LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 255 users in the forums

Take MJ out of the 90's, which star (of Today's game) fits best?

• 4ML
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Pillbusta:
Yes! If not for MJ he would have led the league in scoring at least a couple of years. He just played on an average team. And folk here see the short shorts and assume today's athleticism and skills are superior. I've posted the link with every 50 plus point game by MJ and in it you can clearly see his skill set. There are 37 games shown and I haven't seen any NBA athlete so explosive graceful commanding lethal and savvy as MJ. He brought something to the game in one player the game hadn't seen yet. The only player today doing that is LeBron. He is Magic with supreme athleticism and the ability to defend at least four positions consistently. He is the one that can say he is the evolution not Kobe. Kobe is a great player but he brought nothing new to the game aside from a slightly better 3 point shot over Jordan. Kobe blatantly cloned MJ and I find nothing wrong with that but folk here are trying to discredit MJ. The fifty point game chronology should speak for itself. MJ skills and athleticism would reign supreme today and he never shared top billing as the league's best player at any point of his career as a Bull and he shot fifty percent career at guard as a Bull. Dude was simply the best two guard ever if not player. Anyone watching the video unbiased should have no doubt where MJ stands. His speed power skill and stamina was unmatched and he didn't miss action to major injury but once in his career his sophomore year. His durability was elite and he was at 35 still the top dog of the game with no peer. Kobe and LeBron have shared that honor and prior to them Shaq and Tim Duncan. It was MJ during his time all the way even amongst a field of HOFers

Magic would have been that peer easily but had to leave due to an illness. Ppl forget that Magic was just 30 when he left. Penny too but he couldn't stay healthy.

And I'm hardly a Kobe fan but Kobe is probably just half step behind Jordan as the greatest 2-guard to play the game.
Originally posted by 4ML:
Yes! If not for MJ he would have led the league in scoring at least a couple of years. He just played on an average team. And folk here see the short shorts and assume today's athleticism and skills are superior. I've posted the link with every 50 plus point game by MJ and in it you can clearly see his skill set. There are 37 games shown and I haven't seen any NBA athlete so explosive graceful commanding lethal and savvy as MJ. He brought something to the game in one player the game hadn't seen yet. The only player today doing that is LeBron. He is Magic with supreme athleticism and the ability to defend at least four positions consistently. He is the one that can say he is the evolution not Kobe. Kobe is a great player but he brought nothing new to the game aside from a slightly better 3 point shot over Jordan. Kobe blatantly cloned MJ and I find nothing wrong with that but folk here are trying to discredit MJ. The fifty point game chronology should speak for itself. MJ skills and athleticism would reign supreme today and he never shared top billing as the league's best player at any point of his career as a Bull and he shot fifty percent career at guard as a Bull. Dude was simply the best two guard ever if not player. Anyone watching the video unbiased should have no doubt where MJ stands. His speed power skill and stamina was unmatched and he didn't miss action to major injury but once in his career his sophomore year. His durability was elite and he was at 35 still the top dog of the game with no peer. Kobe and LeBron have shared that honor and prior to them Shaq and Tim Duncan. It was MJ during his time all the way even amongst a field of HOFers

Magic would have been that peer easily but had to leave due to an illness. Ppl forget that Magic was just 30 when he left. Penny too but he couldn't stay healthy.

And I'm hardly a Kobe fan but Kobe is probably just half step behind Jordan as the greatest 2-guard to play the game.

So is he your choice as the answer to the question? Do you think he fits best into the 90's style of play better than KD or LBJ?
after thinking about it ive changed my answer to Corey Brewer
  • 4ML
  • Veteran
Originally posted by rEspEctdA49ers:

So is he your choice as the answer to the question? Do you think he fits best into the 90's style of play better than KD or LBJ?

I think all three would have similar success as Jordan. Just like - Jordan would have similar success as them today...and would have faced a LOT of media scrutiny - which he didn't have to deal with in the 90s. Something ppl forget...when they talk about mental strength. He didn't have to deal with 1/10th of the b******t players have to go through today.

I do think Jordan is the greatest perimeter player to ever play - but just by a hair. I think, Magic, Kobe, and Lebron are right behind him and you can make a pretty good case for Magic to be the better player. Kobe is just as prolific as a scorer but can also pull-up from regular 3-pt line. Lebron has some ways as far as legacy is concerned since he's still in the prime of his career - but he plays more like Magic with Jordan's athleticism at 260lbs - and he can shoot 3s too. Both Kobe and Lebron can lock down defenders as well. Kobe is similar to Jordan, Lebron is more versatile and similar to Pippen in that regard.

