There are 179 users in the forums

Take MJ out of the 90's, which star (of Today's game) fits best?

This guy asks the question "Take MJ out of the 90's, which star (of Today's game) fits best?" then goes on to state '90's was a watered down era. goes on trying to proof such with stats and etc. furthermore suggests with his posting of the video that MJ was overrated....FACT indeed.

so lets answer the question. since '90's era was watered down and we took MJ(overrated) out then EVERY superstar from '00's onward fits best. name it and they would have lit it up.
  • 4ML
  • Veteran
Originally posted by joshuatree:
4ML,

James, Barcelona. Which other flavour of the months do you subscribe to?

Hmm...

Originally posted by 4ML:
Originally posted by joshuatree:
4ML,

James, Barcelona. Which other flavour of the months do you subscribe to?

Hmm...

Originally posted by TheSixthRing:
Dude, I've totally been waiting for another MJ/Kobe/LBJ debate! LET THE GAMES BEGIN!

Its amazing to think about, I can't believe no one has brought it up before
i think there are more good/great athletes now than there were in 80s/90s, but that can be said for every sport. football players are bigger / faster, same with basketball players, baseball players, etc...

guys like mcgee, griffin, d jordan, drummond, anthony davis, henson, the list goes on with how many athletic freaks we have in the nba now that they didn't have back then. most of these guys have barely any game, but if are just talking about pure athletes, this era wins hands down.15-20 years from now that era will have superior athletes as well.
Originally posted by TheG0RE49er:
i think there are more good/great athletes now than there were in 80s/90s, but that can be said for every sport. football players are bigger / faster, same with basketball players, baseball players, etc...

guys like mcgee, griffin, d jordan, drummond, anthony davis, henson, the list goes on with how many athletic freaks we have in the nba now that they didn't have back then. most of these guys have barely any game, but if are just talking about pure athletes, this era wins hands down.15-20 years from now that era will have superior athletes as well.

I'm glad you stated "most of these guys have barely any game". Your post is spot on. People ignore the mental side of the game that has taken a significant hit. Many of the current NBA players prospered on the court their entire life based on physical skills. IE they dribbled past or jumped over guys. But when put on a level playing field with other physically skilled guys, their fundamentals and mental strategies are low. This started in the late 90's - early 2000's when guys skipped college. 1-year is a good head start but there needs to be more.
  • 4ML
  • Veteran

The game is way more complex today than it was in previous eras. The teams are better at exploiting weaknesses of players than ever before due to advances in video technology and advanced metrics and smart players are playing better than ever before. Players can see what are the things they excel at and what are the things they don't do so well.

Like I mentioned earlier - NBA had to move the 3pt line inside because we didn't have a lot of quality shooters in the NBA in 90s. Today, ppl are talking about moving it further back. So, stats don't back up "guys barely have any game" argument. Ppl forget how pathetic most of the defenses were in the 90s. They bring up Detroit and NYK as if that was the norm. Defenses allowed way more points in 90s than they allow today.

Teams weren't even allowed to play zone defenses in 90s
The game is way more complex today than it was in previous eras. The teams are better at exploiting weaknesses of players than ever before due to advances in video technology and advanced metrics and smart players are playing better than ever before. Players can see what are the things they excel at and what are the things they don't do so well.

Like I mentioned earlier - NBA had to move the 3pt line inside because we didn't have a lot of quality shooters in the NBA in 90s. Today, ppl are talking about moving it further back. So, stats don't back up "guys barely have any game" argument. Ppl forget how pathetic most of the defenses were in the 90s. They bring up Detroit and NYK as if that was the norm. Defenses allowed way more points in 90s than they allow today.

i agree that the game is more complex today, because of the technology that you mention, that makes a lot of good sense (especially how they use it in baseball now).

when i said they barely have any game, im talking mostly about our athletic big men in our game today. i don't think i have to bring up stats to show that the big men in the 80s/90s had a much bigger impact on a team than they do now, and they were better players than most of our big men overall. you aren't born with post moves, and these kids that only stay 1 year in college and go to the nba rarely develop a good post game.

as far zone defense goes, how many teams do you actually see in zone defense for than 4-5 min a game? strong side defense being made a illegal and hand checking, makes it much easier for teams to score outside the paint now.

and if that is true (didn't do any research on it) that defenses allowed more points in the 90s than they do now, that's no surprise then. lack of post players and easy buckets around the paint will do that. since its techincally easier to make a shot from closer range than longer range.

it's a give and take in the end. i like todays game as well, but i miss good center/pf play.
[ Edited by TheG0RE49er on Apr 10, 2014 at 3:36 PM ]
  • 4ML
  • Veteran

i agree that the game is more complex today, because of the technology that you mention, that makes a lot of good sense (especially how they use it in baseball now).

when i said they barely have any game, im talking mostly about our athletic big men in our game today. i don't think i have to bring up stats to show that the big men in the 80s/90s had a much bigger impact on a team than they do now, and they were better players than most of our big men overall. you aren't born with post moves, and these kids that only stay 1 year in college and go to the nba rarely develop a good post game.

as far zone defense goes, how many teams do you actually see in zone defense for than 4-5 min a game? strong side defense being made a illegal and hand checking, makes it much easier for teams to score outside the paint now.

and if that is true (didn't do any research on it) that defenses allowed more points in the 90s than they do now, that's no surprise then. lack of post players and easy buckets around the paint will do that. since its techincally easier to make a shot from closer range than longer range.

it's a give and take in the end. i like todays game as well, but i miss good center/pf play.

No argument from my side on that. You are spot on about the Centers. The game has evolved...and Centers are asked to face the basket, pick-n-roll or pick-n-pop etc. The passing skills of an average big men in the game today is a lot better though. Ability to defend on the perimeter as well (before someone chimes in that Dennis Rodman is laughing at you...I'm not talkin' about couple of HOFers but in general terms). Jordan didn't go against the likes of Rodman for 82 games.

The trade-off...under-developed post game today...lack of moves down low. Those skills are absent from the game today. Guards have better post moves.

I just think 90s was weaker ONLY because of massive expansion of the league. That's all. It's only logical. I hate to quote this lunatic because I hardly ever agree with him on anything but even a broken clock is right twice a day:

"We could not have won 70 games playing against 1980's teams."
- Dennis Rodman
[ Edited by 4ML on Apr 10, 2014 at 4:59 PM ]
Greg ostertag

• 4ML
  • Veteran
Originally posted by marshniners24:
Greg Postertag

Fify

I'd have loved to watch Rik Smits and Ostertag go at each other

[ Edited by 4ML on Apr 10, 2014 at 5:21 PM ]
Greg Postertag

fify

My phone asked me if I wanted to change it to poster tag lol
  • 4ML
  • Veteran
Greg Postertag

fify

My phone asked me if I wanted to change it to poster tag lol

Lol auto correct works for once.

But - cellular devices were best in 90s
[ Edited by 4ML on Apr 10, 2014 at 5:26 PM ]
I am telling you that if healthy and in their primes, you give me Penny and MJ in my backcourt, Dominique Wilkins and Chuck at the forwards and Hakeem at C and I don't care what you give me today as your starting five I am going to win that best of 7 in 5 games tops!
  • 4ML
  • Veteran
Originally posted by TheSixthRing:

Share 49ersWebzone