LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 348 users in the forums

Crikey it's the Cricket Thread

• FAS33
  • Veteran
Think of it as the International version of your Baseball game. Except without the pads....I mean gloves.
Not a lot going on in Cricket atm. but this... http://www.news.com.au/sport/cricket/cricketer-banned-for-life-after-crazy-fight-on-pitch-in-champion-of-champions-final/story-fndpt0dy-1227539115917 lol

The Australia v NZ series should be good this summer.
I live in India most of the year and started watching cricket some years back. The country goes bananas for the sport. The players are rock stars. The governing board is made up politicians that milk the game for every rupee. Pakistan cannot host games in their country because terrorists attacked the Sri Lanka squad some years back and injured several players. Pakistan is known for match fixing and numerous players have been suspended or banned from the sport. Until 4 or 5 years ago Australia was like the NY Yankees but have come back to earth. The game has been diluted to accommodate TV, a test match lasts 5 days, a one day International about 10 hours and finally 20 overs which takes less than 4 hours. The money in the sport is unreal.
Geez lets see now, cricket just aint cricket anymore when the 20/20 game started, test players have become more impatient especially batsmen slogging the ball at everything that comes their way, no longer the intricacies of feeling out the play and the bowler, just wait a couple of bowls then bash, wait a couple of bowls bash again.
I believe to fix this problem is to seperate players from each of the games.
For example....permanent players in each game, test players for test, one dayers and 20/20 can alternate. Test players can be allowed to play one dayers but not 20/20.
If a test player wishes to play 50overs and 20/20 permanently then he must relinquish his test position and vice versa.

I believe then will test cricket be played like test is supposed to be played. Cheers
Yep, 20Twenty might be great for spectators but it's nothing more than a blight on the game for mine. I wouldn't care if it was never played again. The toughest form of the game, Test cricket, is suffering because of it and a gruelling, hard fought Test is a rarity these days. What we increasingly see now is touring sides being trounced inside 4 days. It's just not cricket.
Australian batsmen refuse to learn to play the swinging ball. Ten years. Same problem. They do nothing to fix it. Maybe an increase in Trans Tasman matches could give Aussie batsmen a bit more of a chance to add playing the swinging ball to their game.
  • dmack
  • Veteran
Bring back warney!! Bring back warney!!! Bring back larry gomes! Bring back viv richards! Bring back saachin tendulcha! Bring back justin slater! Bring back booney! Bring back martin crowe! Bring back richard hadlee! Bring them all back out of the nursery homes, out of the graveyards, out of retirement, lets play ball!!!
Originally posted by dmack:
Bring back warney!! Bring back warney!!! Bring back larry gomes! Bring back viv richards! Bring back saachin tendulcha! Bring back justin slater! Bring back booney! Bring back martin crowe! Bring back richard hadlee! Bring them all back out of the nursery homes, out of the graveyards, out of retirement, lets play ball!!!

Not quite sure what you are aiming at with your post. Warney might be a laughing stock but he could still bamboozle players of today.
  • dmack
  • Veteran
They were some of the greats in the ol' days way before 20/20 god I miss that era.
They were some of the greats in the ol' days way before 20/20 god I miss that era.

Agree mate. Top notch. See Steve Waugh's lad is making a name for himself.

Mitchell Starc tore up WA warriors today in the 50 over game. He's developed into a damn fine bowler.

Test match cricket was better back when these guys were playing, for mine. Worst thing ever was T20 and India ending up with the most clout in the world game.
I have a wicked googly.
Originally posted by ChipDouglas510:
I have a wicked googly.

You might want to check this out then...

Cricket All-Stars in America, November 2015

The three games will feature a literal who's who of recently retired HOF level players from around the world. Some of these guys are the best of all time, no joke. These are absolute dream teams when talking about all-star line-ups in world sport. If played in traditional Cricket playing nations, they'd sell out in minutes.
[ Edited by Zealot on Oct 17, 2015 at 9:40 PM ]
Went to India last year and, after (surprisingly) watching a Niner game, began watching Cricket and got hooked. India v Pakistan matches were heated. Hope Cricket catches on here in the states.
Share 49ersWebzone