LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 265 users in the forums

Is Curry one of the best offensive players ever?

Is Curry one of the best offensive players ever?

Originally posted by RishikeshA:
Wilt Chamberlain did things no one in NBA history has come close to. He averaged 50 points a game for an entire season and averaged 22 rebounds per game over his entire career. He once had 55 rebounds in a game, and scored 100 points in a single game. It wasen't a soft game back then. In this fast media world we're looking for GOAT before the next game starts. The Chamberlain-Russell matchup will never duplicated.

Wilt Chamberlain and Bill Russell played in an era where they were men going against boys. When the NBA became more and and more loaded with big talent into the 1980's, they were already gone. Put David Robinson or Hakeem Olajuwon in the NBA at that time instead, and theyd be regarded in the same way.
Originally posted by Niners99:
Wilt Chamberlain did things no one in NBA history has come close to. He averaged 50 points a game for an entire season and averaged 22 rebounds per game over his entire career. He once had 55 rebounds in a game, and scored 100 points in a single game. It wasen't a soft game back then. In this fast media world we're looking for GOAT before the next game starts. The Chamberlain-Russell matchup will never duplicated.

Wilt Chamberlain and Bill Russell played in an era where they were men going against boys. When the NBA became more and and more loaded with big talent into the 1980's, they were already gone. Put David Robinson or Hakeem Olajuwon in the NBA at that time instead, and theyd be regarded in the same way.

David Robinson wasnt close to the player that Wilt was no matter what the era. Have you ever seen clips of Wil when he was on the Globetrotters? The guy could run like I have never seen anyone his size run. He was clearly a freak of nature and would have been dominant no matter when he played. Robinson was great - just not one of the top 5 players ever like Wilt was.
[ Edited by Ninerjohn on Feb 28, 2016 at 1:27 PM ]
Probably the greatest shooter ever, but basketball rule changes make this impossible to frame. It's a totally different game now compared to when the other greats played. Basketball had the biggest rule changes of any sport.
He gives defenders PTSD- Post Traumatic Steph Disorder
Wilt could jump and grab a silver dollar off the top of the backboard. He was a high jumper. He played for the Harlem Globetrotters a year before he entered the NBA. He would dribble behind his back, make no look passes. In the pivot with his back to the basket he would windmill the ball with his huge hands. He would motion players to spots on the court by palming the basketball and pointing which way to go. Teams would practice defending him by using brooms to imitate his massive reach. His strength was legendary, he would dunk a basketball while opposing defenders would be holding both hands on his shoulders, coming along for the ride. In today's game you touch Steph's finger and it's a 3 point foul, It's a different game.
I said top 10 for Threesus

• fropwns
  • #1 Greenlaw Fan
Originally posted by InsertNameHere:
Originally posted by fropwns:
Wayyyyyyyy too soooon. Let the young man grow into that category.

How many years does a player need to play before you would consider them "all-time great worthy"?

If he has another 3yrs like this one, or even better, with 2 more MVPs and 2 more Rings, he's a first ballet HOF with ease. What's crazy, is that he'd probably get in if this was his last year.

Depends, how long did Gail Sayers play pro-ball? What about Terrell Davis? I mention these two because they were both on all-world paces and both had horrific injuries that ended their careers. One is in the HOF, the other isn't. My point is that everybody wants to anoint the modern guy that is on fire into the HOF. Give the dude time. I ain't saying he isn't, I am saying why would you already have him up there with the all-time greats in such a short time? Do, I think he'll get there? Yes, if he stays healthy.
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
Originally posted by Niners99:

David Robinson wasnt close to the player that Wilt was no matter what the era. Have you ever seen clips of Wil when he was on the Globetrotters? The guy could run like I have never seen anyone his size run. He was clearly a freak of nature and would have been dominant no matter when he played. Robinson was great - just not one of the top 5 players ever like Wilt was.

Maybe saying Robinson was pushing it, but the point is that back then made it hard to tell how great they were in comparison to the modern era, because the league wasnt nearly as loaded with talent.
  • crzy
  • Hall of Fame

Agree.

Fans and media anointing Curry as the best ever offensive player....is the sort of thing that is creating all the backlash from the old legends like Barkley and Oscar.

Curry hasn't played at this level for long enough to even be in the discussion.

Just wait until he wins a second ring at least
  • MuggD
  • Veteran
lol Tracy McGrady

• MuggD
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Bluesbro:
I said top 10 for Threesus

Ahahaa that's good
His PPG would be god like if he played all of those 4th quarters. At least 5 min in each. Other fans don't know he almost reached 50 multiple times before he was pulled. Same with Klay
  • fropwns
  • #1 Greenlaw Fan
Originally posted by crzy:

Agree.

Fans and media anointing Curry as the best ever offensive player....is the sort of thing that is creating all the backlash from the old legends like Barkley and Oscar.

Right? I mean no disrespect to him. From what I have seen of him, he is a machine.
Originally posted by crzy:

Agree.

Hes only 7 NBA Finals MVP awards away from passing Jordan.
  • BobS
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 4everFaithful:

55 rebounds in a game is ridiculous. Was he twice everyone elses size?
7-1 275 back when the average center was probably 6-8 220. With his long arms and leaping ability he could touch the top of the back board, he was even triple teamed frequently.
Share 49ersWebzone