• Veteran
Originally posted by TheHYDE49er:
Originally posted by 4ML:
Originally posted by NineFourNiner:
Meh. He's no Kobe.

This.

He's better.

...and still only 30.

Well, seeing how Kobe has more titles than him, records, points, etc., I wouldn't say that just yet. Is he going to go down as the greatest ever in 5-6 years from now? At this rate, most likely. But, if something drastic happens to him and he has to retire next year, I wouldn't even put him in the top 10. He still has a lot to prove, it's a slap in the face to all the former greats if you crown him the best ever at 30.

Don't think he's the best ever.
I think he's already top 10.
Mj was better.
Jordan is over rated. If it wasn't for his shoes, jordan wouldn't be regarded as the best player ever. Give me Oscar Robinson or wilt Chamberlin.
Originally posted by pdizo916:
Jordan is over rated. If it wasn't for his shoes, jordan wouldn't be regarded as the best player ever. Give me Oscar Robinson or wilt Chamberlin.

Originally posted by StOnEy333:

It's gotta be the shoes

Rightly or wrongly, I've always kinda seen Wilt the same way as Jim Brown, both were no-doubt HOF talents, but both played at a time before their respective sports had "evolved" and both were physical freaks who were bigger, stronger, faster than everyone else nearly every time they stepped on the court/field. Like I said, both HOF'ers, but if they had played 20 years later I don't think they would've had near the eye-popping numbers.

The Big O also an incredible, generational-type player.

But neither he nor Wilt were better than Jordan.

Wilt, you can make a case for. Oscar Robertson (not Robinson) wasn't even the second best player in his generation (Bill Russell) let alone one of the best of all time. Wilt should be in the conversation because he was by far the most dominant player of all time even though it was in a weak generation.

If you adjust for pace of play, Lebron is statistically a much better player than Oscar was and he's doing it against athletes that blow the competition Oscar and Wilt played against out of the water.

Per 36 minutes:
Points/Rebounds/Assists/FG%/FT% Championships MVP's
Lebron: 25.1 6.5 6.3 49.6% 74.5% 2 4
Oscar: 21.9 6.4 8.1 48.5% 83.8% 1 1
Wilt: 23.6 18.0 3.5 54.0% 51.1% 2 4

If you adjusted for pace, Lebron absolutely blows Oscar out of the water. Oscar and Wilt were the beneficiaries of way more possessions per game in addition to playing against much worse athletes. Wilt's stats dropped way off towards the end of his career, but he put up 37.4/19.0 in the season he averaged 50 points per game and he also would have averaged a ton of blocks if they tracked them back then.

Oscar is one of the 50 best players of all time, but definitely not better than Lebron even if Lebron retires today.
[ Edited by eastcoast49ersfan on May 25, 2015 at 4:13 PM ]

They're both great. This year in the playoffs I think Lebron has debunked the "needs help from a superstar" BS. Stop. Jordan and Kobe had other stars next to them also. Lebron is still writing his legacy. And this year's playoffs have improved it tremendously.

The shoes explain the 6 championships.
Originally posted by Rubberneck36:

The shoes explain the 6 championships.

Fool needed Pippen to help him. Whatever.
Originally posted by sacniner:
They're both great. This year in the playoffs I think Lebron has debunked the "needs help from a superstar" BS. Stop. Jordan and Kobe had other stars next to them also. Lebron is still writing his legacy. And this year's playoffs have improved it tremendously.

Let's wait until the part after the JV tournament before jumping to that conclusion.
Originally posted by LA9erFan:
Originally posted by sacniner:

Let's wait until the part after the JV tournament before jumping to that conclusion.

Lol now you are hating. He has been spectacular. Those east teams beat a lot of great teams across the league, and LeBron is dealing without love and Irving.
Share 49ersWebzone