LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 172 users in the forums

Crikey it's the Cricket Thread

• Goatie
  • Veteran
Originally posted by JoNeo:
Originally posted by Goatie:
Smith and the other cheats must be banned for life if Australian Cricket is to gain any credibility.

Originally posted by Zealot:
Smith and Warner have both stood down prior to the resumption of play on day 4. Sensational!

Such a bad look for Australian sport . There is no hosing down the significance of this error in judgement.
Better to have lost with dignity. Now there is no winning, win or loose!
And bright yellow tape...Worlds dumbest

They both have to go or Australia will have no credibility

• JoNeo
  • Veteran
lol
  • 4ML
  • Veteran
IMO banning them for life is too harsh. Give them a ban of 5 test matches and 5 one day internationals and obviously they'll never be allowed to officially hold any leadership role within the team.

Ball tampering is nothing new. Yes, the premeditated intent makes it look really bad but asking for lifetime ban is too much.

This is not the same as match fixing.
  • Goatie
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 4ML:
IMO banning them for life is too harsh. Give them a ban of 5 test matches and 5 one day internationals and obviously they'll never be allowed to officially hold any leadership role within the team.

Ball tampering is nothing new. Yes, the premeditated intent makes it look really bad but asking for lifetime ban is too much.

This is not the same as match fixing.

The big problem is Australia has to re-establish its credibility. Our cricket team has always been known for its integrity and this is the first big wack for us internationally with cheating. The only thing that comes near it was when Chapel ordered his younger brother to bowl under arm to beat the Kiwis. Though that was underhanded in regard to the spirit of the game it was within the rules.

What happened here is outright cheating.

You are right a life ban is too much but two years would be more appropriate given it is the first time caught. Like drug cheats in the Olympics - 2 year minimum for cheating, no questions asked.
If the end of the world were coming tomorrow and a ball tampering was exposed on the same day, which one would get the headline?
  • 4ML
  • Veteran
Steve Smith's press conf. was tough to watch. He seemed genuinely embarrassed and sad.

I think a 1 year ban was harsh but as Goatie said above - the punishment needed to be harsh. If one is to believe that Smith got a fair punishment then I think Bancroft got fair suspension (as he was just a soldier) but IMO Warner was the real instigator and should have received longer suspension than Smith.

Don't care for Warner but I hope we will see Smith on the pitch of International cricket again.
Over
Originally posted by Dr_Bill_Walsh:
Over

It could be for England's Ashes hopes after tonight.

lol

Ben Stokes

lol

Ben Stokes

Adds yet another epic piece of Ashes history to the record books. At one point he had just 7 runs from 80 balls. Truly a mighty effort to finish with an undefeated 135 after 5 and a half hours batting to keep England alive in the series.
Adds yet another epic piece of Ashes history to the record books. At one point he had just 7 runs from 80 balls. Truly a mighty effort to finish with an undefeated 135 after 5 and a half hours batting to keep England alive in the series.

I can't believe we let that slip through our fingers. Full credit to Ben Stokes, he put us under pressure and we crumbled.

I think England take the series 3-1 from here. I think the psychological effects of this loss will haunt the Aussies for years to come.
Originally posted by LockyersLeftBoot:

I can't believe we let that slip through our fingers. Full credit to Ben Stokes, he put us under pressure and we crumbled.

I think England take the series 3-1 from here. I think the psychological effects of this loss will haunt the Aussies for years to come.

I can't even bring myself to watch the highlights from day 4. Likely to...
lol

Ben Stokes

Forget Stokes. What about Steve Smith?
His being selected at all was farcical.

Will he play in LPL ?? I wish he play.
Share 49ersWebzone