LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 274 users in the forums

It's happening as we speak

• Janitor
  • HOF Food Reviews
Originally posted by Niners99:
Soccer is a terrible sport. The only reason its the most popular worldwide is because it can be played anywhere, with no need for equipment.

The pro game is like watching guys run long distance track and field, just with a ball thrown in there. And then theres the flopping, which is a huge joke.

Remove alcohol and bitter geographic rivalries, and all you have is a game with a 0-0 score and grown men faking injury on every brush of contact.

I just want to point out that this dude loves Baseball
  • Janitor
  • HOF Food Reviews
Calls soccer a long distance track and field with a ball.

Baseball is a bunch of dudes STANDING THERE with a ball. Then gently touching each other with a leather glove on occasion.
  • Jiks
Originally posted by Janitor:

Baseball is a bunch of dudes STANDING THERE with a ball. Then gently touching each other with a leather glove on occasion.
This... Standing takes no athletic ability at all. 1 guy pitches the other bats, the rest of both teams do nothing but stand there or sit in the dugout. If baseball is a sport, me wanking it should be considered an ultra sport.
Originally posted by Janitor:

Baseball is the most pressure packed, dramatic sport out there. The people who love to talk crap about it always refer to day games in mid July. Watch the meaningful games, when youre pacing around between every pitch.

Heres the thing, baseball players throw 98 mph pitches with movement, and crush the ball 50 rows up into the 2nd deck. There are diving catches, plays at the plate, stolen bases, etc. Theres standing in between those events, but they actually happen.

Soccer is running down an open field getting the ball stolen back and forth constantly. You know your sport sucks when the fans treat a scoring play like they just won the Cup. "OMG!!! A goal!!! I was hoping wed get to see one today!" Just getting a shot off is a big deal in soccer.

Baseball has so many elements that make it a great sport.

Baseball is the most pressure packed, dramatic sport out there.

Uh, no. lol
Originally posted by SunDevilNiner79:
Originally posted by StOnEy333:
More kids play soccer in the USA than any other sport.

And as far as your comment about no violence, football is the only violent sport for the most part that kids play. Baseball and basketball are still very popular and don't have violence holding them together.

Depends on the age level....

http://www.espn.com/espn/story/_/id/9469252/hidden-demographics-youth-sports-espn-magazine

After age 9, basketball is the most popular.

Soccer is only the 4th most popular sport when kids are Juniors or Seniors in high school.

That's why I used the word "kids". When they grow up they aren't kids anymore. They're young men and women. What I stated wasn't incorrect in any manner. When people are seniors they are adults. Which makes no sense to include in this discussion.

Uh, no. lol

Take this opportunity to watch some playoff baseball.

BTW, which sport is more dramatic then? Football, where the last 3 minutes of most games are spent running out clock? Or is it Basketball, where the last 2 minutes are spent fouling and shooting free throws in desperation to get another possession?
[ Edited by Niners99 on Oct 6, 2016 at 2:07 PM ]

Uh, no. lol

BTW, which sport is more dramatic then? Football, where the last 3 minutes of most games are spent running out clock? Or is it Basketball, where the last 2 minutes are spent fouling and shooting free throws in desperation to get another possession?

Because 2 minute drives never happen in football.

And baseball is always dramatic, like when there is more than a 3 run lead any point after the 7th inning and guys are just hacking away at any ball thrown close to the plate? You can twist any sport negatively if you want. Doesn't change the truth. And the truth is baseball can be dramatic, just like any sport. But a lot of the time it's just everybody standing around watching 2 guys play catch.
  • Cjez
  • Hall of Fame
i have a 7 y/o nephew that plays soccer and baseball. He tried tackle football but he sucked and he said it hurt. I told him to stick to girl sports. So he did.

Uh, no. lol

And baseball is always dramatic, like when there is more than a 3 run lead any point after the 7th inning and guys are just hacking away at any ball thrown close to the plate? You can twist any sport negatively if you want. Doesn't change the truth. And the truth is baseball can be dramatic, just like any sport. But a lot of the time it's just everybody standing around watching 2 guys play catch.

Baseball is never over until its over. There no clock to bleed. You have to get that 27th out regardless. Plus its a lot of black and white calls. Fair or foul. Safe or out. The other sports having constant player contact allows for refs to make any ridiculous judgement call they want and influence the outcome of the game.

Arent you supposedly a long time Giants fan? I remember you being defensive when people accuse you of not being a real fan. Kind of odd that youd be talking crap about baseball...

Uh, no. lol

Baseball is never over until its over. There no clock to bleed. You have to get that 27th out regardless. Plus its a lot of black and white calls. Fair or foul. Safe or out. The other sports having constant player contact allows for refs to make any ridiculous judgement call they want and influence the outcome of the game.

