LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 291 users in the forums

It's happening as we speak

It's because, in my experience, nobody is playing pickup games of any sport at the park anymore. It's all organized, key word, paid, sports. Trainers selling the fact that they can get their kids to the pros or parents thinking their kid is going to fall behind if they don't get into the sport at a young age.

I just shake my head when my wife asks me if we should get our kids on comp teams instead of recreational teams. My response...

Honey, just wait until puberty hits all these kids. Most of these parents will get a wake up call and some will still be in denial. Right now, lots of girls are better than the boys at any sport. Ponder that one. Just let our boys have fun and see if they want to hone in on anything after puberty.
Originally posted by Joecool:
It's because, in my experience, nobody is playing pickup games of any sport at the park anymore. It's all organized, key word, paid, sports. Trainers selling the fact that they can get their kids to the pros or parents thinking their kid is going to fall behind if they don't get into the sport at a young age.

I just shake my head when my wife asks me if we should get our kids on comp teams instead of recreational teams. My response...

Honey, just wait until puberty hits all these kids. Most of these parents will get a wake up call and some will still be in denial. Right now, lots of girls are better than the boys at any sport. Ponder that one. Just let our boys have fun and see if they want to hone in on anything after puberty.

The streets, at least where I grew up, were full kids playing football in the fall and winter. We would choose sides with how many kids were available, it was great.
Originally posted by RishikeshA:
Originally posted by Joecool:

The streets, at least where I grew up, were full kids playing football in the fall and winter. We would choose sides with how many kids were available, it was great.

Yup. I always kept cleats, a football, and a basketball in my trunk and would always find a game every weekend. Now, I don't think so, football especially.
Share 49ersWebzone