LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 307 users in the forums

The World Champion San Francisco Giants 2014 Season Thread

Originally posted by Niners99:
Originally posted by MCrabs15:
Originally posted by VaBeachNiner:
MLB Network ranked MadBum at #26 of the top 100 players right now.

lol theres no way Madison Bumgarner is only the 9th best pitch in baseball. This list sucks...

Chris Sale over Andrew McCutchen? Kershaw over Mike Trout? Wade Davis a spot ahead of Greg Holland?

Davis should be over Holland, possibly way higher. Sale over McCutchen is debatable but no real beef and same with Kershaw over Trout. Brantley and Harper over Bumgarner was just dumbfounding. I was absolutely flabbergasted and I like both of those players but to put one good season from Brantley over Bum and to place Harper above Bum based off what he can be is just crazy. Bum and Price both should've been top 20

If Wade Davis should be "Way higher" than Holland, he would be the closer.

Andrew McCutchen is a 5 tool MVP CF. Hes finished in the top 3 in MVP voting 3 years straight. Sale is a great pitcher, but hes not even on the same level of value.

Same argument for Trout, who is by far and away the best baseball player on the planet right now. Not a single GM would take Kershaw over Trout.

I also take issue with Paul Goldschmidt being so low. He should be ahead of Bautista for sure. Jose Abreu should have to prove he can adapt to the adjustments the league will make against him before he gets to be ranked in the top 10 imo.

Why take Wade Davis from a role he's dominant in? He had one of the greatest relief pitching seasons of all time. A case could be made he deserved Cy young consideration so yes he should be way higher.

Of course McCutchen has more value, he plays everyday....duh. Chris Sale is one of the most dominant lefties in baseball and is on pace to be one of the best lefties ever and he's improved every year. I have no beef with putting McCutchen over Sale but don't act like it's a joke to. Same for Trout vs Kershaw

In terms of Trout, I agree he's probably the best player in baseball but his strikeout totals are insane and his numbers in 2014 were practically the same as Stanton's. If Stanton played centerfield he'd be considered Trout's equal. Trout plays a more valuable position thus > Stanton, but if 2014 is indicative of future careers Trout's defense is average at best in center with an average arm and he may be done stealing bases while Stanton's defense is good in right with a superior arm and he can steal a base. Not like trout can but we don't know if Trout's a base stealer anymore. I have Trout #1 but it's in no way a slam dunk.

Goldschmidt should be top ten but Joey Bats spot is well deserved. Look at his numbers since 2010 and you may change your opinion. He's been an elite hitter for a number of years now and that's why I place him above Goldschmidt for the time being but no real problem if you place Goldschmidt higher. I would move Jose Abreu down a bit but it's not like he didn't rake all year. My problem with his ranking is the same as Brantley. I don't like placing one great year so high but Abreu's year was absolutely insane.
[ Edited by MCrabs15 on Mar 2, 2015 at 5:42 PM ]
We talking Giants?

lol theres no way Madison Bumgarner is only the 9th best pitch in baseball. This list sucks...

Chris Sale over Andrew McCutchen? Kershaw over Mike Trout? Wade Davis a spot ahead of Greg Holland?

Davis should be over Holland, possibly way higher. Sale over McCutchen is debatable but no real beef and same with Kershaw over Trout. Brantley and Harper over Bumgarner was just dumbfounding. I was absolutely flabbergasted and I like both of those players but to put one good season from Brantley over Bum and to place Harper above Bum based off what he can be is just crazy. Bum and Price both should've been top 20

Andrew McCutchen is a 5 tool MVP CF. Hes finished in the top 3 in MVP voting 3 years straight. Sale is a great pitcher, but hes not even on the same level of value.

Same argument for Trout, who is by far and away the best baseball player on the planet right now. Not a single GM would take Kershaw over Trout.

I also take issue with Paul Goldschmidt being so low. He should be ahead of Bautista for sure. Jose Abreu should have to prove he can adapt to the adjustments the league will make against him before he gets to be ranked in the top 10 imo.

Why take Wade Davis from a role he's dominant in? He had one of the greatest relief pitching seasons of all time. A case could be made he deserved Cy young consideration so yes he should be way higher.

Of course McCutchen has more value, he plays everyday....duh. Chris Sale is one of the most dominant lefties in baseball and is on pace to be one of the best lefties ever and he's improved every year. I have no beef with putting McCutchen over Sale but don't act like it's a joke to. Same for Trout vs Kershaw

In terms of Trout, I agree he's probably the best player in baseball but his strikeout totals are insane and his numbers in 2014 were practically the same as Stanton's. If Stanton played centerfield he'd be considered Trout's equal. Trout plays a more valuable position thus > Stanton, but if 2014 is indicative of future careers Trout's defense is average at best in center with an average arm and he may be done stealing bases while Stanton's defense is good in right with a superior arm and he can steal a base. Not like trout can but we don't know if Trout's a base stealer anymore. I have Trout #1 but it's in no way a slam dunk.

Goldschmidt should be top ten but Joey Bats spot is well deserved. Look at his numbers since 2010 and you may change your opinion. He's been an elite hitter for a number of years now and that's why I place him above Goldschmidt for the time being but no real problem if you place Goldschmidt higher. I would move Jose Abreu down a bit but it's not like he didn't rake all year. My problem with his ranking is the same as Brantley. I don't like placing one great year so high but Abreu's year was absolutely insane.

