LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 187 users in the forums

2016-17 Los Angeles Lakers thread

• titan
  • Veteran
Originally posted by TheHYDE49er:
Originally posted by titan:
This NBA draft is full of talent.

nice guard talent that's for sure. if we actually happen to keep our top 3 pick, i wouldn't be mad if we took a guard and traded Russel, future first, and someone like Nance/Zubac, for a good big man. reports are that Pistons are entertaining talks for Drummond.

What the heck is wrong with Russel anyway? So disappointing.

nice guard talent that's for sure. if we actually happen to keep our top 3 pick, i wouldn't be mad if we took a guard and traded Russel, future first, and someone like Nance/Zubac, for a good big man. reports are that Pistons are entertaining talks for Drummond.

He's 21. I don't think it's time to throw him away just yet. It's obvious he's got some serious talent. He just needs to get more consistent. Even kobe wasnt ready to carry the franchise at that age.
Originally posted by StOnEy333:

He's 21. I don't think it's time to throw him away just yet. It's obvious he's got some serious talent. He just needs to get more consistent. Even kobe wasnt ready to carry the franchise at that age.

He doesn't have the motor, you can see that too. He's way too nonchalant out there a lot of the times. I don't know if that's something that can be adjusted and he can be taught how to stay aggressive, especially on offense.

Plus, Kobe was younger at that time, and you can easily see his tenacity and willingness to be physical, something you don't see with Russel. Ingram reminds me much more of Kobe than Russel does.
[ Edited by TheHYDE49er on Feb 22, 2017 at 9:17 PM ]

He doesn't have the motor, you can see that too. He's way too nonchalant out there a lot of the times. I don't know if that's something that can be adjusted and he can be taught how to stay aggressive, especially on offense.

Plus, Kobe was younger at that time, and you can easily see his tenacity and willingness to be physical, something you don't see with Russel. Ingram reminds me much more of Kobe than Russel does.

Kobe was younger than 21 when he was 21? lol

I meant that he was younger in his 2nd NBA season, I believe Kobe was only 18, or 19 in his 2nd NBA season.

edit: ya, he was drafted at 17, and was 18 in his 2nd NBA season. so i guess if you're try and compare Russel to Kobe (lol) we better see 20 ppg next year. either way, he's no Kobe, doesn't have anywhere near the motor Kobe had at that age.
[ Edited by TheHYDE49er on Feb 22, 2017 at 10:19 PM ]

I meant that he was younger in his 2nd NBA season, I believe Kobe was only 18, or 19 in his 2nd NBA season.

edit: ya, he was drafted at 17, and was 18 in his 2nd NBA season. so i guess if you're try and compare Russel to Kobe (lol) we better see 20 ppg next year. either way, he's no Kobe, doesn't have anywhere near the motor Kobe had at that age.

Kobe was 18 at the start of his rookie season, and 19 at the start of his 2nd.

Obviously D-Lo is not Kobe. Very few have ever been like Kobe. But Kobe was far from a complete player at that point, as is Russell. No player is a complete player in their 2nd season. No player in the history of the game was complete in their 2nd season. That's my point. Quite trying to make this into I said Russell will be as good as Kobe. I didn't say that, nor imply it.

Kobe was 18 at the start of his rookie season, and 19 at the start of his 2nd.

Obviously D-Lo is not Kobe. Very few have ever been like Kobe. But Kobe was far from a complete player at that point, as is Russell. No player is a complete player in their 2nd season. No player in the history of the game was complete in their 2nd season. That's my point. Quite trying to make this into I said Russell will be as good as Kobe. I didn't say that, nor imply it.

i don't think players are complete either by their second year, but you definitely can tell whether they got talent or not. one thing that stands out a lot to anybody that's watched Lakers games this year is Russel's lack of energy and hustle a lot of the times. i'm not questioning his talent, just his passion when he's on the court. something i don't worry about when i watch Ingram, Nance, Clarkson, or even Randle.
  • titan
  • Veteran
i don't think players are complete either by their second year, but you definitely can tell whether they got talent or not. one thing that stands out a lot to anybody that's watched Lakers games this year is Russel's lack of energy and hustle a lot of the times. i'm not questioning his talent, just his passion when he's on the court. something i don't worry about when i watch Ingram, Nance, Clarkson, or even Randle.

Maybe that's it. He seems to be on coast mode, instead of beast mode.
warriors fan here but i am always a fan of teams with young talents. How has Ingram looked so far? do the stats tell the whole story or does he flash his potential?

Also, I thought Russel was going to average at least 19 ppg this year, what happened?
Originally posted by gold49digger:
warriors fan here but i am always a fan of teams with young talents. How has Ingram looked so far? do the stats tell the whole story or does he flash his potential?

Also, I thought Russel was going to average at least 19 ppg this year, what happened?

Ingram has been fine, can't except too much out of an 18 year old. He plays hard on both ends of the court and that's very encouraging. The talent is there, he has moments where he looks great. He's pretty much the only Laker I can surely say that he will be a perennial all-star in this league.
[ Edited by TheHYDE49er on Feb 25, 2017 at 8:20 PM ]

• Jcool
  • Veteran
wow wtf
lots of drama going on. Damn you Jim, let see if Magic can do his thing. For once, I'm on Jeanie Buss' side.

Exactly!

"Lack of energy and hustle" is how players look when they're thinking rather than reacting. It's hard to play fast or look like you're playing with energy if you cant anticipate where the play is going and you're forced to see what happens and react.

I attribute his slower build up to a) not being an elite athlete relative to other PGs b) playing PG in a new offensive system for the entire team.

A) Young guys that are freak athletes make up for mistakes with their physical tools. Russell doesnt have elite speed to recover once he's behind on a play on offense or defense. I dont think he'll ever be in the top 5-10 PGs in speed, but as he gets stronger and more experienced he should be able to use his size to better control his matchups. For now he's not strong enough to wear down other PGs, and is at a disadvantage with foot speed. He gets beat on defense and cant recover or gets pressured into TOs on offense. Matchups like Bledsoe and Wall expose him because of this disadvantage.

B) He's trying to make the right plays within the context of the offense and the game which makes him think too much and react too little. His teammates don't know the counters to the plays they run so the offense stalls against pressure defenses. Once he and his teammates fully implement Luke's offense with all it's counters then he'll be able to take advantage of his and his teammates strengths. For example, he'll be able to bring the ball up, give it up early, and play off the ball all in one possession.

To me it has alot to do with being so young in a guard oriented NBA. Once he matures physically/mentally and can control the pace of the game, he has potential to be a better passing Shawn Livingston with 3 pt range. I can see him turning his 15-5-4 to 20-8-6 type season next year.
Share 49ersWebzone