this year?

Montana will still own them.
[ Edited by JustinMT on Jul 30, 2018 at 11:30 AM ]
  • Geeked
  • Veteran
PFF ranks ASU Wilkins as 2nd best QB in pac 12, 11th best in nation, and best deep ball in nation.

I'd take him over Browning. I still think a Healthy Costello is miles ahead of the other 11 proxies.

At the QB position, my ranking is:

1. Tate
  2. Costello
  3. Herbert
  4. Whomever throwing for a team not SC, Oregon State, Wazzu, and maybe Cal.

But, given the product this year, outside of Tate, I think anyone can make the number two spot: low odds are on talent, high odds on seniority.
  • Jiks
I could see Utah winning the South. This is easily the most talented team on paper that they've put out and it feels like a Pac-12 team from top to bottom. I think the secondary is going to be absolutely stellar.

I also know this team well enough that it wouldn't surprise me if they do finish 5th. The South is wide open really.
Share 49ersWebzone