LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 270 users in the forums

Was Hayne right to quit the 49ers and chase Olympic Glory with the Fiji 7s?

Was Hayne right to quit the 49ers and chase Olympic Glory with the Fiji 7s?

• JoNeo
  • Veteran
It will be interesting to see how 7mate reacts
Hopefully they will continue to televise the 49ers games to the land downunder
We shall see I suppose
I won't hold my breath Jo, they stopped showing Niner games last year when Hayne got PS'd if memory serves.
Originally posted by JoNeo:
Originally posted by Zealot:
Probably doesn't answer your question, but it might surprise you that a lot of Hayne supporters were anything but before he went over there.

Many of us support an opposing club or state team to that which Hayne played for in Rugby League. But put him in the Green and Gold (Australian) jumper or on the international scene as a San Francisco Forty-Niner, and it galvanised support here at home that transcended those old club and state lines.

Now that he's bailed, I personally won't be following his story, but not out of any animosity, rather because he's choosing to represent another nation in a sport I don't care about, as a Fiji Rugby 7's player. If that falls through and he comes back to League, I'll view him just as I did before he left, the "enemy" whether he's in an Eels or New South Wales (state representative) jumper, but a true blue Aussie if he's in the Green and Gold.

Besides all that, one thing that makes me chuckle a bit is how some site members can't seem to come to terms with how some of us have become fans of the Niners through the process. They seem to think we would all tuck tail and run after Hayne, as though he was our be all and end all and we're incapable of making choices independent of his.

Some of us had an interest in the NFL long before Hayne ever played in our NRL, let alone actually made the switch between the two. But the string of ex Aussie Rules punters prior to Hayne, whilst duly respected, didn't really have the pull for League fans to bring about a commitment to learn the game or to a team. Hayne had that pull as a high profile NRL guy going over with the goal to become a player, not just to kick the occasional ball then go sit down.

Despite how that turned out, I've grown attached to this team as poor as they are or hopefully were, having watched all last season's games whether Hayne featured or not. I don't feel as though I'm intruding. I might still be a learner but I'm a Niner fan and I'm here to stay.

160percent

Awesome Some guys here are just a*****es. Glad a lot of you stuck around.
And I totally agree with all the diehard compats in the recent comments here too. Niner fan and plain disappointed in Hayne. He is a disgrace.

Even though Blake Muir is still here I won't be talking him up either. I want the best for the team.

Hopefully in a few years the 49ers can buy Adam Gotsis.
  • Goatie
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NinerGod:

Yeah I like the 49ers particularly with Chip as coach. It will be much better then last year and we will have more to cheer about. I am hoping 12 - 4 from Chip's 49ers and I don't think that is optimistic as I am sure a lot of players have something to prove.

As for Hayne he has just proved himself an A grade looser being dumped from the Fiji 7s and now going back to his old NRL club with his tail between his legs. It is guaranteed he wont receive a warm welcome from the NRL fans outside the Eels and some within wont be impressed either.

Go the 49ers in 2016!!!
Gotta ask you guys, is there a division between the fans that followed Hayne to the States and thought less of him for quitting football, and fans that thought he should have never left and want to see him succeed elsewhere? Is there somekind of rivalry there?

Like others have said, everyone has slightly different reasons why they have fallen out with Hayne.

My thoughts on him are as follows...

I had already been an American football fan for close to 12 years (both Pro/College... Pro first & college about 4 years later) ... It overtook rugby union as my favourite sport back in 2007-10 & remains my favourite sport although it is close (AF 1A - RU 1B... Rugby league ranks in at number 3, but is a bit behind the other two).

Because I have no geographical connection to any American teams, I always followed the sport purely for the love of the game... When Hayne went to the 49ers it presented the first real chance I had to follow a specific team rather than following the league as a whole.

Although I never believed Jarryd would cut it as an NFL RB, I thought his versatility could potentially make him a valuable asset on ST & as he developed possibly become more involved in the game plan on both offense & defense.

I was under the impression he was serious about pursuing this dream & had allocate at least 2-3 years (preferably 3) to the NFL.

We have a lot more cross code (cross sport) athletes in this part of the world... The athletes that dedicate the most time to learning their new sport tend to do better than the ones who set unrealistically short time frames for success... Hayne quitting after one season seems like a huge waste of time.

Another factor of annoyance I had was the hype... His journey was Australia's own version of Tebowmania. It wasn't uncommon at the height of the hype-train for there to be 4-5 Hayne articles daily across a number of Australian news sites. It was also common for them to exaggerate the things he did with the 49ers... When you factor in the kind of hype & media attention he received, you expect a little more than one season & a new dream of playing Rugby 7s in Rio.

Finally his late switch to the Fijian Rugby 7s team seemed dubious... He left the change to a new sport way too late & his selection in the championship winning side would have been a decision based on internal politics, not merit.

