LISTEN: 49ers Offseason Musings With Legendary Columnist Mike Silver →

There are 147 users in the forums

The San Francisco Giants Thread

• Hopper
  • Veteran
Vogey may start tomorrow. Peavy is being pushed back.
Thinking this will be a rough season overall in the field (72-74 wins max), but I'm not worried about it. I see this as a re-loading year, getting rid of $50M worth of salary from guys that frankly don't provide commensurate value (Timmy, Huddy, Affeldt, Vogey, Arias, Aoki, etc.) as well as giving a handful of youngsters the opportunity to step up and make contributions by end of year, setting them up for potential roster spots in 2016.

Specifically looking at guys like Susac, Kyle Crick (RHP), Mac Williamson (OF), Steven Okert (LHP), Ray Black (RHP), Tyler Horan (OF), Adalberto Mejia (LHP), and maybe even Jarrett Parker (OF) to take the next step and show what they can do in September. These are the things I'm looking forward to in 2015.
Originally posted by Hopper:
Vogey may start tomorrow. Peavy is being pushed back.

hopefully he plays well
  • boast
  • Hella Fame
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
Thinking this will be a rough season overall in the field (72-74 wins max), but I'm not worried about it. I see this as a re-loading year, getting rid of $50M worth of salary from guys that frankly don't provide commensurate value (Timmy, Huddy, Affeldt, Vogey, Arias, Aoki, etc.) as well as giving a handful of youngsters the opportunity to step up and make contributions by end of year, setting them up for potential roster spots in 2016.

Specifically looking at guys like Susac, Kyle Crick (RHP), Mac Williamson (OF), Steven Okert (LHP), Ray Black (RHP), Tyler Horan (OF), Adalberto Mejia (LHP), and maybe even Jarrett Parker (OF) to take the next step and show what they can do in September. These are the things I'm looking forward to in 2015.

whoa! you don't want Affeldt anymore? i can't get jiggy with that, Ghost.
Originally posted by boast:

Last year of his deal...time for him to move on and let Okert take his spot. He's been clutch in the big moments for us, so you can't take that away from him, but he'll be 36 in a few months and it's time to turn the page.

Last year of his deal...time for him to move on and let Okert take his spot. He's been clutch in the big moments for us, so you can't take that away from him, but he'll be 36 in a few months and it's time to turn the page.

Agreed. Okert is the future lefty in the pen. Unless Affeldt is simply amazing this year or willing to play for a lot less its probably better to let him move on.
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:

Agreed. Okert is the future lefty in the pen. Unless Affeldt is simply amazing this year or willing to play for a lot less its probably better to let him move on.

Yep, our bullpen is way overpaid as-is (I think like in the $20-$25 mil range).
  • Garce
  • Veteran
Originally posted by itlynstalyn:

Bruh

Do you even Core-4?
Originally posted by Garcia:

Bruh

Do you even Core-4?

Yeah, they're making $23 million alone this year which is my point: they're overpaid.

Bruh

Do you even Core-4?

Yeah, they're making $23 million alone this year which is my point: they're overpaid.

$23 million and three rings later. I'll take it.
Originally posted by VaBeachNiner:

Bruh

Do you even Core-4?

$23 million and three rings later. I'll take it.

Definitely a great investment that paid off, but like any great investment holding on to it TOO long could bite you in the ass. Once you squeeze the maximum value you from it, you get rid of it and let some other sucker over pay for it. As the proverbial song goes, "You got to know when to hold 'em, know when to fold 'em"....etc., etc., etc.
[ Edited by GhostofFredDean74 on Apr 6, 2015 at 12:34 PM ]
I was curious about Tommy Joseph so I looked him up, he was the main prospect in the Pence trade, looks like the injury bug has hit him ever since he went to Philly, I was certain he'd be in the bigs by now

http://articles.philly.com/2015-03-09/sports/59898160_1_tommy-joseph-phillies-organization-spring-training
Share 49ersWebzone