There are 163 users in the forums

The World Champion San Francisco Giants 2014 Season Thread

Yoan Moncada could be cleared in 10-14 days....the hunt begins
Two pages of Bowker. Wow, long ass off season.
Originally posted by Rubberneck36:
Two pages of Bowker. Wow, long ass off season.

Lol
Originally posted by SFGiant49ers:
Originally posted by 49ersGiantspride:
Originally posted by Niners99:
Originally posted by Garcia:
As in, rooting for him to keep his AAA job?

Remember when he started, I think it was either 09 of 10 in RF opening day?

That was funny.

His only season with regular playing time was 2008. That was a dark year.
So dark that I was ecstatic we won 72 games with the lack of talent we had then we easily could've lost 100 games

Its funny that in 09 we had an identical record as in 2014. 88-74. And in 09 didn't even make the playoffs. Its crazy how baseball works out sometimes. And this season, 88 wins will probably not even be close to enough to squeak in the 2nd wild card spot
Yeah that's where the turning point started, Bochy and Sabean that year were so veteran obsessed to the point where Renteria, Rowand and Winn despite lack of production were always in the lineup. In 2010 it changed then reverted back to old ways in 2011. If Uribe and Schierholtz played over Winn and Renteria that season I believe we would've had a better chance at the playoffs.
Originally posted by itlynstalyn:
Originally posted by itlynstalyn:
Can't wait to reignite the Bowker Wars of '08.

Dude was a bawse in spring training

Career AAAA player fa sho.

Just like for a couple seasons there when Jason Ellison and Todd Linden would hit over .500 in spring training and we would get all excited about them, then in the regular season they would be terrible. Bowker fits into that category too unfortunately....
Originally posted by SFGiant49ers:
As in, rooting for him to keep his AAA job?

Remember when he started, I think it was either 09 of 10 in RF opening day?

That was funny.

His only season with regular playing time was 2008. That was a dark year.
So dark that I was ecstatic we won 72 games with the lack of talent we had then we easily could've lost 100 games

Its funny that in 09 we had an identical record as in 2014. 88-74. And in 09 didn't even make the playoffs. Its crazy how baseball works out sometimes. And this season, 88 wins will probably not even be close to enough to squeak in the 2nd wild card spot
Yeah that's where the turning point started, Bochy and Sabean that year were so veteran obsessed to the point where Renteria, Rowand and Winn despite lack of production were always in the lineup. In 2010 it changed then reverted back to old ways in 2011. If Uribe and Schierholtz played over Winn and Renteria that season I believe we would've had a better chance at the playoffs.

Yeah for sure. Also, Andres Torres was on that team and I remember wondering why he never got much of a chance over Rowand. I guess its about the $$$. Either way, I remember 09 as a pretty exciting season and it was a turning point because we finally got over .500 and looked like a decent team again
holy s**t todd linden
  • Garce
  • Veteran
Originally posted by sincalfaithful:
holy s**t todd linden

Minors HOFer
  • boast
  • Hella Fame
so we suck again?
Originally posted by boast:
so we suck again?

Its an odd year. Of course we suck again.

BAs top ten

1. Andrew Susac, c
2. Tyler Beede, rhp
3. Kyle Crick, rhp
4. Keury Mella, rhp
5. Clayton Blackburn, rhp
6. Adalberto Mejia, lhp
7. Ty Blach, lhp
8. Hunter Strickland, rhp
9. Matt Duffy, ss
10. Christian Arroyo, 2b/ss

"Ask people around the game for the secret of the Giants success, and they'll point to Sabean, manager Bruce Bochy and his coaching staff, vice president of player personnel Dick Tidrow, assistant GM Bobby Evans and a long list of longtime Giants scouts, coaches and front-office employees.Stability is crucial in San Francisco. For all the Giants' titles, front-office executives don't leave to take bigger jobs elsewhere. Five members of Bochy's coaching staff were with him before San Francisco won its first of these three titles.

And further down the organization chart, the Giants have many of the same area scouts, crosscheckers and instructors who have been long steeped in the Giants way."
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
Originally posted by boast:
so we suck again?

Its an odd year. Of course we suck again.

HUGE IFS, but IF Cain, Belt and Pagan can get/stay healthy and be productive, I think we're at least a .500 club this year. That's not great, but it's not in the suck category either. We effectively got JACK from that trio the second half of the year and still won it all, so even decent years from those guys will make a huge difference.
[ Edited by GhostofFredDean74 on Jan 28, 2015 at 9:23 AM ]
Originally posted by sincalfaithful:
holy s**t todd linden

Minors HOFer

• boast
  • Hella Fame
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
BAs top ten

1. Andrew Susac, c
2. Tyler Beede, rhp
3. Kyle Crick, rhp
4. Keury Mella, rhp
6. Adalberto Mejia, lhp
7. Ty Blach, lhp
9. Matt Duffy, ss

"Ask people around the game for the secret of the Giants success, and they'll point to Sabean, manager Bruce Bochy and his coaching staff, vice president of player personnel Dick Tidrow, assistant GM Bobby Evans and a long list of longtime Giants scouts, coaches and front-office employees.Stability is crucial in San Francisco. For all the Giants' titles, front-office executives don't leave to take bigger jobs elsewhere. Five members of Bochy's coaching staff were with him before San Francisco won its first of these three titles.

And further down the organization chart, the Giants have many of the same area scouts, crosscheckers and instructors who have been long steeped in the Giants way."

but...but...but Sabean sucks! it's ALL Boch. nothing more, nothing less!
  • Garce
  • Veteran
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
BAs top ten

1. Andrew Susac, c
2. Tyler Beede, rhp
3. Kyle Crick, rhp
4. Keury Mella, rhp
6. Adalberto Mejia, lhp
7. Ty Blach, lhp
9. Matt Duffy, ss

I hope Ty Blach gets a shot to start at some point this year.
Share 49ersWebzone