LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 269 users in the forums

American Pharoah Triple Crown Winner?

In the past I've posted a Triple Crown Thread, this year I passed but as fate has it something has caught my attention. That something is American Pharoah, he's won the Derby and the Preakness and the Test Of Champions is up next in three weeks, the Belmont Stakes. He's trained by Bob Baffert. Since 1979 here's a list of horses that have won the first two legs of the Triple Crown but lost or were injured for the Belmont Stakes;

Spectacular Bid
Pleasant Colony
Silver Charm (trainer Bob Baffert)
Real Quiet (lost by a nose, Bob Baffert trained)
War Emblem (Bob Baffert again, stumbled at the start lost all chance)
Funny Cide
Smarty Jones
Big Brown
I'll Have Another
California Chrome

That's 10 if you're counting. Seems impossible, right? You're asking a 3 year old (a teenager in human terms) to win a race at a mile and half, five weeks after the Kentucky Derby. They will never race at this distance again unless they go to Europe. AP's sire is Pioneer of the Nile, the dam is Littleprincessemma. The Dam has Storm Cat in her pedigree, he was the top sire in America from 2002-2007. A live foal went for $500,000. a pop. So what do I like about this horse? My credentials are that I was a handicapper at Belmont Park in an earlier life (some would say I was more handicapped at picking horses than being a handicapper). I've studied all AP's races and the one thing that sticks out to me is that when he hits the stretch he runs as straight as an arrow, even under the whip.

Usually a horse bears in or out due to fatigue or immaturity. He can come from behind or go to the lead. There will be fresh horses running against him at the Belmont Stakes with pedigrees as good or better than AP's. I'll come out and say he's a Super Horse trained by someone who been to the Big Dance. It's time for a Triple Crown Winner, American Pharoah.
I want to see it happen, so I'm rooting for American Pharaoh to win it. Wish they spelled the name right though.
As a certified raciss, I'm agin' it. They took our jobs.
seems like every other year we're in this position and the horse finishes no better than 5th place or some s**t in the final leg
  • Garce
  • Veteran
Nop
My buddy that's hardcore into horse racing said the Kentucky Derby was the only one they didn't know if he could win. He says it's a lock for the triple crown now. It'd be cool to see.
He won Preakness on a super-muddy track with pouring rain by a healthy margin (about 7 lengths). So he dominates in shorter races but have to see about a longer race like Belmont. If weather is clear and dry that should make a more even racing field. Of course he can do it it's only a question of will he.
hope it happens just for the hype involved.

when is the belmont?
No doubt in my mind, that is one helluva horse
Zito will spoil triple crown bid again. Book it.

Frosted is fresh and will be heard from.
  • Jiks
Gonna go place some bets.
  • Jiks
Originally posted by JiksJuicy:

Good luck!
Originally posted by JiksJuicy:

What does all that mean?
Share 49ersWebzone