LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 285 users in the forums

2018 MLB Regular Season Thread

Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
Originally posted by skeetskeet:
I cant remember when I saw a pitchers stuff decline so rapidly as Justin Verlander's. He has gone from having dominating stuff and throwing 99 in the 9th to throwing about 91 now.

Tim Lincecum?

Originally posted by Niners99:
I cant remember when I saw a pitchers stuff decline so rapidly as Justin Verlander's. He has gone from having dominating stuff and throwing 99 in the 9th to throwing about 91 now.

Tim Lincecum?

Ubaldo Jimenez went downhill fast.

Dontrell Willis

Timmy never had the explosive fastball that Verlander had. Also, I dont think Timmy's stuff has declined as much as his command has. He still has dominating stuff when he has command which he has shown this month. Jimenez.. guy had 1 good year.

I am talking about an elite pitcher who seemingly overnight lost several miles on his pitches and struggles to blow anyone away.

Verlander didnt lose his velocity overnight though. Hes been slowly declining since we de-throned him in the World Series.

Tim Lincecum?

Tim Lincecum?

Ubaldo Jimenez went downhill fast.

Dontrell Willis

Timmy never had the explosive fastball that Verlander had. Also, I dont think Timmy's stuff has declined as much as his command has. He still has dominating stuff when he has command which he has shown this month. Jimenez.. guy had 1 good year.

I am talking about an elite pitcher who seemingly overnight lost several miles on his pitches and struggles to blow anyone away.

Verlander didnt lose his velocity overnight though. Hes been slowly declining since we de-throned him in the World Series.

2012 K % on his fastball.... 20.3%
2013 18%

2014 8%

Verlander's ability to put people away with his fastball has DRAMATICALLY declined this season. Of course there are factors other than pure velocity that factor in but reality is its a huge drop off this year.
  • jrg
  • Veteran
Shelby Miller, Oscar Taveras, and 2015 1st round pick to TB for David Price deal apparently "has merit" according to MLB Network
Originally posted by jrg:
Shelby Miller, Oscar Taveras, and 2015 1st round pick to TB for David Price deal apparently "has merit" according to MLB Network

Since when can you trade future draft picks in MLB? I dont see the Cards dealing Taveras and Miller for a year and 2 months of Price
[ Edited by Ninerjohn on Jul 29, 2014 at 6:13 PM ]
  • jrg
  • Veteran

Since when can you trade future draft picks in MLB? I dont see the Cards dealing Taveras and Miller for a year and 2 months of Price

Guarantee there is 0 chance the deal is done if Price doesn't commit long term. I REALLY don't want to trade Taveras. The only people I'd trade him for (that COULD be traded) are Stanton or Tulo. If the deal gets done, the Cardinals rotation could be scary good.

Wainwright
Price
Wacha
Lynn
Kelly/Martinez

We'll see.

Guarantee there is 0 chance the deal is done if Price doesn't commit long term. I REALLY don't want to trade Taveras. The only people I'd trade him for (that COULD be traded) are Stanton or Tulo. If the deal gets done, the Cardinals rotation could be scary good.

Wainwright
Price
Wacha
Lynn
Kelly/Martinez

We'll see.

Like I said this trade is b******t because you cannot deal future picks
  • jrg
  • Veteran

Wainwright
Price
Wacha
Lynn
Kelly/Martinez

We'll see.

Just going off what I heard on MLB Network John. The pick they'd be dealing is a competitive balance draft pick they were recently awarded.

The latest rumor is a doozy. It has the Cardinals perhaps offering top hitting prospect Oscar Taveras and young pitcher Shelby Miller plus their competitive balance pick, as mentioned by Bob Nightengale of USA Today.

While Nightengale didn't say definitively that that proposal had been made, he suggested it was at least possible. Nightengale wrote, "[The Rays] know they could receive a tantalizing package from the St. Louis Cardinals that could include [Taveras] and [Miller] and the first-round pick."

link
[ Edited by jrg on Jul 29, 2014 at 8:18 PM ]

Wainwright
Price
Wacha
Lynn
Kelly/Martinez

We'll see.

Just going off what I heard on MLB Network John. The pick they'd be dealing is a competitive balance draft pick they were recently awarded.

The latest rumor is a doozy. It has the Cardinals perhaps offering top hitting prospect Oscar Taveras and young pitcher Shelby Miller plus their competitive balance pick, as mentioned by Bob Nightengale of USA Today.

While Nightengale didn't say definitively that that proposal had been made, he suggested it was at least possible. Nightengale wrote, "[The Rays] know they could receive a tantalizing package from the St. Louis Cardinals that could include [Taveras] and [Miller] and the first-round pick."

link

Well.. you said a first rd pick. The competitive balances picks can be traded. Completely different
  • jrg
  • Veteran

Wainwright
Price
Wacha
Lynn
Kelly/Martinez

We'll see.

link

Well.. you said a first rd pick. The competitive balances picks can be traded. Completely different

True, but apparently that competitive balance pick WAS a first round pick. (depends how you look at it...they are right after the first round..kinda like complimentary picks in the NFL) So the Cardinals have an additional pick in the 2015 draft. Cardinals are considered "small market" compared to San Francisco, New York, Los Angeles, etc..so those teams are awarded picks to keep them competitive. Cardinals are competitive regardless.

link from upset Cubs GM regarding extra pick they have
[ Edited by jrg on Jul 29, 2014 at 8:47 PM ]
Cards don't need more pitching. They need offense.

• jrg
  • Veteran
Originally posted by valrod33:
Cards don't need more pitching. They need offense.

I agree.

[ Edited by jrg on Jul 29, 2014 at 9:26 PM ]
I'm sure back in the days when he was a lot younger he was great but Vin Scully is just horrible to listen to. Like nails on a chalkboard.
I had to mute him and listen to the game on the at bat app
  • jrg
  • Veteran
I'm sure back in the days when he was a lot younger he was great but Vin Scully is just horrible to listen to. Like nails on a chalkboard.

Disagree.

Disagree.

I disagree as well. The only problem is he does dodgers games.
Share 49ersWebzone