There are 200 users in the forums

2018 MLB Regular Season Thread

• jrg
  • Veteran
Jonathan Broxton to Brewers

Adam Dunn to A's
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
Originally posted by LA9erFan:
Where do you think Kershaw is going to go down in history? Dude's gonna have 3 Cy Youngs and he's 26 years old. First to 16 wins this year despite being on the DL for 5 weeks.

I think he will go down as one of the 5 best left hand pitchers to ever play and will be a Hall of Famer. Of course injuries can change things but I dont see that happening for Kershaw given his size and throwing motion.

Sandy Koufax
Randy Johnson
Steve Carlton
Warren Spahn
Clayton Kershaw

No Whitey Ford, Lefty Grove, or Carl Hubbell?

Also, Among those 8 names, Kershaw is the only one without a ring. Plenty of time left for him to get one (hopefully not), but if he wants to built a case to pass some of those guys, hes going to need to either win a ring or 2. It seems that pitchers really need that ring to be taken seriously as an all time great.
Astros fired manager Bo Porter today citing the need for a "new direction" and a "united message throughout the entire organization."

I'm really kinda surprised by this I thought he was doing a good job with what he had available to him, but I guess the Stros thought otherwise.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/11447890/houston-astros-fire-manager-bo-porter
Phillies just pitched a no hitter against the Braves. Hamels pitched the first 6 innings and three relievers finished the job.
Originally posted by JustinMT:
Phillies just pitched a no hitter against the Braves. Hamels pitched the first 6 innings and three relievers finished the job.

Combined no hitters never feel very significant. It still counts, but its not really the same amazing accomplishment of one guy finishing the game.
Originally posted by Niners99:
Originally posted by JustinMT:

Combined no hitters never feel very significant. It still counts, but its not really the same amazing accomplishment of one guy finishing the game.

I agree but since Hamels had already thrown over 100 pitches after 6 I understand why he was pulled.
[ Edited by JustinMT on Sep 1, 2014 at 1:52 PM ]
  • jimrat
  • Veteran
Jason Giambi is still playing
  • jrg
  • Veteran
Originally posted by jimrat:
Jason Giambi is still playing

You're unfortunately still posting
Originally posted by Niners99:
Originally posted by LA9erFan:
Where do you think Kershaw is going to go down in history? Dude's gonna have 3 Cy Youngs and he's 26 years old. First to 16 wins this year despite being on the DL for 5 weeks.

I think he will go down as one of the 5 best left hand pitchers to ever play and will be a Hall of Famer. Of course injuries can change things but I dont see that happening for Kershaw given his size and throwing motion.

Sandy Koufax
Randy Johnson
Steve Carlton
Warren Spahn
Clayton Kershaw

No Whitey Ford, Lefty Grove, or Carl Hubbell?

Also, Among those 8 names, Kershaw is the only one without a ring. Plenty of time left for him to get one (hopefully not), but if he wants to built a case to pass some of those guys, hes going to need to either win a ring or 2. It seems that pitchers really need that ring to be taken seriously as an all time great.

I dont agree with the ring. A pitcher is based on what he can do on the mound in his given starts. He has no control over the teams success in the other 80% of the games they play. Whitey Ford was the beneficiary of playing on a team that was incredibly stacked. Not to take anything away from him, but he struck out over 200 guys just once in his career, never threw a no hitter, and simply didnt have the stuff that Kershaw has. In my opinion, Kershaw has as much to start his career than ANY left hand pitcher ever.

Using your logic on players with rings, that would eliminate Barry Bonds, Ted Williams, Ken Griffey Jr, Willie McCovey, etc etc as being considered as all time greats? Or for some reason are pitchers held to a different standard?
  • Garce
  • Veteran
As the Giants conclude their games with the Rockies. I got to thinking about there line up next year. If healthy, they could be a friggin load.

Blackmon CF
Cargo LF
Tulo SS
Dickerson RF
Morneau 1B
Arenado 3B
Rosario C
Rutledge 2B

Doesn't include Cuddyer - that line up is stacked
[ Edited by Garcia on Sep 3, 2014 at 9:00 PM ]

Originally posted by Garcia:
As the Giants conclude their games with the Rockies. I got to thinking about there line up next year. If healthy, they could be a friggin load.

Blackmon CF
Cargo LF
Tulo SS
Dickerson RF
Morneau 1B
Arenado 3B
Rosario C
Rutledge 2B

And no pitching. Until they can get quality SPs and can get Tulo and Cargo to both play 140+ games they will be a last place team.
  • jrg
  • Veteran
Yeah. Til they get a rotation they'll still be the team that scores 750 runs, gives up 850 and finishes middle of the pack in that division.
Originally posted by Garcia:

Blackmon CF
Cargo LF
Tulo SS
Dickerson RF
Morneau 1B
Arenado 3B
Rosario C
Rutledge 2B

And no pitching. Until they can get quality SPs and can get Tulo and Cargo to both play 140+ games they will be a last place team.

Theres a lot of Coors inflation there. If they all played for the Padres it would look a lot less intimidating.

The Rockies will always have troubles winning consistently because of their pitching 'culture'. Plus Cargo and Tulo couldnt play full seasons if their lives depended on it.

I always get the feeling that no matter how robust, or how weak a Rockies lineup looks on paper, theyre always the same team playing the same style on the field. It doesnt matter if they field 9 all-star caliber hitters, or 0, because if Tulo doesnt go deep, D.J. LeMahieu will anyways.

Winning or losing at Coors is basically your pitching vs. their pitching. Both offenses will get theirs, regardless of names in the lineup, so you just pray your staff gives up 1 less HR than theirs in the end.
I won a code for 15% off mlbshop, does anybody want it? I dont want to buy any baseball stuff right now
code is gone
Share 49ersWebzone