There are 220 users in the forums

2013-2014 NBA FINALS Thread

So, back to the Spurs/Heat matchup. It doesn't concern Heat fans or people who want Heat to win that they had home court advantage and SA played VERY strong in 3 of 4 games in MIA.

G1 @ MIA: won by 4
G2 @ MIA: lost by 19
G3 in SA: won by 36
G4 in SA: lost by 16
G5 in SA: won by 10
G6 @ MIA: lost by 3 OT
G7 @ MIA: lost by 7 (game was close until the final 3 or so minutes)

This during a format that heavily favored the team with the best record. MIA is very fortunate that format is changed this year to the 2-2-1-1-1.

Also note that SA is a stronger team this year than last.

I would like to get either LA's or another NBA buff's matchup analysis of the first 9 players on each team. I haven't kept up with the regular season this year or the players on other teams. Who will guard Diaw and who will he most likely guard? What will be Splitter's matchup? Can someone give a full breakdown?

Speaking of Diaw, man, I hope he stays aggressive in the MIA series as he was in the OKC series.
[ Edited by Joecool on Jun 2, 2014 at 3:34 PM ]
  • 4ML
  • Veteran
James said he wasn't bothered by the comments and called the entire Spurs organization "professional," but he certainly understood the message being sent.

"They don't like us, they don't. I can sense it from Timmy's comments over the last couple of days," James said after the Heat held an extended practice on Monday. "They wanted this, they wanted us and we'll be ready for the challenge."

"Once you get on the floor, you've got to play. We're confident. We're not shying away from them. We want them, too,"

"They've been preparing for this moment, we have as well," James said. "No one is entitled. This is no one's championship. It isn't ours, it isn't theirs, it's two teams fighting for it."

• 4ML
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Joecool:
So, back to the Spurs/Heat matchup. It doesn't concern Heat fans or people who want Heat to win that they had home court advantage and SA played VERY strong in 3 of 4 games in MIA.

This during a format that heavily favored the team with the best record. MIA is very fortunate that format is changed this year to the 2-2-1-1-1.

Not concerned about last year. This is a different year.

You're right - Spurs are a better team than last year...but IMO so is Miami. I think Miami had the best or 2nd best offensive efficiency in the history of the game during the regular season with Wade missing 1/3rd of the season.

Wade is healthier and he is a much better mid-range shooter. Bosh is a better shooter from distance...and Lebron is a better player in the paint than ever before. Miami got more rest this post-season...and is peaking at the right time. So yea...I'm not concerned about Spurs losing close games in Miami last year. Miami won the games they had to.

It will once again will be a close series. Miami has shown all post-season that they take it to another level in the 4th quarter. If they can do it again in 2014 like they did in 2013 against the Spurs - they'll likely win the 3 straight title.
Originally posted by 4ML:

Not concerned about last year. This is a different year.

You're right - Spurs are a better team than last year...but IMO so is Miami. I think Miami had the best or 2nd best offensive efficiency in the history of the game during the regular season with Wade missing 1/3rd of the season.

Wade is healthier and he is a much better mid-range shooter. Bosh is a better shooter from distance...and Lebron is a better player in the paint than ever before. Miami got more rest this post-season...and is peaking at the right time. So yea...I'm not concerned about Spurs losing close games in Miami last year. Miami won the games they had to.

It will once again will be a close series. Miami has shown all post-season that they take it to another level in the 4th quarter. If they can do it again in 2014 like they did in 2013 against the Spurs - they'll likely win the 3 straight title.

I don't know if a healthy Wade will make much of a difference. Miami was terrible and didn't play well at all last year when both Wade and James were in the game.

Also, I think Miller was far more scrappy than Lewis. Miller was smart and helped more in other areas than Lewis does.

Can you or LA give a starter and bench matchup prediction? Would be an interesting read.
I don't know if a healthy Wade will make much of a difference. Miami was terrible and didn't play well at all last year when both Wade and James were in the game.

Also, I think Miller was far more scrappy than Lewis. Miller was smart and helped more in other areas than Lewis does.

Can you or LA give a starter and bench matchup prediction? Would be an interesting read.
A healthy Wade makes a great difference. It was Wade that got MIA the critical game 4 win last year in SAS and again in game 7 Wade greatly aided LeBron in that win. He felt good those games and he should feel good all these games. And Miller was never the scorer that Lewis was in his prime if I recall correctly. I'm on mobile so I don't have stats but the Lewis from SEA and ORL days was crucial. With LeBron we see glimpses now
[ Edited by Pillbusta on Jun 2, 2014 at 7:03 PM ]
  • 4ML
  • Veteran

Wade makes a HUGE difference. He can take away some of the offensive responsibilities off Lebron's shoulder. He is also a good defender himself. Last year - he couldn't defend anyone. He couldn't close out on Danny Green. This year he actually defended PG most of the series. Wade can also guard Kawhi and Lebron can take on Parker during key stretches. When Lebron switched on Parker last year - Kawhi was killing Miami.

Rashard Lewis is no scrub from 3pt range. Mike Miller is a better shooter but had tough time staying on the court. Rashard Lewis can avg 30 mpg.

As far as match-up prediction...Pete is the man for that. Pop and Spols are always lookin' to change line-ups and exploit match-ups so it's tough to predict - but, for fun I'll give an opinion and prediction on match-ups based on my limited knowledge about the game.

