LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 291 users in the forums

2018 MLB Regular Season Thread

Finally, and then I am done with this debate because quite frankly neither of us are going to change opinions...

It is called the Most Valuable PLAYER. Not pitcher, not hitter but PLAYER. As long as that is what its called then pitchers should have the ability to win the award when they clearly are the best PLAYER in the league for any given year. Just seems so obvious. Pitchers have won the MVP award in every decade except one since the beginning of time and its not going to change anytime soon.
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
Finally, and then I am done with this debate because quite frankly neither of us are going to change opinions...

It is called the Most Valuable PLAYER. Not pitcher, not hitter but PLAYER. As long as that is what its called then pitchers should have the ability to win the award when they clearly are the best PLAYER in the league for any given year. Just seems so obvious. Pitchers have won the MVP award in every decade except one since the beginning of time and its not going to change anytime soon.

Boom
Originally posted by Niners99:
Originally posted by valrod33:
MVP is most valuable player, not most valuable hitter. Last i checked pitchers were players too. Kershaw for MVP

Val.. This we agree on. Kershaw is having one of the greatest pitching seaons ever and is the reason the Dodgers are going to make the playoffs.

Dodgers record when Kershaw starts..... 21-4
Dodgers record when anyone else starts..... 64-60

So Kershaw turns a team that is basically a .500 club into a potential WS winner. How is that not worthy of being MVP?

Thats flawed logic. There would be someone in his place if he wasnt there.

Kershaw will have only pitched in 35 of his teams' 162 games. You just cant be the MVP with that low % of playing time. 4 of every 5 games Kershaw is spitting sunflower seeds and joking with teammates for the whole game.

The reason they have the CY award is for pitchers to get MVP type recognition for what they do.

LOL. OK. Actually you CAN be the MVP and he WILL be the MVP. Sorry if you dont like it but its happened plenty of times for guys not having as good of a year as Kershaw. And that is laughable about someone would be there in his place. You are right.. then the Dodgers would be out of the playoff hunt.

"Can't" implies my opinion. I understand that pitchers have won the MVP before. I'll clarify for you, pitchers SHOULDNT win the MVP award.

If Clayton Kershaw was not able to pitch this season, the Dodgers wouldnt have just rolled out a mediocre SP. They wouldve bought someone good, or traded for someone good. Its the Dodgers. So the hypothetical substitution of Kershaw with a replacement level player doesnt represent much.

In 8 of Kershaw's starts this season, the Dodgers scored enough runs to win by 4 runs or more, which even a replacement level player could have handled.

The Dodgers would still be holding a Wild Card spot if a pitcher had gone 15-10 in those starts instead of 21-4. To say a team with a $230 mil. payroll would be a non factor without 1 player is going overboard.

64-60 when Kershaw doesnt start. SO much for your $230 Million dollar theory. He IS the difference between them being an OK team and them being a team that could win it all. He is going to win it all and should win it all. Pitchers should be able to be MVP if they clearly are the best player, the most dominant player, and the biggest difference maker in the league. Kershaw clearly is that player this year.

Kershaw is first in ALL of baseball among SPS in:
* wins
* era
* whip
* war
* winning %
* K's per 9
* QS percentage

Oh.. and you are a big WAR guy I think. Only Mike Trout has a higher WAR than Kershaw 7.8 to 7.6. I was listening to ESPN the other night and Rick Sutcliff made a point that he NEVER thinks a SP should win the MVP - except for this year. Kershaw in his mind is clearly so good that he is the exception.

Like I just said, their record would be 79-70 if a replacement pitcher went 15-10 instead of 21-4, which would still be good for a Wild Card spot right now.

And thats if the Dodgers didnt make some huge splash to replace him in the rotation, which we all know they would have. They probably wouldve traded for David Price or Jon Lester.

Kershaw is great. We all know. Im just opposed to a pitcher winning an award that I think should be reserved for an everyday play. Kershaw will win the CY by a country mile. The CY is thought of as the pitchers MVP, so he will get his recognition. Greg Maddux never won an MVP award for the things he did in the early to mid 90's. He had seasons that were just as deserving. So did Pedro Martinez. This isnt the first time a pitcher has been this good. Look up Pedro's 1999 and 2000 seasons. Arguably two of the best ever.

Look at the ERA+ on Pedro for 1999 and 2000, and on Maddux for 1994 and 1995.

243 and 291 for Pedro.

271 and 260 for Maddux.

Kershaw is at 210 this year, and 196 last year.
Like I just said, their record would be 79-70 if a replacement pitcher went 15-10 instead of 21-4, which would still be good for a Wild Card spot right now.

And thats if the Dodgers didnt make some huge splash to replace him in the rotation, which we all know they would have. They probably wouldve traded for David Price or Jon Lester.

Kershaw is great. We all know. Im just opposed to a pitcher winning an award that I think should be reserved for an everyday play. Kershaw will win the CY by a country mile. The CY is thought of as the pitchers MVP, so he will get his recognition. Greg Maddux never won an MVP award for the things he did in the early to mid 90's. He had seasons that were just as deserving. So did Pedro Martinez. This isnt the first time a pitcher has been this good. Look up Pedro's 1999 and 2000 seasons. Arguably two of the best ever.

Look at the ERA+ on Pedro for 1999 and 2000, and on Maddux for 1994 and 1995.

243 and 291 for Pedro.

271 and 260 for Maddux.

Kershaw is at 210 this year, and 196 last year.

In my opinion Pedro should have won the MVP in 1999. He came in 2nd but actually got the most first place votes. It was a crime that he didnt win the award in one of the greatest pitching seasons ever. So, I agree. Not sure it has to do with 2014 and Clayton Kershaw though. In 1999 Pudge Rodriguez had an incredible year. No one in 2014 comes close to his numbers.
Batters should be able to win the Cy young
Originally posted by marshulk:

They do have the Hank Aaron award which is given to the best hitter in each league as well as the Silver Slugger Awards which are given to the best hitters at each positon. Pitchers win the Silver Slugger Awards too.
Originally posted by marshulk:

Originally posted by jrg:

Ump only got one game. What a bunch of BS.
Ron Washington resigned because he cheated on his wife of 42 years. Says its the only time but I doubt it.
  • jrg
  • Veteran
Originally posted by JustinMT:
Ron Washington resigned because he cheated on his wife of 42 years. Says its the only time but I doubt it.

think of all those hookers around him when he was strung out

Just dont understand why that would make you quit your job though. She must have given him the old.. either you quit or I'm leaving you.
  • jrg
  • Veteran
I'll just leave this here....

Google wants you to be more specific about 'Braves collapse'

link
Originally posted by jrg:
I'll just leave this here....

Google wants you to be more specific about 'Braves collapse'

link

Poor Val

Just dont understand why that would make you quit your job though. She must have given him the old.. either you quit or I'm leaving you.

He loves her enough to give up a premier, multi-million dollar job, but not enough to keep from cheating on her....huh...

He loves her enough to give up a premier, multi-million dollar job, but not enough to keep from cheating on her....huh...

Something doesnt add up.
Share 49ersWebzone