LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 230 users in the forums

League versus Union. Seconds out. Ding Ding!

There is a definite need for this thread, to draw some of the off topic rantings starting to clog more serious corners of the forum, invariably by uncouth antipodean blow-ins. If you want to rant about, or fight over, competing codes do it here.

To kick it off, a nice piece that highlights the cultural divide, rather than the rules divide between the games:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/men/active/11840935/Why-rugby-league-is-obviously-better-than-rugby-union.html

My favourite excerpt:

My dad brought me up to support Wigan, to be hostile to St Helens, Leeds and Warrington and to have a deep suspicion and ingrained lack of respect for union, believing that 30 people was an absurd, unworkable amount for one pitch and that the code was essentially devised to occupy as many public school boys as possible on a wet Wednesday afternoon.
[ Edited by Geckko on Sep 3, 2015 at 7:14 AM ]
no
Originally posted by Geckko:
There is a definite need for this thread, to draw some of the off topic rantings starting to clog more serious corners of the forum, invariably by uncouth antipodean blow-ins. If you want to rant about, or fight over, competing codes do it here.

To kick it off, a nice piece that highlights the cultural divide, rather than the rules divide between the games:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/men/active/11840935/Why-rugby-league-is-obviously-better-than-rugby-union.html

My favourite excerpt:

My dad brought me up to support Wigan, to be hostile to St Helens, Leeds and Warrington and to have a deep suspicion and ingrained lack of respect for union, believing that 30 people was an absurd, unworkable amount for one pitch and that the code was essentially devised to occupy as many public school boys as possible on a wet Wednesday afternoon.

We've got a World Cup & that makes us legit!!!! (One with History that is.) (Rugby Union is at the Olympics too)

(The Passion, My God!!! GOOSEBUMPS!!!!!)

(The NFL knows it)

(Hollywood knows it)

(We have our own song....Adapted ) (Tina Turner was nice for RL in the late 80's early 90's )

(The most iconic Rugby team in both codes, ever!)

This thread is over "Flawless Victory." (I like League, but you made me choose bro! )
[ Edited by SportOvaFilmTV on Sep 3, 2015 at 12:36 PM ]
  • Tulip
  • Veteran
Haha, love it.
Originally posted by TheHYDE49er:
no
This is kind of a Rugby thread so I'll post this result here...

Just saw the box score {Rugby Union} Australia (Wallabies) 47 Def USA (Eagles) 10
In a World Cup warm up match. In Chicago at Soldier Field.

Next stop for both teams the 2015 RWC in England in 12 days time.

#Good Luck to both teams!
Once upon a time someone suggested that Football (soccer) is a gentleman's game played by thugs, while rugby is a thug's game played by gentlemen.
While that has a ring of truth to it, I have taken it upon myself to expand the analogy.

Soccer is a gentleman's game, played by thugs
Rugby (union) is a thug's game, played by gentlemen
League is a thug's game, played by thugs
NFL a TV producer's game, played by futuristic cyborgs
Ice hockey is two girls' sports (hockey and ice skating) combined to make a man's game
AFL is a giant game of kick-to-kick, played by tall thugs
Basketball is something to do when it is snowing outside, if you are too tall to comfortably sit in front of a fire
Cricket a gentleman's game, played by people who know about crumpets
Baseball is cricket for people, who prefer chewing tobacco to crumpets
Golf a pedestrian's game, played by men with no fashion sense
  • jrg
  • Veteran
lol what?
Lol eh drunken post.. nvm
[ Edited by growlzee on Sep 12, 2015 at 3:00 AM ]
  • evil
  • Veteran
Originally posted by jrg:
lol what?

RIP Jonah Tali Lomu, although you never quite got there to win a world cup in your time as a player but you did make huge splashes around the world on your individual brilliance.

The game they play in heaven,

SUCH IS LIFE....
[ Edited by suchislife on Nov 18, 2015 at 1:27 PM ]

League Rugby......

I wore #1 on my back.
[ Edited by 49erfeeeever808 on Nov 18, 2015 at 1:48 PM ]
Originally posted by SportOvaFilmTV:
Originally posted by Geckko:

My favourite excerpt:

We've got a World Cup & that makes us legit!!!! (One with History that is.) (Rugby Union is at the Olympics too)

(The Passion, My God!!! GOOSEBUMPS!!!!!)

(The NFL knows it)

(Hollywood knows it)

(We have our own song....Adapted ) (Tina Turner was nice for RL in the late 80's early 90's )

(The most iconic Rugby team in both codes, ever!)

This thread is over "Flawless Victory." (I like League, but you made me choose bro! )

You forgot to say its also the father to American football.

SUCH IS LIFE....
Share 49ersWebzone