There is no case for Wade Davis winning the CY. Hes a setup man. CY winners need to put in 200+ innings. Greg Holland's era over the last 4 years is 1.86.

McCutchen playing everyday is the point. Hes more valuable. Chris Sale will impact 35 games a season at best. McCutchen will impact 155. I think you need to make this list based around how current MLB GM's would draft. Chris Sale is a great young pitcher, but McCutchen is a whole different type of valueable to a franchise.

Trout at 1 is a slam dunk. Hes on pace to be the greatest all around player since Willie Mays. Giancarlo Stanton has mega power. Stanton isnt a gold glove caliber fielder, he doesnt create a big threat on the bases, and hes not going to win any batting titles. Trout is elite at about everything he does, and hes still warming up. The strikeout totals are neither here nor there at the end of the day. Trying to say Trout and Stanton are of similar values outside position is ridiculous.

As a fantasy owner of Jose Bautista for years, im well aware of his numbers. Hes a dead pull power hitter who really hasnt been much of an avg. guy outside 2011. Paul Goldschmidt is a GG 1B with just as much power, who will be in batting title contention throughout his career.
The Odd Couple: Bochy and Flannery is on MLB network.
  • boast
  • Hella Fame
Originally posted by ChipDouglas510:

Flan

There is no case for Wade Davis winning the CY. Hes a setup man. CY winners need to put in 200+ innings. Greg Holland's era over the last 4 years is 1.86.

McCutchen playing everyday is the point. Hes more valuable. Chris Sale will impact 35 games a season at best. McCutchen will impact 155. I think you need to make this list based around how current MLB GM's would draft. Chris Sale is a great young pitcher, but McCutchen is a whole different type of valueable to a franchise.

Trout at 1 is a slam dunk. Hes on pace to be the greatest all around player since Willie Mays. Giancarlo Stanton has mega power. Stanton isnt a gold glove caliber fielder, he doesnt create a big threat on the bases, and hes not going to win any batting titles. Trout is elite at about everything he does, and hes still warming up. The strikeout totals are neither here nor there at the end of the day. Trying to say Trout and Stanton are of similar values outside position is ridiculous.

As a fantasy owner of Jose Bautista for years, im well aware of his numbers. Hes a dead pull power hitter who really hasnt been much of an avg. guy outside 2011. Paul Goldschmidt is a GG 1B with just as much power, who will be in batting title contention throughout his career.

There is no case for Holland as a Cy Young winner yet he finished 8th in Cy young voting.....lol ok. I'll admit I went overboard by saying he should be way higher but he should definitely be higher as he had the best season of any set up man ever and one of the greatest seasons by a relief pitcher ever.

In direct comparison obviously McCutchen is more valuable, but as a pitcher Sale is just as valuable as McCutchen is as a position player if you get my drift.

Look at any defensive metric, Trout's defense I beyond overrated by fans. His defense in center is average to below average, just because he makes flashy plays doesn't make him a gold glove caliber defender. Why are you acting as if Stanton is one dimensional? He had practically the same batting average as trout in 14 and was a better defensive player at his position and was almost the same on the base paths.

Barry Bonds is far and away the best all around player since Willie Mays btw
  • boast
  • Hella Fame
take this s**t to a general MLB discussion thread.
Originally posted by boast:

Flan

Must have been hard for Boch to fire Flan back in SD.

There is no case for Holland as a Cy Young winner yet he finished 8th in Cy young voting.....lol ok. I'll admit I went overboard by saying he should be way higher but he should definitely be higher as he had the best season of any set up man ever and one of the greatest seasons by a relief pitcher ever.

In direct comparison obviously McCutchen is more valuable, but as a pitcher Sale is just as valuable as McCutchen is as a position player if you get my drift.

Look at any defensive metric, Trout's defense I beyond overrated by fans. His defense in center is average to below average, just because he makes flashy plays doesn't make him a gold glove caliber defender. Why are you acting as if Stanton is one dimensional? He had practically the same batting average as trout in 14 and was a better defensive player at his position and was almost the same on the base paths.

Barry Bonds is far and away the best all around player since Willie Mays btw

I said Trout was on pace for it, not is. I have no interest in calling Trout better than Bonds, im just saying that Trout has a 28.3 WAR through 1900 AB's, and Bonds at that point was at a 23.5 WAR.

Stanton isnt one dimensional, hes just not elite at anything besides power.

Also, CY voting has nothing to do with how deserving someone is. Those morons voted Bartolo Colon as the CY winner in 2005 with a 3.48 era. A RP should never win the CY imo. They just don't contribute enough, especially a non-closer.

Anyways, even though this stemmed from Giants related info, people are getting upset about this convo being in the Giants thread.
Originally posted by boast:

Flan

Cactus League started!!
  • boast
  • Hella Fame
12:15!!!

or rainout?
baseball is back!

BTW.. why did flan quit anyway?
Miller and Kuip on the airwaves...finally.
  • Garce
  • Veteran
1st six hitters v bum

Single
HR
Triple
Out
Out
Double
Share 49ersWebzone