LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 272 users in the forums

***Official San Jose Sharks 2017-18 Season Thread ***

Originally posted by Hopper:
OTC do you think Mueller will make the team?

Good question. Sharks re-assigned 8 more players today -- Mueller was NOT one of them -- so his chances got a little better. The ones who didn't make it were the two goalies (obvious), and the following: Tennyson, DeMelo, Hamilton, Tarasov, Oleksuk, and Karlsson.

That leaves the remaining players battling for 2 or 3 spots on the final roster:
McGinn
Goodrow
Goldobin
Tierney
Hayes
Mueller
Doherty
Fedun
Bergman

Between the offensive guys, I have no idea who they will keep, but would ecstatic for any of them. On offense, if we want bottom line scoring, we should go with Tierney or Goldobin. On defense, the most balanced players are Fedun and Mueller. I do not think we will know who makes the team until we see their pre-season performances against LA tomorrow. If Mueller plays well in that game, I think he makes the team.
so pumped for the season!
Originally posted by Frisco69ers:
so pumped for the season!

Makes two of us! Especially with football season not being as entertaining this year. I will watch the Niners, but the other games are questionable because of the flag fest.
Fedun and Hertl with assists on the first goal by Thornton. 1-1 after first period.
will be watching games earlier in season as my heart cant take another round of sharks playoffs
On the stat sheet, seeing a plethora of "giveaways" from Goldobin. Not going to help his chances with that kind of thing. The Sharks have struggled so much managing the puck over the years it's ridiculous. If you take a look at the puck management today in this pre-season game.. this is what we're looking at:

Kings giveaways in total as a team: 9

Logan Couture: 6
Nikolay Goldobin: 3

(Sharks have 16 giveaways in total so far tonight)
[ Edited by OnTheClock on Sep 30, 2014 at 9:50 PM ]
Team doing a LOT better protecting the puck this pre-season game. Only ONE player with a giveway. Young guys making decision tough. Goodrow, Tierney, Mueller, and Hayes doing some good things.

- Hayes brings grit and energy to the 4th line and can hit. However, if they have Scott playing, I'm not sure how Hayes fits. Probably starts the year in Worcester.

- Goodrow wins puck battles and seems to be doing good defensively. Him playing and Goldobin not speaks volumes. Goldobin gave the puck away too much last game. Goodrow didn't. Sharks announcers on the radio saying they don't believe the Sharks can send him down, he's been just way too good. Apparently had a hit on a major Coyotes player tonight that "knocked him into next week." Loving what I hear.

- Tierney can take faceoffs, but he obviously needs work to get up where he's doing it at the NHL level. He probably starts the year in Worcester too. He has terrific ice presence and is a great passer. He's very close to making it, but not quite there.

- Mueller will make some rookie mistakes, but his potential is very high. They have been pairing him with Burns. Seems like they consider him a top 4 guy already.

Conclusion: I think if we keep three of the young guys, we keep Mueller, Goodrow, and McGinn.
[ Edited by OnTheClock on Oct 3, 2014 at 9:35 PM ]
Fedun to Worcester. Opening night is Wednesday. We should know who the rest of the "cuts" are soon. If we keep 8 defensemen, then Mueller and Doherty both made the team.

With 30 remaining, and Kennedy and Torres both going on IR, that's 28. 5 cuts left between the following players:

Doherty
Mueller
Goldobin
Goodrow
Tierney
Hayes
McGinn

Vets: Brown, Burish
So who is our captain?
Originally posted by ninerfan4life:
So who is our captain?

Looks like we won't know until tomorrow. We don't even know who is on the final roster yet. We still have to move 3 more players. The guys I'd say competing for the last spots on the roster would be:

Goodrow
McGinn
Hayes
Tierney
Brown
Burish
Scott

Some of those vets I honestly don't see how they've done enough or bring enough to stay on the roster. I doubt they let Scott go since he's on a cheap deal and is supposed to be that "protector" they feel we need. Burish takes a lot of penalties, has had injury problems, has a higher cap figure, and is wildly inconsistent. He's good on the PK, but could they really not replace him there with all the other talent?

Most logical call, based on what it seems they want to do? Keep Goodrow, McGinn, Brown, and Scott. Assign Tierney and Hayes to Worcester, trade or release Burish. There you go, down to 23.

First time in a long time I don't have high hopes going into the season

Same. Maybe it's a good thing though, and they surprise us.
Originally posted by blunt_probe:

Same. Maybe it's a good thing though, and they surprise us.

I hope so
Tommy Wingels with the 1st goal of the year
Beautiful 2nd goal by Wingels
Share 49ersWebzone