LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 249 users in the forums

2014 Oakland Athletics Thread

Bold move. Rotation is just ridiculous now
[ Edited by Hoovtrain on Jul 31, 2014 at 12:13 PM ]
Originally posted by Zachary:
as a giants fan... im not sure how i feel about that trade. Cespedes just always scares me when he's up. I'd rather face Lester with 2 outs in the 9th inning than be facing Cespedes with 2 outs in the 9th inning

Even though Cespedes did get a clutch 2-out hit in the 9th during the big comeback the other night, overall he's not good in late/close situations. Although, haven't looked at recent stats but over past month or so he did seem to be improving.
he got us back to back HR derby belts....thank u cespy
A's fans be like

And now the Tigers get Price...Rays got Nick Franklin, Drew Smyly + prospect for him, not terrible but not the huge return they seemed to have been holding out for...gotta wonder if the A's could've got Price for Cespedes.
[ Edited by DelCed2486 on Jul 31, 2014 at 2:53 PM ]
Originally posted by Hoovtrain:
Bold move. Rotation is just ridiculous now

Yeah, but so is the Tigers': Sanchez, Porcello, Verlander, Scherzer. And oh yeah, David Price.

Even though Cespedes could be very streaky, he was still a force in the lineup and so now how do they replace him? To me all this means now is if the A's play Detroit in the playoffs, they're just going to lose a bunch of 3-2 and 2-0 ball games.
Originally posted by DelCed2486:
And now the Tigers get Price...Rays got Nick Franklin, Drew Smyly + prospect for him, not terrible but not the huge return they seemed to have been holding out for...gotta wonder if the A's could've got Price for Cespedes.

I think its amazing how much more the A's gave for a 2 month rental than what the Tigers did for a year and 2 months. Plus, I would take Price over Lester anyway.
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:

I think its amazing how much more the A's gave for a 2 month rental than what the Tigers did for a year and 2 months. Plus, I would take Price over Lester anyway.

So would I...Lester is good and a proven postseason commodity, but Price is younger, under contract thru 2015, and imo a better pitcher.

Apparently this deal went down around 7am PT, I didn't hear about until around noon so still digesting it...and the more it sinks in, the more I HATE IT, and that was even BEFORE I knew the Rays gave up Price for who? Franklin, Smyly, and an A-ball prospect.

And then they trade Milone, a guy who's been a solid starter for 3 seasons, 6-0 in his most recent MLB starts...trade him for Sam frickin Fuld, the guy you DFA'd back in April. Yeah I liked him in spring training, but you don't give up Milone in some lame attempt to pretend you're going to replace Cespedes' production with a platoon of a light-hitting slappy (Fuld) and another "great clubhouse guy" who hits the occasonal HR and strikes out a ton (Gomes). They already have one of those in Reddick...although do admit he's been hot since he came off DL.

Just very disappointed right now, I just don't think the net net of these deals make the A's better for the stretch-run this year or for the future.
I think the Fuld deal was more out of worry about Crisp being injured
Fml. Not happy with these moves at all. If the A's were going to trade Cespedes, I'd rather have seen David Price in return.

The Milone for Fuld deal simply seems too awful to contemplate.

I sure hope Beane isnt just off his rocker.

Yeah, but so is the Tigers': Sanchez, Porcello, Verlander, Scherzer. And oh yeah, David Price.

Even though Cespedes could be very streaky, he was still a force in the lineup and so now how do they replace him? To me all this means now is if the A's play Detroit in the playoffs, they're just going to lose a bunch of 3-2 and 2-0 ball games.

Gomes/Vogt platoon numbers are actually far better than Cespy's, especially BA.
Originally posted by captveg:

Gomes/Vogt platoon numbers are actually far better than Cespy's, especially BA.

That's almost all on the back of Vogt's numbers...Gomes strikes out a ton and hits the occasional HR. Yeah I know he hit a huge HR for the Sox in WS, but I'm just not impressed by him. They've had Vogt AND Cespedes in the lineup at the same time, so now even if we say Vogt can "replace" Cespedes in LF, then who fills the gap left by Vogt? The A's offensive troubles in postseason are well-documented, but the one guy who's thrived in the playoffs just got traded.

We better pray that we're seeing a reincarnation of the 2012 1st Half Reddick, because I'm afraid he will be reverting back very soon to what he's been most of the time, an above-avg RF who can't hit and gets hurt A LOT. Trust me, it's no secret I've been anxious to get rid of Cespedes, but not in this kind of deal, especially worse when they could have possibly got Price instead...or maybe Tigers don't deal for Price if A's would have just stood pat.
Originally posted by Bluesbro:

For one, they had Billy Burns up so could've gave him a test-drive...plus I think overpaid by trading a proven, quality starting pitcher who's only 27 for a journeyman 32-yo punch-and-judy hitter. I mean I like Fuld, was bummed when A's cut him, but no way him straight up for Milone is equitable for the A's...almost seems like they could have traded Hammel for Fuld. But they did have the bad luck of Gentry going down so close to the deadline, so Twins did have the upper hand.

Milone wanted out.
Originally posted by Niners99:

Milone wanted out.

Sure but it doesnt mean you have to trade him for Sam Fuld. LOL Awful deal
Share 49ersWebzone