Not earning your media/public attention or place in a team on merit is personally one of my biggest pet peeves... Jarryd prior to his NFL journey earned every single accolade that came his way... His two years playing American football & 7s was a whole lot of hype & very little substance. Seeing him standing on the winners podium at the London 7s as Fiji received the 2016 championship trophy & winners medals was a joke.

There was even talk at one point of him being Australia's greatest athlete & cross code sportsperson.

In summary....

Jarryd was already a world class athlete before he left, he didn't need to succeed in the NFL to validate that... However for the past two years he has done very little for all the praise he has been receiving & it's time for him to start earning it again.
[ Edited by SportOvaFilmTV on Jul 10, 2016 at 9:23 PM ]
  • JoNeo
  • Veteran
Top appraisal SportO
People like Jonathon Thurston/Darren Lockyere are more deserving of their own brand IMO
  • 4x9er
  • Veteran
I loved him then I got let down by him, so I hated on him and now I feel happy he got put down. But one thing I can thank him for is leading me to the niners, so thank you hayne for doing that, you can let yourself out the backdoor quietly mate, no one following you, at least not here anyways.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/07/11/ex-49er-jarryd-hayne-fails-to-make-fiji-olympic-rugby-team/
  • Goatie
  • Veteran
Originally posted by mayo49:
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/07/11/ex-49er-jarryd-hayne-fails-to-make-fiji-olympic-rugby-team/

Yeah twice a quitter. Not the legacy I would want in the twilight of my career.

Just goes to show you don't need a long neck to be a goose.

Originally posted by Goatie:

Yeah I like the 49ers particularly with Chip as coach. It will be much better then last year and we will have more to cheer about. I am hoping 12 - 4 from Chip's 49ers and I don't think that is optimistic as I am sure a lot of players have something to prove.

As for Hayne he has just proved himself an A grade looser being dumped from the Fiji 7s and now going back to his old NRL club with his tail between his legs. It is guaranteed he wont receive a warm welcome from the NRL fans outside the Eels and some within wont be impressed either.

Go the 49ers in 2016!!!

You win. Hayne... f**k that guy. "It's my dream!! Oh dang, this dream is hard... THIS is my dream!! Shoot, I guess you wanted me to practice for this and be in sport-specific shape??? Oh, well NRL is really my home!"

run home, coward.
  • 4x9er
  • Veteran
Originally posted by WRATHman44:
You win. Hayne... f**k that guy. "It's my dream!! Oh dang, this dream is hard... THIS is my dream!! Shoot, I guess you wanted me to practice for this and be in sport-specific shape??? Oh, well NRL is really my home!"

run home, coward.
He gonna get his paycheck in a paperbag at a mcdonalds carpark from parramatta
Originally posted by 4x9er:
Originally posted by WRATHman44:

run home, coward.
He gonna get his paycheck in a paperbag at a mcdonalds carpark from parramatta

4x9er is referring to this...

In his signed statement, Seward writes: "Corey Norman was promised additional payments of $36,000 which was to cover rental payments of approximately $3000 per month.

"I recall Nolan telling me that the payments of $3000 per month were for Norman's rent. On one occasion I recall Nolan telling me that he handed Norman a cash payment in the car park at Top Ryde.

http://m.smh.com.au/rugby-league/parramatta-eels/parramatta-eels-salary-cap-crisis-corey-norman-allegedly-given-cash-payments-in-car-park-20160709-gq252y.html

The Parramatta Eels are the NRL team Hayne played for prior to heading to the NFL and look to be the place he's most likely to go after being ruled out of the Fiji Olympic 7's team. The Eels have recently been fined and had competition points deducted due to salary cap breaches.
  • Goatie
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Zealot:
4x9er is referring to this...

http://m.smh.com.au/rugby-league/parramatta-eels/parramatta-eels-salary-cap-crisis-corey-norman-allegedly-given-cash-payments-in-car-park-20160709-gq252y.html

The Parramatta Eels are the NRL team Hayne played for prior to heading to the NFL and look to be the place he's most likely to go after being ruled out of the Fiji Olympic 7's team. The Eels have recently been fined and had competition points deducted due to salary cap breaches.

A team run by turds with the king turd returning.

The management of Parramatta make Jed and Trent look like Einstein and Hawkins
I was spot on, Hayne confirms that he really left the NFL because he was simply bored to tears of the NFL due to the little amount of time they spend on the field.

Jarryd Hayne talks NFL venture, lack of game time and Fijian rugby scouting

Originally posted by tushdaun:
Hayne quit because he was bored to tears of the NFL. The Olympics 7's thing was just good PR, because it wouldn't help the 9ers or his own image if he made a statement to say that he was bored to tears of the NFL.

It is a good decision to switch back to league now or to have a European adventure in European rugby before he loses his skills.

I think Hayne will be happy to just train with the Fijians for a few weeks and then go to the Olympics as part of the Fijian cheer squad because he is very unlikely to make the squad at such late notice. He doesn't even know the rugby rules yet and he doesn't have the fitness yet or the rugby 7's game sense to be in the 12 man squad ahead of some of their gun 7's players.
Share 49ersWebzone