There are 237 users in the forums

2018 MLB Regular Season Thread

Originally posted by Niners99:
Originally posted by NinerFanMT:
Tanaka be 5-0

I hate the pitcher wins stat so much.
Well he is also one of the leaders in strikeouts and has a good ERA as well.
Tanaka be 5-0

He's on my fantasy team. Wont complain.
  • jrg
  • Veteran

Originally posted by jrg:

Tanaka be 5-0

Yeah, hes been great. I just hate pitcher wins is all. Its the most infuriatingly pointless stat of all time. Jean Machi is also 5-0. Baseball needs to come up with a more important stat to replace it. The QS is at least heading in the right direction.
  • jrg
  • Veteran
I like wins. I see what you're saying though.

A.

13-13
1.96 ERA
1.04 WHIP

B.
19-9
4.09 ERA
1.54 WHIP

Who would you rather have? Player A?
[ Edited by jrg on May 11, 2014 at 1:12 PM ]
I like wins. I see what you're saying though.

A.

13-13
1.96 ERA
1.04 WHIP

B.
19-9
4.09 ERA
1.54 WHIP

Who would you rather have? Player A?

Pitcher Wins are 100% meaningless. There have been 20 win seasons that sucked. Its a terrible way to judge anything, because the outcome of finishing with a good or bad total of wins can be entirely out of the pitchers control.

The simple fact that a pitcher could have a 3.14 era and win just 6 games (Cliff Lee) because of his crap run support, or could have a 4.00+ era and have 20 wins (Andy Pettitte) because of great run support should render the stat useless as a barometer of anything but run support itself.

LOL I've never seen anybody do that before. LMAO I wish he would've been safe though at the end.

I remember watching this game! I was screaming at the tv at that moron. hahaha I was so mad.
  • jrg
  • Veteran
lol

//
whats funny about that jrg? Its just a great play/pick off? Did I miss something funny?

Ken Rosenthal ‏@Ken_Rosenthal 2m Sources: Jose Fernandez expected to be placed on disabled list. Exact nature of injury not known. #Marlins
Ken Rosenthal ‏@Ken_Rosenthal 36s #Marlins manager Mike Redmond meeting with media at 630E/330P

Uh oh
Ken Rosenthal ‏@Ken_Rosenthal 1m Results of MRI pending for Fernandez. Headed back to Miami.
Ken Rosenthal ‏@Ken_Rosenthal 53s Fernandez said he had discomfort after last start against Padres.
David O'Brien ‏@ajcbraves 1m For sake of baseball, hope that #Marlins Jose Fernandez isn't TJ. Too special a talent, like Harvey. Hate to see them go down.
Originally posted by valrod33:
Ken Rosenthal ‏@Ken_Rosenthal 1m Results of MRI pending for Fernandez. Headed back to Miami.
Ken Rosenthal ‏@Ken_Rosenthal 53s Fernandez said he had discomfort after last start against Padres.
David O'Brien ‏@ajcbraves 1m For sake of baseball, hope that #Marlins Jose Fernandez isn't TJ. Too special a talent, like Harvey. Hate to see them go down.

Why does it seem like every other premier pitching prospect gets a blazing start out of the gate, and then needs TJ surgery? Wainwright, Strasburg, Harvey, Matt Moore, now it looks like Fernandez, etc.

There has to be something related to mechanics, and being babied in the minors. Its like once they take the workload of an ace, their elbow cant handle it.

Guys back in the old days used to go 9 innings every 4th day and had long careers, and that was back when that type of injury ended your career.

They need to stop babying these kids and let them build some up some stamina.

Its interesting you dont see the old pitching motions anymore either. I know they say the less moving parts the better, but it was good enough for HOFers like Bob Feller and Juan Marichal..
  • jrg
  • Veteran
Originally posted by valrod33:

Why does it seem like every other premier pitching prospect gets a blazing start out of the gate, and then needs TJ surgery? Wainwright, Strasburg, Harvey, Matt Moore, now it looks like Fernandez, etc.

There has to be something related to mechanics, and being babied in the minors. Its like once they take the workload of an ace, their elbow cant handle it.

Guys back in the old days used to go 9 innings every 4th day and had long careers, and that was back when that type of injury ended your career.

They need to stop babying these kids and let them build some up some stamina.

Its interesting you dont see the old pitching motions anymore either. I know they say the less moving parts the better, but it was good enough for HOFers like Bob Feller and Juan Marichal..

This. Now there are pitch counts and innings limits and young pitchers are going down like flies.
Um you don't think it could be cause they are pitching too much when they are young?
Share 49ersWebzone