And, let's not forget Durant is 6-11, has gotten so much better at getting good shots with his dribble...improved tremendously as a passer and may go down in history as the greatest and most complete scorer of all time. He can shoots 3s in his pajamas. There were no guys comparable to Lebron and Durant in the 90s and they would have dominated that decade at that size, speed, and dribbling-skills. Jordan and Kobe are very similar and if Jordan dominated the 90s - so could have Kobe.

So, pick any of the 3 and IMO - the result would have been similar.
  • 4ML
  • Veteran
Originally posted by valrod33:

Noah agrees with you. He picked Brewer in his greatest starting 5 lol
Originally posted by valrod33:

I think all three would have similar success as Jordan. Just like - Jordan would have similar success as them today...and would have faced a LOT of media scrutiny - which he didn't have to deal with in the 90s. Something ppl forget...when they talk about mental strength. He didn't have to deal with 1/10th of the b******t players have to go through today.

I do think Jordan is the greatest perimeter player to ever play - but just by a hair. I think, Magic, Kobe, and Lebron are right behind him and you can make a pretty good case for Magic to be the better player. Kobe is just as prolific as a scorer but can also pull-up from regular 3-pt line. Lebron has some ways as far as legacy is concerned since he's still in the prime of his career - but he plays more like Magic with Jordan's athleticism at 260lbs - and he can shoot 3s too. Both Kobe and Lebron can lock down defenders as well. Kobe is similar to Jordan, Lebron is more versatile and similar to Pippen in that regard.

And, let's not forget Durant is 6-11, has gotten so much better at getting good shots with his dribble...improved tremendously as a passer and may go down in history as the greatest and most complete scorer of all time. He can shoots 3s in his pajamas. There were no guys comparable to Lebron and Durant in the 90s and they would have dominated that decade at that size, speed, and dribbling-skills. Jordan and Kobe are very similar and if Jordan dominated the 90s - so could have Kobe.

So, pick any of the 3 and IMO - the result would have been similar.

+ no hand-checking

But I agree 100%, they all probably would do well.
Here's a question that ignites a flame that might burn the webzone down...

What do you think would take for Lebron to actually put his name next to Jordan's? From winning rings down to anything else microscopic you could think of?

And as wishful as I am for Kobe to get his, I don't see it happening. Misery isn't bad enough to describe the luck he & the Lakers have had.
  • 4ML
  • Veteran
+ no hand-checking

But I agree 100%, they all probably would do well.
Here's a question that ignites a flame that might burn the webzone down...

What do you think would take for Lebron to actually put his name next to Jordan's? From winning rings down to anything else microscopic you could think of?

And as wishful as I am for Kobe to get his, I don't see it happening. Misery isn't bad enough to describe the luck he & the Lakers have had.

Yes, hand-checking in the 90s - but what about offensive players could also slap away those hands as well. Players on offense were also allowed to be more physical with the defenders in that era as well. Today, you can't extend your arm onto the defender - which was allowed/not called in the 90s - and no I'm not talkin' about the shove MJ gave to Russell.

Also...you can't say Jordan was better offensively because of hand-checking rules and then not mention that hand-checking made him better defensively. Lebron and Kobe are defending without hand-checking and have better efficiency AND they are guarding the best player - not Scottie Pippen in Jordan's case.

Ppl tend to cherry pick these things. Greatest players transcend eras, IMHO.

As for what Lebron needs to do to surpass Jordan? I have no idea. I guess - win couple more chips - win an MVP or two. Too early...he just turned 29 couple of months back.
Originally posted by LA9erFan:

Get back in here, coward!

KOBE
This guy:

[ Edited by Joecool on Aug 7, 2014 at 9:59 AM ]
Jordan dropped 40 points at the age of 40 in 2003. Around the same time Kobe put together the string of 40 point games.

Jordan got it done young and old, and got it done before and after the hand check era.
Originally posted by blizzuntz:
Jordan dropped 40 points at the age of 40 in 2003. Around the same time Kobe put together the string of 40 point games.

Jordan got it done young and old, and got it done before and after the hand check era.

Hand checking means squat. Scoring was much higher in the hand-checking era.
Originally posted by LA9erFan:
Originally posted by blizzuntz:

Hand checking means squat. Scoring was much higher in the hand-checking era.

Yes and no.

Steve Nash career numbers changed a whole lot (HOF ) when the hand check was completely eradicated.
Share 49ersWebzone