LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 229 users in the forums

Who is the best NBA coach of all time?

This argument always came down to two coaches, Red and Phil, but to me Pop has done the most with the least.

What do you guys think?
Agreed
Popovich.
  • Garce
  • Veteran
Dean Smith
george karl
  • SoCold
  • Hall of Dumb
Charles Jerome Daly
Keith Smart.
  • jrg
  • Veteran
Jacque Vaughn
Originally posted by jrg:
Jacque Vaughn

Lol-i didn't say worst
I think Pop said it best when he said it was all about the players that he had. Red had Bill Russell, John Havlichek, and other greats. Phil had the greatest player ever and 3 other Hall of Famers in their primes, and Pop had the best big man of this era.

Having said that I would put Popovich at the top.

Kurt Thomas
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
I think Pop said it best when he said it was all about the players that he had. Red had Bill Russell, John Havlichek, and other greats. Phil had the greatest player ever and 3 other Hall of Famers in their primes, and Pop had the best big man of this era.

The system that pop runs would work with almost any team. You see how hard the triangle is to learn, look at the Knicks.
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:

The thing that puts Popovich at the top for me is how pliable he is. If you watch the Spurs from the late 90's to mid-00's, they were a completely different team. I can't think of another coach who had won multiple titles that totally revamped what he did, so he could win more. That's the very definition of a great coach. A guy who can understand what he has, can understand the overall environment of the league, and can adapt/improve on what other coaches are doing. Sure, you don't win without talent, but Duncan hasn't been the best big in the game for 5-6 years, and they've still been a perennial playoff team and NBA champion.
pop is #1
sloan up there too
Pop is the best

Phil is 2nd

Jerry Sloan is most underrated
Share 49ersWebzone