There are 153 users in the forums

Most heart breaking moments in Sports History

^^ Didn't need to see that . .
Ive had my fair share of sports heartbreak.

1997-98 NFC champ game
1997 NBA Finals
1998 NBA Finals
2002 World Series games 6 and 7
2003 NLDS
2004 game 161 in LA (Finley grand slam)
2004 NCAA champ loss to Syracuse
2011-12 NFC champ game
2012-13 Super Bowl
2013-14 NFC champ game
2014 Sharks blowing 3-0 series lead (Or just every Sharks playoff series would work)
Originally posted by Niners99:

2003 NLDS
2004 game 161 in LA (Finley grand slam)

These two definitely hurt. Coming off the world series loss, I thought the team was actually better in 2003 (led wire to wire and won the NL West by 15 games)

Both seasons ending in heartbreak. The team spiraled out and didn't seriously compete again until 2009.

Also agreed with the Sharks. 2004, 2006-14 all ended with a bitter feeling. But 2006-2009 stand out the most to me, because I felt like they lost despite being the better team in those years. (4OT loss to Dallas )

I'll also add in the 2002 Fiesta Bowl, Miami's loss to Ohio St.
Originally posted by crabman82:
Originally posted by Knowledge:
#1 for me is Joe Carters home run off Mitch Williams in the 93 world series

#2 Super Bowl loss to Ravens

#3 Seahawks loss last year

strange cus thats one of my top 3 all time fav sports moments. in addition to montana to taylor and donovan bailey breaking the world record in atlanta.

i cried myself to sleep that night. I was 10 at the time. I still remember the reaction in my dads house from him and his friends
  • titan
  • Veteran
For me
1 Niners lost to Ravens
2 Manny getting KO
3 Lakers losing to Celtics(Doc Rivers team)
4 Niners losing to Seahawks... This could easily be #1 Since they won the SB
5 The best tag team in the world Hulk and MachoMan, MEGAPOWERS break up!
  • MuggD
  • Veteran
f**k You whoever showed Bowman's leg being bent. I will not scroll back to see who did that but f**k you. Possible ban worthy imo.
Originally posted by titan:
For me
1 Niners lost to Ravens
2 Manny getting KO

the loss to Seattle hurt more for me, mostly b/c we were actually in that game the whole time. Unlike the Super Bowl
Only reason I remember is because my pops freaked the fuvk out.

1.Dave Dravecky arm break

2.Kyle Williams bowl.

3.02' World Series. A couple of outs away and we let our first Ws slip away bigtime. Thought it was the last ws attempt I'd see with my dad.

The Ravens loss seemed like a screwjob. The Ray Lewis love,blatant fuvking holding. More anger than sadness there denying Kaep a Joe Montana comeback as well as keeping our Super Bowl undefeated record intact.

Anger I say

Anger.
Originally posted by BobS:
That was it for me also. I expected that era's team to win every play-off game they played in, so all the loses hurt bad especially missing out on a chance to 3 peat. Our last 3 seasons ended rough, but with our current offense being less than stellar I don't have the high expectations I did of the teams led by Montana and Young, so the loses don't seem to sting as bad now as they did in the glory days.

my sentiments exactly, yeah it has been weird the last few years with the Niners being contenders but still so weak in one area. These days once I am through being critical of the Niners I simply need to remind myself of how ALL teams having glaring weaknesses now then their chances don't appear so bleak, and voila you got 3 straight championship appearances. Being a fan in each era, I can confidently say NFL parity is not a good thing. Each season produces about half a dozen teams who have nearly the same chance of winning it all, and each for different reasons.

With that in mind....
1. The Fumble (We would have been the only team to ever win a NFL 3 peat, and that accomplishment could have held for eons)
2. All 90's losses to Packers
3. The rest of the playoff losses in the 80's and 90's
4. Getting swept in the Earthquake series
5. Game 6 WS against the Angels
6. Game 7 WS against the Angels
7. NFCCG against the Seahawks their fans and the zebras
8. NFCCG against the Giants(I don't blame Kyle Williams because he should have been benched by that point, and the inept offense once again sucked all day)
9. SB loss against the Ravens(its criminal not giving Gore the ball once there, and the crime would be repeated the next year)
10. Pacquiao getting KO'd by Marquez/Tyson getting KO'd by Robin Givens
Originally posted by sacniner:
Roger Craig's fumble
/thread

I don't see how this is more heart breaking than losing the damn Super Bowl.

Craig's fumble gave away a chance to GET TO the Super Bowl. Against the Ravens, we were already there.
[ Edited by Empire49 on Jul 14, 2014 at 10:59 PM ]

Originally posted by Empire49:
Roger Craig's fumble
/thread

losing a super bowl sucks. losing a playoff game when you're 1 game away from the super bowl and have a good chance to be the only team to 3 peat is worse.
Originally posted by crabman82:
Roger Craig's fumble
/thread

losing a super bowl sucks. losing a playoff game when you're 1 game away from the super bowl and have a good chance to be the only team to 3 peat is worse.

No, it isn't.

Not when you WERE the only team in the NFL to have gone to the Super Bowl more than once and never lost it.

We do not lose Super Bowls! And we effin lost. A NFCCG loss does not compare. Not to me, anyway.
[ Edited by Empire49 on Jul 14, 2014 at 11:02 PM ]
No, it isn't.

Not when you WERE the only team in the NFL to have gone to the Super Bowl more than once and never lost it.

We do not lose Super Bowls! And we effin lost. A NFCCG loss does not compare. Not to me, anyway.

to each their own. but for my money that core was playing their 5th playoff game together and doing it with its 2nd qb in that time frame. 1990 team had guys going for their 5th title. that undefeated stuff for me is a bit overrated anyways as eventually if you make it enough you're going to lose as tom brady has shown us. i think a lot of it comes down to age, if you didnt see the 49ers win any super bowls i'm sure that loss to the ravens stings quite bad as that was your chance to feel what its like to win.
Originally posted by jrg:

Was 8 years old in 1994, so this one was extremely important to me.

This is right up there. Until that moment, I believed winning Super Bowls was our birthright. When I saw the pictures of our logo on the field at the Superdome, it was as if everything was right with the world again. I viewed the Ravens as an old team running off of inspiration, which I thought at the time only carried you so far. We seemed to be superior in so many ways and they busted my bubble from the word go .
Originally posted by titan:
For me
1 Niners lost to Ravens
2 Manny getting KO

You too huh?

I already posted us losing the Super Bowl.

I would also say Game 7, Eastern Conference Semi-finals. The Heat have a chance to win and finally move past the Knicks. They get the ball to Jamal Mashburn who has a chance to finally do something for once in his whole miserable existence as a player for the Heat and he passes the ball the Clarence Weatherspoon . He heaves up a god-awful prayer of a shot that had no chance of making it. Three straight playoff losses to the New York Knicks and the one series we did win, in the eyes of the public, was gifted to us.

The playoff loss the the Atlanta Falcons in 1998. I felt we would've given Denver a run for their money in the Super Bowl. Minnesota would've found a way to lose if we did play them, so I thought that 1998 season would've finally been it. I didn't realize at the time, but it was the end of an era.

The Sacramento Kings losing that 2002 playoff series to the Lakers.

The Miami Hurricanes having the 2002 National Championship robbed from them.

Honestly, anytime Miami lost, especially while I was in college, was pretty heart breaking lol. It just didn't happen.
Share 49ersWebzone