LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 136 users in the forums

2016 - 2017 NBA Discussion Thread

Originally posted by SunDevilNiner79:

My labrador can't stand the commentary from anywhere so I watch with telly muted and the soothing sounds of Paul Simon keeping her happy
Originally posted by GoldenGateGlory:
My labrador can't stand the commentary from anywhere so I watch with telly muted and the soothing sounds of Paul Simon keeping her happy

Tell me more.
Originally posted by bugulgad:
Yes it absolutely has to do with a NOW society. Just look at the fact that nobody pre 1990 is considered in the top 3

btw it goes MJ, Kobe then Lebron(lost far too many titles that cannot be made up for no matter what else he does)

disclaimer, I at least acknowledge that my top 3 is severely inconclusive due to the fact that I don't know enough about the greats beforehand and don't care enough to learn, yet I have the audacity to claim to know who the GOAT is. Furthermore I believe the very concept of a GOAT is sophomoric anyhow.

Very few people I know have Kobe in the top 3, but I'm guessing a lot of people in their 20s and 30s overrate Kobe in southern California. For me, there's a top 2 now (MJ then Lebron) and then there's 3-4 guys who would be in the discussion for #3 (Kobe isn't one of them).

Tier 1: MJ, Lebron
Tier 2: Kareem, Wilt, Magic, Shaq
Tier 3: Duncan, Kobe, Bird, Hakeem, Robertson, Russell

The highest I can imagine ranking Kobe is 7th, but you could make an argument for any of the guys in that third tier to be ranked ahead of Kobe. Everyone in the 2nd tier was way more efficient than Kobe and more dominant in their prime. Tim Duncan was more efficient throughout his career than Kobe and won 5 rings as the best player on his team (Shaq was the best player on the Lakers for 3 of Kobe's 5 rings). The difference was that Duncan wasn't flashy and didn't play in Los Angeles or he'd be more popular.

It's pointless to argue about this though, because Kobe fans will continue to rank him in the top 3 for as long as they live in all likelihood even though players 20-30 years from now will be better than any of these guys. Everyone wants to believe they saw the GOAT.
Share 49ersWebzone