LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 279 users in the forums

Is Curry one of the best offensive players ever?

Is Curry one of the best offensive players ever?

• BobS
  • Veteran
Originally posted by crzy:
The basketball hall of fame is a joke though.

First of all, it's ridiculous that the NBA doesn't have it's own Hall of Fame, and instead shares it with college basketball players, international players, and WNBA/famous female basketball players.

The Hall of Fame is one thing that the MLB does way better than the NBA.

Guys like Sarunas Marciulionis and Ralph Sampson being in the same "Hall of Fame" as Jordan and Wilt doesn't sit well with me. And I know they were legends internationally and in the NCAA, respectively. But neither deserve to be in an "NBA Hall of Fame".
I will definitely cosign that.
  • BobS
  • Veteran
The question is "Is Curry one of the best offensive players ever? Other than this year he has never been in the top 5 in scoring. The fact "Top Ten" is winning the poll is amazing, Late in his 7th season he just went over 10,000 career points. 40 guys in NBA history have over 20,000 and 8 of those are still active. He would need 4 more years at this years pace to creep into the top 40 all time. He has a long way to go to be anywhere near even top 15.
Now if you asked "Is he one of the best jump shooters of all time" that would be a different answer.
Originally posted by BobS:
The question is "Is Curry one of the best offensive players ever? Other than this year he has never been in the top 5 in scoring. The fact "Top Ten" is winning the poll is amazing, Late in his 7th season he just went over 10,000 career points. 40 guys in NBA history have over 20,000 and 8 of those are still active. He would need 4 more years at this years pace to creep into the top 40 all time. He has a long way to go to be anywhere near even top 15.
Now if you asked "Is he one of the best jump shooters of all time" that would be a different answer.

I think its pretty much a given that he is the BEST shooter of all time. Not just one of the best. No one has ever shot the ball with the kind of range that Curry does.

As for greatest offensive player ever? Well, he is certainly having one of the greatest offensive seasons ever. That is without dispute. He does need to put 3-4 more years at a high level though to get into the top 10 of all time. That I agree with.
Originally posted by crzy:
The basketball hall of fame is a joke though.

First of all, it's ridiculous that the NBA doesn't have it's own Hall of Fame, and instead shares it with college basketball players, international players, and WNBA/famous female basketball players.

The Hall of Fame is one thing that the MLB does way better than the NBA.

Guys like Sarunas Marciulionis and Ralph Sampson being in the same "Hall of Fame" as Jordan and Wilt doesn't sit well with me. And I know they were legends internationally and in the NCAA, respectively. But neither deserve to be in an "NBA Hall of Fame".

I don't mind it. I have no problem celebrating other great basketball players / coaches.
[ Edited by 4x4niner on Mar 2, 2016 at 2:59 AM ]
  • 9er2k
  • Veteran
Curry is the greatest shooter ever...period.
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
Originally posted by RishikeshA:
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
Originally posted by RishikeshA:
Originally posted by YungAce:
Thats why I don't include Bill Russell in my top 8 all time

Did you see Bill Russell play?

Somehow I dont think someone named Yung Ace is going to be 55+ years old and have seen Bill Russell play.

For me he would be just outside my top 8 actually. Maybe around 10th.. Curry has a shot to get into the top 10 all time but he will need 4 or 5 great years to get there.

1) Jordan
2) Jabbar
3) Magic
4) Wilt
5) Bird
6) Lebron
7) Duncan
8) Kobe
9) O'Neil
10) Russell

Did you ever see Bill Russell play?

yep

I've simply read and heard too much about how Wilt was the superior to Bill Russell back in the day, and can't place him in my top 8 simply because of his amount of championship rings in an era where there weren't many teams and great players overall. I'm with John on all of the players placed ahead of Russell above. Again, this is my opinion and will differ from everyone else's based off of my era of basketball and older 80's/90's basketball highlights I grew up watching.

Back to the OP's question, I'd say Curry has the potential to tap into the top 3 with years of consistent play obviously. Going off of the current buzz alone about how the game could change (rules/court changes/etc) due to Curry and his style of play only warrants some consideration. That's Wilt Chamberlain esque in an era where players are physically dominant to past decades. Check out all of the Curry facts on reddit, ridiculous.
[ Edited by YungAce on Mar 2, 2016 at 5:27 PM ]
The real question is, if theres 5 seconds left, game 7 of the Finals, youre down, and on top of it all your own life depends on that final shot, who do you want to have the ball? I would take Jordan and Bird before Curry.
  • 9er2k
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Niners99:
The real question is, if theres 5 seconds left, game 7 of the Finals, youre down, and on top of it all your own life depends on that final shot, who do you want to have the ball? I would take Jordan and Bird before Curry.

Reggie Miller
There's a guy name draymond green that is an all time great.....

Right now he's definitely the best offensive player I've ever seen on a basketball court. Whether or not he's the GREATEST will be determined by his longevity and success in years to come. But right now, he's playing at a level on Offense that we haven't seen before.
Most of the players that people would consider to be "all time greats offensively" did a lot of scoring because of their athletic ability, or their size in general.

Curry isn't physically imposing, at all, and isnt any where near the athlete of someone like pre-injury Rose, or Westbrook, so what Curry is doing is pure skill, and it's pretty f**king amazing!
Originally posted by 9er2k:

Reggie Miller

Reggie Miller needed like 5 picks to get open.
Originally posted by 9er2k:

Reggie Miller
White Mamba
Originally posted by blizzuntz:
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:
As of right now, he's the best shooter of all-time. If he keeps this up, wins a few more championships, he might go down as the best ever.

That is a big slap in the face of the police

Boy u stoopid
Share 49ersWebzone