There are 122 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Take MJ out of the 90's, which star (of Today's game) fits best?

So my question is this...

Take MJ out of the 90's, which of today's stars has the best chance to replicate (or come closest to) his success?
Taking into account the physical play, the lack of athleticism (as compared to today's NBA), which impacts the game offensively and defensively, and mental toughness that's required to survive in that era.

Just to name a couple with some key points for consideration:

Kobe: It's often said that he's the closest thing to MJ, and my argument is that this could be used against him for this particular question. Without MJ, does Kobe's game mature to the level it has? Obviously not, but on the other hand he's clearly a student of the game, would have still developed into the great shot-maker he is, but maybe doesn't have the post game he has learned. I think he has the competitive nature no matter what, so he would definitely survive and propel given that he makes his adjustments to that era. I think he isn't the same player that he has become though...

KD: There's nothing you can do about height, especially when it becomes to basketball. I think KD is also still effective, he has the jumper no matter what era, and his length allows him to create chaos on defense. The obvious knock here against him is his frame. Being skinny would definitely hurt him, he'd get beat down constantly, and does it get to his head? Debatable, what we've seen in our modern KD is some pretty good mental toughness, but is it sufficient in the 90's?

Lebron: So MJ was clearly waaaaay ahead of his time, and if Lebron is placed in the 90's the same should be said. I think one difference between LBJ and KD + Kobe is the mental toughness. In our NBA today, Lebron can make the game look like child's play at times and I think it's entirely different in the 90's. He, too, despite being his size, would get knocked over, pushed, etc... For Lebron, I think it would get to his head, but maybe that would instill the "killer will" that people always wish he had. Or, it could go the other way, where he just breaks down and his game no longer progresses to the level it has risen to. Lebron does still have his unselfishness, and given that his teammates (whether he literally filled MJ's shoes or not) can shoot or can constantly make cuts to the basket, he could be effective in a Magic Johnson kind of role.

You could throw D. Wade & Melo in the question as well, but these guys are the best candidates IMO.

Your thoughts?
[ Edited by rEspEctdA49ers on Apr 13, 2014 at 6:25 PM ]
Dude, I've totally been waiting for another MJ/Kobe/LBJ debate! LET THE GAMES BEGIN!
Jason Collins would dominate the d back then.
Harrison Barnes
Originally posted by TheSixthRing:
Dude, I've totally been waiting for another MJ/Kobe/LBJ debate! LET THE GAMES BEGIN!

Actually, the emphasis here is on who would be most successful, not merely the comparison of skillsets, because MJ still wins. I'm talking effectiveness, with the defense in the 90's as compared to the defense played today. No tick-tack fouls, a whole lot more trash talking, and how these guys can cope to that.
Probably mike bibby

/thread
  • IT21
  • Veteran
Ekpe Udoh
Originally posted by Dr_Bill_Walsh:

/thread

game. blouses.
  • 4ML
  • Veteran
My question is - how much success would MJ have in current NBA which didn't see talent depleted and spread out because of 6 expansion teams in 9 years? Ppl act as if MJ is untouchable. MJ shot as well as Josh Smith from the 3pt line until NBA had to move the 3pt line to the college level for couple years in mid-90s to help players make some 3s. Once NBA moved it back to current distance - Jordan went back to shooting like Josh Smith from distance.

MJ would not have as much success today and I think if you place Kobe, Lebron, or Durant on that Bulls team - they'll all have similar success as Jordan. That team lost only 2 extra games without MJ when he retired the first time. That's a combination of great team they had in Chicago around Jordan and poor competition in the 90s.
The absence of athleticism? Look at the Chicago Bulls teams from the 90s and please tell me can you see how incredibly ripped and athletic Ron Harper, Michael Jordan, Scottie Pippen, Dennis Rodman and Toni Kukoc were? They were long, strong and defensive minded! I don't know any of the current champion basketball teams that were as fit as those guys. Then talk of Hakeem Olajuwon, Barkley, Karl Malone, Stockton, David Robinson, Patrick Ewing, Dominique Wilkins, Shawn Kemp, Gary Payton, Magic Johnson as a point guard? The NYK teams where you had bruisers like Anthony Mason and Xavier McDaniel and John Starks? That era was just as athletic as it is today. As a matter of fact the league is soft now and fools aint posterizing folk no more and straight punking fools. There needs to be high def from the 90s so folk can see what I am talking about. There is absolutely no edge to day in athleticism today over the 90s. Clyde Drexler and the whole Portland Trailblazers team? Cmon bro!
[ Edited by Pillbusta on Apr 9, 2014 at 8:30 PM ]
Jon Koncak because he has cack in his name.
Originally posted by 4ML:
My question is - how much success would MJ have in current NBA which didn't see talent depleted and spread out because of 6 expansion teams in 9 years? Ppl act as if MJ is untouchable. MJ shot as well as Josh Smith from the 3pt line until NBA had to move the 3pt line to the college level for couple years in mid-90s to help players make some 3s. Once NBA moved it back to current distance - Jordan went back to shooting like Josh Smith from distance.

MJ would not have as much success today and I think if you place Kobe, Lebron, or Durant on that Bulls team - they'll all have similar success as Jordan. That team lost only 2 extra games without MJ when he retired the first time. That's a combination of great team they had in Chicago around Jordan and poor competition in the 90s.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lE06HDx05CY&list=UU4YPblgDxzvmVNME13Sftvw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=we0myBZ6kv0&list=UU4YPblgDxzvmVNME13Sftvw

and what center today does this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=22O2lApCBBs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uBrEsNS9zKg

You see kids, I grew up when it was real thuggin and dudes were real! The guys coming up now are cool and all but it ain't real no more. It was grimy Bball back then and what y'all doing now is watered down and next to being politically correct! The league was malicious back then!

No bro. Today's (stars) don't compare to the 90s. I know because I saw it and I am 37 right now so I ain't to far removed from either time period but the 90s were the real deal! I am talking about ball from the street level to the pros! You got Euros in the league now that would have been cooked in years past under the old rules. Those dudes would have been punked back then! Now you can't touch folk and they are policing the game but back then not so much! Now I am talking about what I have seen from my own eyes. There was a deficiency in athleticism prior to the 90s and maybe the 80s but I have seen absolutely no movement of the needle since then as far as sheer athleticism! I grew up with some pro athletes and at my age both I and they can attest to what we've seen and this ain't some old geezer talk here. I am just 37 years old so I have seen then to now and it is darn near identical. Today you might see better conditioning by your role players but the stars are definitely not in better shape nor are they more explosive!

Either one of these teams would crush the Heat IMO. Edit: And you forget a lot of that talent you speak of, and expansion teams, didn't exist in the playoffs. Just like Joe Montana, that what made MJ what he was. Playing and winning in the playoffs. I feel that point is invalid respectfully. He was playing against just as good if not better talent than now. I mean, look at the East and tell me that's some great teams there. It's so damn week itself.
[ Edited by JiksJuicy on Apr 9, 2014 at 8:49 PM ]