C: Duncan vs. Bosh:
Edge goes to Spurs, obviously. He is every bit as good as last year, if not better. Bosh avg. 11ppg last year. lol

Bosh didn't hit a single 3pter last year. That's not happening this year. He's hitting over 34% from distance this year (only 28% last year) and even better in the playoffs. This still hugely favors SAS. But, if Duncan has to hesitate to cheat off Bosh - it changes everything defensively for SAS. If Bosh is hitting open shots (and he'll get plenty) - Miami will be very tough to beat. Bosh is the KEY for Miami.

C (backups): Splitter vs. Andersen
Splitter is a better player but Anderson does more for Miami than Splitter does for Spurs. I'll call it even or slight edge for Miami. Miami thrives on his energy

PF: Don't know who will start for either team. SAS gets the edge - Diaw is the best player for either team. Miami must get some contribution from Lewis/Battier. Lebron and Kawhi may play at PF for stretches once again...when teams go small.

SF: Lebron vs. Kawhi
Kawhi is an excellent defender and I really like him - but Lebron is the best player in the game and a different animal than Durant. Obvious edge to Miami. Kawhi can make things tough for Lebron and Pop will once again put his jumper to test. There will be stretches when Lebron can't buy a jumper.

Last year, Lebron had logged 660 minutes in the EC playoffs - and got beat up by Bulls and Pacers. He got 2 days of rest before the Finals. This year, he has played 570 minutes and didn't have to endure that kind of physical defense. He also is gettin' 5 days of rest. He also didn't have to defend best player all the time. That is a big difference...and you know why Miami was able to keep Lebron's minutes down from last year? Healthy D-Wade.

I fully expect Lebron to shoot better than 45% this time around. Lebron has improved in every aspect and is more aggressive than ever before. Kawhi will have his moments in this series, no doubt...but IMO Lebron will have a HUGE series.

These fools will play 42-44 mpg...so I'm not gonna worry about back-ups.

SG: Wade/Ray Allen vs. Danny Green/Ginobili
Toss-up barring an injury to Wade. Wade has become one of the best mid-range shooters this year and last year he didn't have the legs to close on Green. Green will still hit bunch of 3s but Wade is going to make him work on D and play much better defense on him and Kawhi.

Manu is playing better than last year. He's the X-Factor for Spurs as always. He can take this match-up away from Miami. Ray Allen is average for 3 quarters but as good as always in the 4th. If Spurs are outplaying Miami at SG - then they have a great chance of winning this year.

PG: Tony Parker/Mills vs. Chalmers/Cole
Obvious edge to SAS. Chalmers can't stop Parker. I think Cole is a better defender against pick&roll but Parker is too good. Cole can make him work harder and that's something but Lebron will have to defend him if Miami wants to slow him down. Mills is very under-rated...Miami better be aware of him or he'll do what Green did to them last year.

Both teams are pretty even. Spurs should be favorites to win the title (especially with home-court) and it won't surprise me one bit if they pull it off. Every member of the Spurs plays smart basketball and that makes them very difficult to beat.

Miami has the best player in the game...and a healthy D-Wade. That'll be tough to beat 4 times in a series.

This is why this series is going to be great - once again.
Thanks!
I know James and Wade will pretty much play the entire game every game. That's the biggest hurdle for SA as their bench kicks in when the opponent's star players sit. So then where can SA bench gain an advantage? I would think it would be when Allen and Bosh sit. This is where it will be key for SA not to let either James or Wade take over when the other rests.

The key for SA winning: tempo. Heat are not accustomed to play an up and down game. They have the talent to do so, but I don't think they are conditioned to do it only because that's not how they have played the past month due to Eastern Conference type of play.

I'm just hoping they can make it so James and Wade are gassed come fourth quarter as was Durant and Westbrook. Rest between games helps recovery but it doesn't help with conditioning. The only way I can see the Spurs win is if they keep a fast pace...well...unless Timmy pulls out 2003 and begins to own the post again.
[ Edited by Joecool on Jun 3, 2014 at 7:58 AM ]

• susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
lets go spurs
Originally posted by valrod33:

Who's Her Airness? She looks familiar but I can't figure out where I've seen her before.
[ Edited by NinerFanMT on Jun 3, 2014 at 12:03 PM ]
Originally posted by NinerFanMT:
Who's Her Airness? She looks familiar but I can't figure out where I've seen her before.

Michelle Beadle
Originally posted by LA9erFan:

Michelle Beadle

Oh ok! She's on SportsNation right?

Thank ya sir!
I can't do a full breakdown, JoeCool, but I think the story of the series will be this.

Assists by Team, Rank

Charlotte: 16th (1st Round)
Brooklyn: 25th (2nd Round)
Indiana: 27th (ECF)
San Antonio: 1st (Finals)

Team assists are pretty indicative of ball movement. (rather than individual assists, which indicate ball dominance) Miami hasn't played anyone that's prepared them for this Spurs team. Atlanta (2nd, led by former Spur assistant Budenholzer) or Washington (8th IIRC) would have been a much better tuneup for them, but the brackets didn't work out that way.

I think the Spurs have a decent shot of winning this in 5. I only hesitate because Miami is the champ and know how to grind through less than ideal circumstances. I'll be very impressed if they pull this one out.
Oh ok! She's on SportsNation right?

Thank ya sir!

Ya, that's the girl.
Share 49ersWebzone