There are 205 users in the forums

Greatest UFC Fighter of All-Time

Greatest UFC Fighter of All-Time

Originally posted by 9erReign:
Chuck Liddell.

Can't give it to roidhead Silva, cmon guise.

I can see why you'd say Liddell, he was an icon of the sport and company of the UFC, helped it grow to what it is today, but based on his skill-set alone, he can't be considered the GOAT. Just my opinion though, to each his own.
[ Edited by 4everFaithful on Apr 12, 2015 at 12:16 PM ]
thing with jon jones is while he is great his book isnt completely written yet, we've only see the highs so far. if chuck didnt get KO'ed 14 times in a row at the end of his career, he'd probably be seen as #1. but he cant be because of how it ended.
[ Edited by crabman82 on Apr 8, 2015 at 1:39 PM ]
Originally posted by 4everFaithful:
cmon man

No doubt this failed drug test definitely hurts Silvas legacy. But did he ever fail an exam during the span he broke UFC records? How about Pride? No. Can't believe people like you would throw away Silva's whole legacy, every incredible KO, because one failed drug test at the age of 40 coming off the most devastating injury in MMA history.

it doesn't throw away his entire legacy. but you can't say it doesn't hurt either. when the debate comes up there's that little bit of doubt now....
Matt Hughes
Originally posted by Knowledge:
Originally posted by ChazBoner:
dare I say.............

Rousey?

dude i was thinking the same thing but she has to fight Cyborg first

Are you serious? Even if she beats Cyborg, which if she does would be sometime in the next year, you'd already consider her established enough to be considered the greatest ufc fighter of all-time??? She has to fight for at least 4-5 more years as the champion before we even throw her in the discussion with Silva, GSP, and Jones

shes dominated the competition unlike any other UFC fighter in history.
Originally posted by 9erReign:
Chuck Liddell.

Can't give it to roidhead Silva, cmon guise.

I can see why you'd say Liddell, he was an icon of the sport and company of the UFC, helped it grow to what it is today, but based on his skill-set alone, he can't be considered the GOAT. Just my opinion though, to each his own. I almost threw Liddell into the poll had to think about it.

i really disagree with this, just because you can make a strong case for chuck, especially if you wanna talk about GOAT relative to their era.

IMO the 3 with the strongest cases are GSP, Bones Jones, and Anderson Silva.

these's a big clusterf*ck behind them that have strong cases too, but have that "yeah but..." on their records - Chuck Liddell (yeah but he went to Japan and got KO'ed), Matt Hughes (yeah but he was never a good striker), BJ Penn (yeah but he was lazy), Fedor (yeah but he never fought in the UFC)
Originally posted by VaBeachNiner:
Matt Hughes

If it wasn't for GSP, he very well might be.

Originally posted by crabman82:
thing with jon jones is while he is great his book isnt completely written yet, we've only see the highs so far. if chuck didnt get KO'ed 14 times in a row at the end of his career, he'd probably be seen as #1. but he cant be because of how it ended.

The thing is, every fighter has their what ifs:

What if Hughes didn't lose to GSP?

What if Liddell retired earlier and avoided those KOs?

What if Silva didn't clown around and lose to Weidman? (which ultimately led to his failed drug test)

What if GSP didn't get KOd by Serra, or finished more of his fights?

Every fighter has their cons, which makes this whole discussion just a matter of opinion.
[ Edited by 4everFaithful on Apr 12, 2015 at 12:20 PM ]
dare I say.............

Rousey?

Are you serious? Even if she beats Cyborg, which if she does would be sometime in the next year, you'd already consider her established enough to be considered the greatest ufc fighter of all-time??? She has to fight for at least 4-5 more years as the champion before we even throw her in the discussion with Silva, GSP, and Jones

Against what competition?

Silva finished higher-level competition, in even more unbelievable fashion, for a much longer period of time.

Rousey is on her way to being in the discussion, but not yet.
Matt Hughes

What if Silva didn't clown around and lose to Weidman? (which ultimately led to his failed drug test)

The thing is, everyone fighter has their cons, which makes this whole discussion just a matter of opinion.

yeah i have a post on the 1st or 2nd page of this thread that says thats why this sport is so great. there is no right answer. every GOAT candidate has their negatives that detractors can use to say why they arent the best. jones- story not complete....gsp- not enough finishes....silva- ped usage.
dare I say.............

Rousey?

yes, but she needs to establish long term also.

Matt Hughes

The thing is, everyone fighter has their cons, which makes this whole discussion just a matter of opinion.

yeah i have a post on the 1st or 2nd page of this thread that says thats why this sport is so great. there is no right answer. every GOAT candidate has their negatives that detractors can use to say why they arent the best. jones- story not complete....gsp- not enough finishes....silva- ped usage.

True, that is why everyone is entitled to their own opinion, and I respect each.

What fighters would you have in your poll for the GOAT?
I'm surprised no one mentioned Randy Couture. Not my personal favorite, but an argument could definitely be made for him. And BJ Penn.
True, that is why everyone is entitled to their own opinion, and I respect each.

What fighters would you have in your poll for the GOAT?

the guys u have up there, plus guys like tito, chuck, couture. honorable mentions to guys like shamrock, hendo, fedor etc. theres about 10 or 12 guys you could make a case for.
I'm surprised no one mentioned Randy Couture. Not my personal favorite, but an argument could definitely be made for him. And BJ Penn.

with Randy you got a very strong case.... but the head to head trilogy with chuck kinda knocks him out.....

with BJ.... it's the common story that everyone following the UFC knows, if he stayed focused on steamrolling the UFC after his 1st matt hughes fight instead of fighting in japan and other organizations he very well could be. he's arguably more gifted/talented pound for pound than jon jones. the special/documentary that the UFC did on him early last year is great and on point. it's on youtube if anyone wants to watch it.
cmon man

No doubt this failed drug test definitely hurts Silvas legacy. But did he ever fail an exam during the span he broke UFC records? How about Pride? No. Can't believe people like you would throw away Silva's whole legacy, every incredible KO, because one failed drug test at the age of 40 coming off the most devastating injury in MMA history.

He has 2 failed tests.
Share 49ersWebzone