Arent you supposedly a long time Giants fan? I remember you being defensive when people accuse you of not being a real fan. Kind of odd that youd be talking crap about baseball...

This is where you're making something out of nothing. I'm not bad mouthing baseball. I'm just telling the truth as I see it. Has nothing to do with who I am a fan of and for how long. But nice try. lol

And talk about ridiculous judgement calls? What about each home plate umpire deciding what they think the strike zone should be? I suggest you watch the Real Sports episode they just did on the electronic strike zone that Eric Burns is trying to push. It basically uses the technology that all the fans get to see during the game and on their phones anywhere in the world to see what a strike is or not. Yet even though this tech exists, baseball ignores it and allows each umpire to call the game incorrectly. After a study, they found the home plate umpires get exactly 1 out of every 3 calls wrong. 1/3 of the time they make the wrong call and that's deemed more acceptable than using the tech that can get the call right every time. They show Burns umpiring behind the plate and after every pitch they say strike or ball and he makes the call at the plate. There is no drop off in time of game or any delay. Watch the episode and tell me what sport relies on incorrect judgement calls more.
[ Edited by StOnEy333 on Oct 6, 2016 at 2:52 PM ]
  • Janitor
  • HOF Food Reviews
Damn, Stoney is dropping knowledge!

I played baseball for years. I don't hate baseball. But I think it is silly to trash soccer as a boring game and tout how exciting baseball is.
Originally posted by SunDevilNiner79:
More kids play soccer in the USA than any other sport.

And as far as your comment about no violence, football is the only violent sport for the most part that kids play. Baseball and basketball are still very popular and don't have violence holding them together.

Depends on the age level....

http://www.espn.com/espn/story/_/id/9469252/hidden-demographics-youth-sports-espn-magazine

After age 9, basketball is the most popular.

Soccer is only the 4th most popular sport when kids are Juniors or Seniors in high school.

That's why I used the word "kids". When they grow up they aren't kids anymore. They're young men and women. What I stated wasn't incorrect in any manner. When people are seniors they are adults. Which makes no sense to include in this discussion.

if you say so Mr. Sensitive

Uh, no. lol

This is where you're making something out of nothing. I'm not bad mouthing baseball. I'm just telling the truth as I see it. Has nothing to do with who I am a fan of and for how long. But nice try. lol

And talk about ridiculous judgement calls? What about each home plate umpire deciding what they think the strike zone should be? I suggest you watch the Real Sports episode they just did on the electronic strike zone that Eric Burns is trying to push. It basically uses the technology that all the fans get to see during the game and on their phones anywhere in the world to see what a strike is or not. Yet even though this tech exists, baseball ignores it and allows each umpire to call the game incorrectly. After a study, they found the home plate umpires get exactly 1 out of every 3 calls wrong. 1/3 of the time they make the wrong call and that's deemed more acceptable than using the tech that can get the call right every time. They show Burns umpiring behind the plate and after every pitch they say strike or ball and he makes the call at the plate. There is no drop off in time of game or any delay. Watch the episode and tell me what sport relies on incorrect judgement calls more.

Umps are allowed to call their own strike zones. As long as both teams are getting equally screwed, its still a level playing field. It just infuriates the players. With today's technology and communication, it would be extremely hard to rig a baseball game, or influence it one way or the other unfairly. PITCHf/x shows the world where the ball is, so if an ump starts cheating one team, it would be seen immediately. Ultimately as long as an ump calls a consistent zone for both teams, theyre doing a good job. Players can adapt, they just want to know what the zone looks like.

The officiating in baseball is the best in sports. Now that they have a full replay system, they get the call right 99% of the time. The same cant be said for basketball, where the refs decide who is going to be in foul trouble based purely on their own perception of physical contact. Obviously the NFL is a total joke in this area.

As for soccer, its a culture. Its my city vs your city, or my country vs your country. Its a massive, worldwide sport because everybody plays it. Everybody plays it because its simple and cheap. I just get tired of the idea that soccer is the best sport because the entire world loves it. The game itself isnt that interesting. Its a lot of running, and losing possession of the ball, with the very occasional breakaway towards a usually missed shot on goal. Its the sense of unity it brings that causes its popularity, not the game itself.

America has football, baseball, basketball, hockey, etc. We have the highest level of league competition for far more interesting and detailed games, which is why soccer is not that big here. We have better options. Look at other countries who have baseball. Japan fell in love with baseball in the 1930's, and its considered their countries' main sport. You also dont hear a ton about the soccer team from the Dominican Republic, in a very soccer crazed part of the world. Theyre a baseball country. Better and more interesting sports will rise to the top.
lol soccer, might as well play cheerleading while you are at it
Share 49ersWebzone