lol marsh

Oh I forgot you were a pitcher and had the surgery so you would know
  • jrg
  • Veteran
Originally posted by marshniners24:
Originally posted by jrg:
lol marsh

you missed the point completely. of course its because they're young and are getting innings too quickly.

like niners99 said, "Guys back in the old days used to go 9 innings every 4th day and had long careers, and that was back when that type of injury ended your career."

always so defensive...calm down dude lol
lol marsh

you missed the point completely. of course its because they're young and are getting innings too quickly.

like niners99 said, "Guys back in the old days used to go 9 innings every 4th day and had long careers, and that was back when that type of injury ended your career."

always so defensive...calm down dude lol

Wat
I was talking to some of the parents at my sons teeball game last week and they were talking about making their kids pick one sport and just having them play it year round.

Thats where the problem is especially for the Kids that pick baseball. they have those kids pitching year round not giving their arms a rest. So by the time these guy hit 25 they are already blowing out their arms.

Nolan Ryan pitched 5000+ innings and had 5000+ Ks and never had arm problems. I bet he wasnt in year round baseball as a kid
Originally posted by valrod33:
I was talking to some of the parents at my sons teeball game last week and they were talking about making their kids pick one sport and just having them play it year round.

Thats where the problem is especially for the Kids that pick baseball. they have those kids pitching year round not giving their arms a rest. So by the time these guy hit 25 they are already blowing out their arms.

Nolan Ryan pitched 5000+ innings and had 5000+ Ks and never had arm problems. I bet he wasnt in year round baseball as a kid

That's what I'm sayin
Um you don't think it could be cause they are pitching too much when they are young?

This is absolutely a huge part, and anyone who doesnt know is wrong. Kids play baseball year round, and still have to pitch at clinics, camps, tryouts, etc. They literally pitch 4 different seasons a year. I watch kids who pitch growing up with my son and they throw a ton of innings. And they do it year round. I think the minor leagues share the blame as well in development, but there is a huge amount of stress being putting on these stud pitchers in youth. Also, kids are pitching breaking balls, etc way too young and it catches up to them.
There are a few problems with developing arms and why there is a huge increase in TJs.

1. kids pitch too much now, baseball is year round
  2. kids throw harder now and earlier than before
  3. They throw too many breaking balls when they are young and their arms are developing
  4. Minor leagues baby these kids when they get to the majors
  5. pitching counts are not an effective way to monitor the youth, because you have no idea where else they pitch. Parents need to make better decisions
  • jrg
  • Veteran
I think the breaking balls at such a young age is what does it. Pitching year round is one thing, but if you're throwing fastballs at a young age and work on breaking pitches when you're older that can help. These pitchers get to the MLB and have an insane curve out of the gates because they've been working on it since they were 13.
I think the breaking balls at such a young age is what does it. Pitching year round is one thing, but if you're throwing fastballs at a young age and work on breaking pitches when you're older that can help. These pitchers get to the MLB and have an insane curve out of the gates because they've been working on it since they were 13.

These kids literally pitch three times a week year round now. I have watched it for years. Breaking balls are horrible also. My sons team just had a kid have TJ. he pitches for 4 different teams; HS, and three all-star teams, plus camps and clinics. He throws about 92 and got a full ride to Liberty..,which may be in jeopardy. This is very common. Kids now are have TJ at a huge rate.

When you add the fact that these kids are overworked and mismanaged in the pros, its a recipe for disaster.

also, an important point I forgot than I am done...pitch count goes out the window after little league really, and it switches to max inning a week. Which in theory works, but many coaches abuse it. I had a kid throw 7 innings against my sons high school team but threw 140 pitches. At age 17. WTF. That is very common. And when kids pitch on a few teams, max innings a week is worthless.
Originally posted by Rubberneck36:
also, an important point I forgot than I am done...pitch count goes out the window after little league really, and it switches to max inning a week. Which in theory works, but many coaches abuse it. I had a kid throw 7 innings against my sons high school team but threw 140 pitches. At age 17. WTF. That is very common. And when kids pitch on a few teams, max innings a week is worthless.

I agree that pitch count and number of high velocity and high stress pitches thrown in high school and summer leagues is a huge factor in the number of injuries. It isnt just throwing breaking pitches. Its a combination of everything you listed that factors in to this. Some of it is mechanics but I think that the young elbow is just not meant to throw 90 mph over and over and when there is overuse there will most likely be injury that goes with it.
  • jrg
  • Veteran
lol awesome
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
Originally posted by Rubberneck36:

I agree that pitch count and number of high velocity and high stress pitches thrown in high school and summer leagues is a huge factor in the number of injuries. It isnt just throwing breaking pitches. Its a combination of everything you listed that factors in to this. Some of it is mechanics but I think that the young elbow is just not meant to throw 90 mph over and over and when there is overuse there will most likely be injury that goes with it.

Yep
Share 49ersWebzone